• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stranger in a Strange Land

Lord have mercy, but you look like your mama! I know she had a marvelous birthday celebration. I'm thinking you had a pretty good time, too. Happy for you and all your family! Looking forward to the rest of your visit!

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, demiglace said:

The look on your mums face brought tears, thanks for sharing. Fish and chips, yum.

I have a video of that moment which I've tried to post, but failed. I'll do so when I get back to China, but that won't be for a couple of weeks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's a long time since I've been here, but this popped up on my twitter feed so I had to have a look. I'm very much enjoying everything so far, I'd forgotten how much I like these threads, but I feel compelled to point out that Guinness is NOT Scottish, it's Irish. Scotland and Ireland may have lots in common, but we're still quite definitely different nations!

That point aside, I absolutely encourage its continued consumption. My avatar has been drinking it for 12 years non-stop at this stage...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@liuzhou, let me add my thanks for sharing such a wonderful celebration with us.  It's been delightful and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures on the rest of the trip.

And not to derail your story too much but I'd also like to thank you for prompting a trip down memory lane to my own mother's 90th.  She didn't want a big party but declared that after 90 years, she wanted to celebrate all year and indeed she did!  We kicked off that birthday year when I took her on a cruise in Australia and the celebrations continued all year long.  I hope you don't mind me sharing a few photos of that happy year! 

1554717498_Moms90th.thumb.jpg.a3e171c0d957b020204ce2ad54596980.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Simon_S said:

It's a long time since I've been here, but this popped up on my twitter feed so I had to have a look. I'm very much enjoying everything so far, I'd forgotten how much I like these threads, but I feel compelled to point out that Guinness is NOT Scottish, it's Irish. Scotland and Ireland may have lots in common, but we're still quite definitely different nations!

That point aside, I absolutely encourage its continued consumption. My avatar has been drinking it for 12 years non-stop at this stage...

😕

I know Guinness is Irish! I used this cunning literary device known as irony!

I'm surprised you didn't tell me off for describing Eggs Benedict as Scottish, too!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@liuzhou, let me add my thanks for sharing such a wonderful celebration with us.  It's been delightful and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures on the rest of the trip.

And not to derail your story too much but I'd also like to thank you for prompting a trip down memory lane to my own mother's 90th.  She didn't want a big party but declared that after 90 years, she wanted to celebrate all year and indeed she did!  We kicked off that birthday year when I took her on a cruise in Australia and the celebrations continued all year long.  I hope you don't mind me sharing a few photos of that happy year! 

1554717498_Moms90th.thumb.jpg.a3e171c0d957b020204ce2ad54596980.jpg

Of course I don't mind!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If my Mom were alive today she'd be coming up on her 110th birthday.  (She had me when she was considerably older than was the fashion in those days.)

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

I was blessed to have my father until he was 86, my mother until she was 88. I still miss them. I'm very glad you were able to go help celebrate your mother's 90th, and that it was a successful surprise party. Thank you for sharing the joy with us!  Enjoy the rest of your visit!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Aw, this was such a lovely get-together, I bet your mom was thrilled. I will also say thank you and hope you can tell us a bit more about your visit and travels! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

😕

I know Guinness is Irish! I used this cunning literary device known as irony!

I'm surprised you didn't tell me off for describing Eggs Benedict as Scottish, too!

Aha!! I'm sorry, liuzhou. Certain corners of the internet mix up Scottish and Irish regularly enough that it makes me tetchy.

On the plus side, it was enough to smoke me out for the first time in years, so I must have a good look around now I'm here.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

The day after the party, I checked out of the hotel and moved into my mother's house where I've been basically doing nothing very much. My younger sister has appointed herself as head cook, despite not being a very good cook. She thinks she is, but while she is  a great baker, I beg to differ regarding any other kitchen skills. Still, it's edible. -ish.

The first meal was steak-based. The steak was well cooked but the veg were boiled to death in true Scottish style and she over-relies on industrial shortcuts such as the potato croquettes she served with the steaks. The serving was also ridiculously large , provoking hilarity among the assembled family.

steak.thumb.jpg.cab7ef1486e5983ce73dc6a2f76fda7c.jpg

A second meal was more sensibly sized and somewhat better. Seabass fillet, but again with the industrial potatoes and over-cooked veg.

fish.thumb.jpg.b0ca61c3a85ef9387a18236e5205e2c4.jpg

Spag bol. Bottled sauce. But tasty.

20190703_194447(1).thumb.jpg.4004bdbb9a48dab814550222f011fcb2.jpg

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. She is a real carer, and we all tease her about it and she takes it well.

I did go off to look at the local supermarket's selection. All the fresh ingredients were there. I ended up buying far too much cheese - brie, smoked goat's, Wensleydale,  smoked Bavarian, white stilton. And a sourdough bread. And more oatcakes. Snacking on them throughout the day.

20190704_095713.thumb.jpg.d549ab99f8b9dcbc94b546d765e8ec54.jpg

Funky goat's cheese on toasted sourdough.

She's heading back to London later today, so I'll probably be cooking again soon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13