• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

I'll add that i also was not successful in making desirable (read: texture and deliciousness) yogurt using a traditional yogurt maker.   It was only in trying the  descending heat method, brought to my attention by a French food writer, that I have had consistent success.    As mentioned upthread, the richness of the milk will contribute to the texture and mouth-feel.    Adding dry milk to non-fat milk should/might mitigate this.    I just use whole milk and am delighted with the results.    As good as I've been served in Europe.   At very little cost.

When I grow up, I will make a batch using local Saint Benoit all jersey milk.    The whole milk, at around $6/qt, is cream colored.   I can only imagine the yogurt it would make!    Compared to store-bought organic, it would not be expensive.    Perhaps soon...

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

I'll add that i also was not successful in making successful (read: texture and deliciousness) yogurt using a traditional yogurt maker.   It was only in trying the  descending heat method, brought to my attention by a French food writer, that I have had consistent success.    As mentioned upthread, the richness of the milk will contribute to the texture and mouth-feel.    Adding dry milk to non-fat milk should/might mitigate this.    I just use whole milk and am delighted with the results.    As good as I've been served in Europe.   At very little cost.

When I grow up, I will make a batch using local Saint Benoit all jersey milk.    The whole milk, at around $6/qt, is cream colored.   I can only imagine the yogurt it would make!    Compared to store-bought organic, it would not be expensive.    Perhaps soon...