• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have uncovered a bizarre custom among the natives. But first I have to explain a peculiar anthropological oddity. And an economic one.

A) Founded 75 years ago, Greggs is described by Wikinonsense as "the largest bakery chain in the United Kingdom", which may be technically correct but a bit misleading. They don't sell cakes and bread like a normal bakery shop might. In fact, it's more like a café, selling pies, sandwiches etc. and  especially sausage rolls.  They sell over two million sausage rolls a year.

20190705_162320.thumb.jpg.a5b5551ec6e07941b44b513c1930eb60.jpg

In 2012, ""Pasty Gate" erupted when the Conservative government decided to start taxing the take away products. This prompted a nationwide near-revolution and the tax threat was withdrawn. That is democracy! Hands off our pies!

B) Scotland and England have different banknotes. English banknotes are accepted all over, but Scotland bank notes are often refused in England. It is an odd situation in that technically Scottish notes aren't legal tender in England. In fact, they aren't even legal tender in Scotland! The term "legal tender" is almost meaningless in UK law.

Scottish banknotes are accepted in very few overseas banks. I can't change them in China. Only Bank of England notes are accepted.

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attracts VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note. The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept my money (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else). She sympathised but her hands were tied. First time I've had English money refused.

I handed her back my two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No", she explained, "You misunderstand. We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!"

20190706_105030.thumb.jpg.e5491e2fc26943e99710dad3ef1f428b.jpg

Free sausage roll!

The rolls were good (free stuff always tastes best!). Nice flaky pastry, well spiced filling and not at all greasy as some can be. 

I then felt thirsty. Fortunately, I spotted a nearby pub I'd never visited. That'll do. The barman looked vaguely familiar, but I dismissed that. I ordered my statutory Guinness. When it was handed over, I made to pay (with a Scottish  note. My £50 note had been accepted in a book shop where I had made a purchase).

"No. This one is on me," the barman said!

I was beginning to think I was stuck in some prank for a reality television show, when he reminded me that we had met a week ago in the hotel where I was hiding from my mother. He was bar minding there as a second job. We had conversed in the hotel about why I was in Scotland and he had been entertained by the story and wanted to buy me my pint in thanks.

Still. An odd day!

20190706_144019.thumb.jpg.bd2fdf431fff5270f0911d44bd566aef.jpg

Free Beer

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have uncovered a bizarre custom among the natives. But first I have to explain a peculiar anthropological oddity. And an economic one.

A) Founded 75 years ago, Greggs is described by Wikinonsense as "the largest bakery chain in the United Kingdom", which may be technically correct but a bit misleading. They don't sell cakes and bread like a normal bakery shop might. In fact, it's more like a café, selling pies, sandwiches etc. and  especially sausage rolls.  They sell over two million sausage rolls a year.

In 2012, ""Pasty Gate" erupted when the Conservative government decided to start taxing the take away products. This prompted a nationwide near-revolution and the tax threat was withdrawn. That is democracy! Hands off our pies!

B) Scotland and England have different banknotes. English banknotes are accepted all over, but Scotland bank notes are often refused in England. It is an odd situation in that technically Scottish notes aren't legal tender in England. In fact, they aren't even legal tender in Scotland! The term "legal tender" is almost meaningless in UK law.

Scottish banknotes are accepted in very few overseas banks. I can't change them in China. Only Bank of England notes are accepted.

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attracts VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note.  The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept my money (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else). She sympathised but her hands were tied. First time I've had English money refused.

I handed her back my two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No", she explained, "You misunderestand. We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!"

Free sausage roll!

The rolls were good (free stuff always tastes best!). Nice flaky pastry, well spiced filling and not at all greasy as some can be. 

I then felt thirsty. Fortunately, I spotted a nearby pub I'd never visited. That'll do. The barman looked vaguely familiar, but I dismissed that. I ordered my statutory Guinness. When it was handed over, I made to pay (with a Scottish  note. My £50 note had been accepted in a book shop where I had made a purchase).

I was beginning to think I was stuck in some prank for a reality television show, when he reminded me that we had met a week ago in the hotel where I was hiding from my mother. He was bar minding there as a second job. We had conversed in the hotel about why I was in Scotland and he had been entertained by the story and wanted to buy me my pint in thanks.

Still. An odd day!

Free Beer

liuzhou

liuzhou

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attracts VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note.  The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept my money (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else). She sympathised but her hands were tied. First time I've had English money refused.

I handed her back my two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No", she explained, "We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!"

Free sausage roll!

I then felt thirsty. Fortunately I spotted a nearby pub I've never visited. That'll do. The barman looked vaguely familiar, but I dismissed that. I ordered my statutory Guinness. When it was handed over, I made to pay (with a Scottish  note. My £50 note had been accepted in a book shop where I had made a purchase).

Still. An odd day!

Free Beer

liuzhou

liuzhou

In 2012, ""Pasty Gate" erupted when the Conservatve government decided to start taxing the take away products. This prompted a nationwide near-revolution and the tax threat withdrawn. That is democracy! Hands off our pies!

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attract VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note.  The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept my money (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else. She sympathised but her hands were tied. First time I've had English money refused.

I handed her back my two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No", she explained, "We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!"

Free sausage roll!

I then felt thirsty. Fortunately I spotted a nearby pub I've never visited. That'll do. The barman looked vaguely familiar, but I dismissed that. I ordered my statutory Guinness. When it was handed over, I made to pay (with a Scottish  note. My £50 note had been accepted in a book shop where I had made a purchase).

Still. An odd day!

Free Beer

liuzhou

liuzhou

In 2012, ""Pasty Gate" erupted when the Conservatve government decided to start taxing the take away products. This prompted a nationwide near-revolution and the tax threat withdrawn. That is democracy! Hands off our pies!

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attract VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note.  The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept my money (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else. She sympathised but her hands were tied. First time I've had English money refused.

I handed her back my two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No, she explained", "We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!"

Free sausage roll!

Still. An odd day!

Free Beer

liuzhou

liuzhou

A) Founded 75 years ago, Greggs is described by Wikinonsense as "the largest bakery chain in the United Kingdom", which maybe technically correct but a bt misleading. They don't sell cakes and bread like a normal bakery shop might. In fact, it's more like a cafe, selling pies, sandwiches etc. and  especially sausage rolls.  They sell over two million sausage rolls a year.

In 2012, ""Pasty Gate" erupted when erupted after the Conservatve gvernment decided to start taxing the take away products. This prompted a nationwide near-revolution and the tax threat withdrawn. That is democracy! Hands off our pies!

Anyway, I decided to take one for eG and sample this unique, exotic foodstuff - the Gregg's sausage roll. I strolled in and asked for two to take away (eating them on premises attract VAT at 20%). I brandished the only currency I had (apart from some Chinese renminbi and Hong Kong dollars), a £50 note.  The woman looked concerned, wandered away behind the scenes and returned to apologise, but they couldn't accept mymoney (despite being an English company). I explained that I had no other method of payment (after decades abroad, I have no UK cards or anything else. She sympathised but her hands were tied.

I handed her backmy two rolls which she had already wrapped. "No, she explained", "We can't accept the cash, but you can take the sausage rolls anyway!" Free sausage rolls!

The rolls were good (free stuff always tastes best!). Nice flaky pastry, well spiced filling and not at a  greasy as some can be. 

"No. This one is on me," barman said!

I was beginning to think I was stuck in some prank for a reality television show, when he reminded me that we had met a week ago in the hotel where I was hising from my mother. He was bar minding there as a second job. We had conversed in the hotel about why I was in Scotland and he had been entertained by the story and wanted to buy my pint in thanks.

Still. An odd day!