• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stranger in a Strange Land

I've just now found this thread and yes, what a wonderful trip, thank you for sharing it.  How lovely it must have been to see your family after a long time.  Happy Birthday to your mum.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am sorry to say that my mother passed away sometime between midnight and 00:20 UK time on May 6th, just short of her 92nd birthday. I was just making my breakfast coffee an hour ago when I got the call from my brother.

66260152_10157444715556660_7214996632905973760_o.thumb.jpg.47d9f4c1d073fa39da5d9dc31802d3ff.jpg.9a5bd64522cf374ec08b721a3d475283.jpg

The last picture of the two of us together.

Thank you for all your kind words on this thread in the past. She was amused to see herself on the internet and read your comments.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I am sorry to say that my mother passed away at approximately 11 pm UK time on May 5th , just short of her 93rd birthday. I was just making my breakfast coffee an hour ago when I got the call from my brother

So very sorry to hear this. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@liuzhouI am sorry to hear this, but I am glad you got to see her relatively recently.  Like others, I really enjoyed reading about your trip and loved seeing the look on your mother's face when she first saw you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, KennethT said:

@liuzhouI am sorry to hear this, but I am glad you got to see her relatively recently.  Like others, I really enjoyed reading about your trip and loved seeing the look on your mother's face when she first saw you.

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I am so sorry @liuzhou.  I loved following along with you during your trip.  I'm so glad you got to go.  Big hugs from me.

Thanks. Yes, I just keep thinking how glad I am I went back in 2019. I wouldn't be able to now.

This is the second time for me to miss a parent's funeral. I couldn't get back for my father's in 2008, due to the worst  weather ever recorded in China. All trains and flights were cancelled and literally millions were trapped across the country in the biggest travel time in China - Chinese Spring Festival, the holiday celebrating Chinese NewYear.

I've run out of parents now!

• Sad 4

7 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm truly sorry to hear this, @liuzhou. I hope her passing was peaceful. I'm sure it's a huge loss to you and your family. 

Thank you. Yes, she was in hospital and the nurse on duty saw her at midnight sitting in her chair watching TV. When the nurse returned at 00:20 was still sittingly comfortably in the chair, but had gone.

She just slipped away peacefully, which is a blessing.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

I am so very sorry to hear this, @liuzhou. As others have said, I'm glad you got to see her recently, and the expression on her face when she saw you was truly a joy to behold. May God comfort you.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I am also very sorry.

my parents moved on, 

some time ago , in their own home.

this was a gift to them and to me.

Im very pleased , that you were able to

make the trip a few years ago

as a surprise 

answer Funny Hats !

and it was a long long trip.

good for you  for doing this !

it mattered a lot them

and it matters a lot now.

BTW  :  I think there was some Guinness Involved ?

maybe some Bangers ?

Kippers ?

Im pleased you to0k the trouble

it is meaningful to you now

+ the Kippers and Guinness

Edited by rotuts (log)

I'm sorry for your loss. Nice that you got to spend some with her not too long ago. 

Just went through the thread.  Great stuff.  Looked like a wonderful trip.  

• Thanks 1

That wasn't chicken

Wonderful that you were able to visit with your mother pre-covid and thank you for sharing that trip.
My condolences to you on your mother’s passing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, liuzhou said:

The last picture of the two of us together.

What a beautiful picture, you look so much alike.

It will be such a comfort in the years to come that you were able to spend this time together. I, too, was able to spend some time with my mother before she died. Later, because of financial situations and distance I did not attend her funeral. But this was also at her request. She said that what was important to her was that we had the time before she died and that she wouldn't know whether I was at the funeral or not, that funerals were for the living.