• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy industry pushes lattes in schools...

chromedome

Over in the Manitoulin thread, there was a brief digression - prompted by talk of the duties on some rather nice blue cheeses that crossed the border with the Ladies Who Lunch - of dairy products, and the dairy industry in general. One point I'd mentioned in passing was how the dairy industry had successfully cranked up cheese consumption as a way to compensate for the decline in milk-drinking.

This morning I came across a related article on one of the tech sites I visit regularly, and thought I'd post it here rather than revive an off-topic side discussion on the Manitoulin thread.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/got-lattes-dairy-groups-back-coffee-bars-in-schools-to-boost-milk-sales/

It's worth pointing out that the decline of milk as a beverage is not the only issue involved, and a lot of other societal factors play into it (to pick just one example, cold cereal for breakfast is also something younger consumers have shown little interest in, which has a knock-on effect on milk sales). I hadn't really thought of it before, but now I wonder just how much the rise of Starbucks and other latte-driven chains impacted the dairy industry? I have to believe the picture would be much bleaker without the vendors of "coffee-flavored milk."

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, chromedome said:

decline of milk as a beverage

Maybe the increase of access to sodas and "sports drinks" and "energy drinks" in vending machines IN the schools?   At least around here that's the case.   Quite the lucrative vending contract, if you can get it, I hear..........Mother Jones says so

Edited by lemniscate
controversy (log)
  • Like 1

It's a factor, certainly, though there are many others.

As for that, the dairy industry has pushed back against sodas and other sweetened beverages with its earnest boosting of chocolate milk, and against the various sports beverages with protein-enhanced "recovery drinks" of its own. It's still an uphill battle, though.

I only keep fluid milk in the house because I use a splash (1/4 cup or so) in my morning oatmeal, and it goes into my daily-use sandwich bread. Otherwise it would only get used on the now-infrequent occasions when I bake desserts, typically at the holidays. Cream and dairy products *other* than fluid milk, now...those we go through a lot of. My GF does the keto thing for extended periods, which means a lot of heavy cream, sour cream, cheeses, etc, and I generally keep yogurt on hand as well for various purposes. Milk as a beverage doesn't do it for me, though.

ETA: Wait, that's not quite right. We have grandkids who visit regularly, and they're keen on a glass of milk or a bowl of cereal occasionally, so I'd probably still keep at least a litre in the fridge for them. The 8 yo in particular is a fan of cold cereal, typically drenched in 2 cups or so of milk (of which about 1 1/2 cups go down the drain afterward, which grates on my frugal sensibilities immoderately, but so be it...).

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

ETA: Wait, that's not quite right. We have grandkids who visit regularly, and they're keen on a glass of milk or a bowl of cereal occasionally, so I'd probably still keep at least a litre in the fridge for them. The 8 yo in particular is a fan of cold cereal, typically drenched in 2 cups or so of milk (of which about 1 1/2 cups go down the drain afterward, which grates on my frugal sensibilities immoderately, but so be it...).

You need to teach that kid to drink the milk from the bowl after the cereal is gone. Best drink of milk in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com