• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

The day after the party, I checked out of the hotel and moved into my mother's house where I've been basically doing nothing very much. My younger sister has appointed herself as head cook, despite not being a very good cook. She thinks she is, but while she is  a great baker, I beg to differ regarding any other kitchen skills. Still, it's edible. -ish.

The first meal was steak-based. The steak was well cooked but the veg were boiled to death in true Scottish style and she over-relies on industrial shortcuts such as the potato croquettes she served with the steaks. The serving was also ridiculously large , provoking hilarity among the assembled family.

steak.thumb.jpg.cab7ef1486e5983ce73dc6a2f76fda7c.jpg

A second meal was more sensibly sized and somewhat better. Seabass fillet, but again with the industrial potatoes and over-cooked veg.

fish.thumb.jpg.b0ca61c3a85ef9387a18236e5205e2c4.jpg

Spag bol. Bottled sauce. But tasty.

20190703_194447(1).thumb.jpg.4004bdbb9a48dab814550222f011fcb2.jpg

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. She is a real carer, and we all tease her about it and she takes it well.

I did go off to look at the local supermarket's selection. All the fresh ingredients were there. I ended up buying far too much cheese - brie, smoked goat's, Wensleydale,  smoked Bavarian, white stilton. And a sourdough bread. And more oatcakes. Snacking on them throughout the day.

20190704_095713.thumb.jpg.d549ab99f8b9dcbc94b546d765e8ec54.jpg

Funky goat's cheese on toasted sourdough.

She's heading back to London later today, so I'll probably be cooking again soon.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The day after the party, I checked out of the hotel and moved into my mother's house where I've been basically doing nothing very much. My younger sister has appointed herself as head cook, despite not being a very good cook. She thinks she is, but while she is  a great baker, I beg to differ regarding any other kitchen skills. Still, it's edible. -ish.

The first meal was steak-based. The steak was well cooked but the veg were boiled to death in true Scottish style and she over-relies on industrial shortcuts such as the potato croquettes she served with the steaks. The serving was also ridiculously liarge , provoking hilarity among the assembled family.

steak.thumb.jpg.cab7ef1486e5983ce73dc6a2f76fda7c.jpg

A second meal was more sensibly sized and somewhat better. Seabass fillet, but again with the industrial potatoes and over-cooked veg.

fish.thumb.jpg.b0ca61c3a85ef9387a18236e5205e2c4.jpg

Spag bol. Bottled sauce. But tasty.

20190703_194447(1).thumb.jpg.4004bdbb9a48dab814550222f011fcb2.jpg

I don't mean to sound ungrateful. She is a real carerWe all tease her about it and she takes it well.

I did go off to look at the local supermarket's selection. All the fresh ingredients were there. I ended up buying far too much cheese - brie, smoked goat's, Wensleydale,  smoked Bavarian. And a sourdough bread. And more oatcakes. Snacking on them throughout the day.

20190704_095713.thumb.jpg.d549ab99f8b9dcbc94b546d765e8ec54.jpg

Funky goat's cheese on toasted sourdough.

She's heading back to London later today, so I'll probably be cooking again soon.