Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Happy Canada Day! any plans?

Likely removing fish hooks, sewing up the lacerations from falling off decks and rocks. At 6 pm sharp - having a cocktail!

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Good morning. It is another sunny but relatively cool day here in Little Current. 

 

 Breakfast this morning is leftover pork from yesterday evening on toasted rye bread. I will save my fruit for a midmorning snack today.

 

B012EE24-A593-4DFA-8DA3-FF64A77C30C2.thumb.jpeg.564846122fe29dc475f0c308a3268196.jpeg 

 

 No idea what I will get up to today but I rather doubt that Canada Day will influence it one way or the other.  

 

  • Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Likely removing fish hooks, sewing up the lacerations from falling off decks and rocks. At 6 pm sharp - having a cocktail!

 

 

Add in a few self inflicted firework burns as well for good measure!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Add in a few self inflicted firework burns as well for good measure!

I think I've only had one good firework burn up here in all the years I've been coming. Rockets in the pockets as I recall. Off to the burn unit. But now that you've said it...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think I've only had one good firework burn up here in all the years I've been coming. Rockets in the pockets as I recall. Off to the burn unit. But now that you've said it...

Heh...that or I think back to my days as a Foolish 'Yout and our Roman Candle fights....oh boy.....

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sour cream rhubarb cookies 

 

Yum - wish I had one of these to go with my coffee!  

If you are looking for other rhubarb baked treats for your staff, the rhubarb blondies in Sister Pie got a lot of kudos from people who made them last month in a cookbook group I keep tabs on.  There's a recipe at this link

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin

Those do look good!

 

7EDAEDF1-880F-464E-860B-14CFCC4BFFA9.thumb.jpeg.bb75ef844e67058f376fef4300e0f788.jpeg

 

 Mid morning snack: one of Kerry‘s cookies and a bowl of cherries and grapes. We just unpacked this bowl and it always whispers “asparagus” to us.  But it was right in front of my nose so I put my fruit in it.

 

I am still moving at a snail’s pace.  But then what are holidays for? Still my Puritan upbringing weighs heavy on my mind. Idle hands are the devils play things and such.

 

 But my mind is not entirely idle.   I am contemplating dinner.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sour cream rhubarb cookies 

 

These look really good, Kerry. I searched eGullet and couldn't find a recipe. Could you possibly provide one, please?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TdeV said:

 

These look really good, Kerry. I searched eGullet and couldn't find a recipe. Could you possibly provide one, please?

Sour Cream Rhubarb Cookies

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 When I realized what time it was and that Kerry had not eaten today I began to pull together a frittata for her.   However, she arrived home with only enough time to munch on some corn chips with salsa and, I’m guessing, guac.  I didn’t actually see it.  But I’ll stick it in the fridge I’m sure it will get eaten eventually. Nothing exciting, just ham and cheese with a few scallions slices thrown in there. 

 

38B6F35B-7EBF-4802-9DC9-97FF6F121E60.thumb.jpeg.42a1a9252b5b2e7ab7ee7844f736b01c.jpeg

 

I will likely have a small sliver to bide me over until dinner time. 

 

 Just as an aside, I am a word and usage junkie.  This use of the verb “bide” came quite naturally but when I do some investigation I don’t find much  to support this usage. I  suspect it is Derbyshire/Yorkshire dialect.   Back to food and cooking.

 

We have had a chance now to shake down this kitchen and its weaknesses are beginning to override its strengths. One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

 

The dishwasher appears to work only  to sanitize already clean dishes otherwise it just sanitizes the food right onto them.  

 

 Some of the issues with the kitchen have much to do with whoever determined what cabinets should contain what items. I guess this is a very personal matter. If we owned it we would fix it but for now we are working around it as best we can.

Edited by Anna N
Do you add a whole bunch of thoughts about words and kitchens and cabbages and Kings (log)
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

 

This calls for a visit to a couple of thrift stores, where you'll find the right lamp for you for $1.

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 3

Teo

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teonzo said:

 

This calls for a visit to a couple of thrift stores, where you'll find the right lamp for you for $1.

 

 

 

Teo

 

 That would mean relinquishing a very precious outlet of which there are very few!   Don’t forget we are the queens of kitchen appliances!😂

  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

 When I realized what time it was and that Kerry had not eaten today I began to pull together a frittata for her.   However, she arrived home with only enough time to munch on some corn chips with salsa and, I’m guessing, guac.  I didn’t actually see it.  But I’ll stick it in the fridge I’m sure it will get eaten eventually. Nothing exciting, just ham and cheese with a few scallions slices thrown in there. 

 

38B6F35B-7EBF-4802-9DC9-97FF6F121E60.thumb.jpeg.42a1a9252b5b2e7ab7ee7844f736b01c.jpeg

 

I will likely have a small sliver to bide me over until dinner time. 

 

 Just as an aside, I am a word and usage junkie.  This use of the verb “bide” came quite naturally but when I do some investigation I don’t find much  to support this usage. I  suspect it is Derbyshire/Yorkshire dialect.   Back to food and cooking.

 

We have had a chance now to shake down this kitchen and its weaknesses are beginning to override its strengths. One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

 

The dishwasher appears to work only  to sanitize already clean dishes otherwise it just sanitizes the food right onto them.  

 

 Some of the issues with the kitchen have much to do with whoever determined what cabinets should contain what items. I guess this is a very personal matter. If we owned it we would fix it but for now we are working around it as best we can.

 

 

 

I would say "tide me over"

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gfweb said:

 

 

I would say "tide me over"

 

 

 And I am certainly familiar with that expression and perhaps my brain flip-flopped on the first letter.   I remain curious though.  

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Where's Uncle Fester when Anna N needs him???

 I am not familiar with that character and so I looked him up. Except for the gender his description matches me to a T so it’s quite possible we are related.

 

“Uncle Fester is a completely hairless, hunched, and barrel-shaped man with dark, sunken eyes and often a deranged smile.”

 

From Wikipedia.

  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 I am not familiar with that character and so I looked him up. Except for the gender his description matches me to a T so it’s quite possible we are related.

 

Try putting a light bulb in your mouth, if it goes on then you are twins! And you solved your lighting problem.

 

Watching some episodes of the Addams Family (the original series, not the movies) is highly suggested, one of the funniest things to ever be aired on TV.

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Teo

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're creepy and they're kooky, 
Mysterious and spooky, 
They're altogether ooky, 
The Addams Family. 

Their house is a museum 
When people come to see 'em 
They really are a scream 
The Addams Family. 

[snap twice]
(Neat) 
[snap twice]
(Sweet) 
[snap twice]
(Petite
So get a witch's shawl on 
A broomstick you can crawl on 
We're gonna pay a call on 
The Addams Family.

 

And now you too can have an ear worm



source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/theaddamsfamilylyrics.html

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anna N said:

The dishwasher appears to work only  to sanitize already clean dishes otherwise it just sanitizes the food right onto them.  

 

As does mine.  Is it a Frigidaire?

 

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Similar Content

    • By shain
      It's been more than a year in which international travel was challenging to impossible, but gladly this is changing, as more countries are able to vaccinate their population.
      Greece had managed to return to a state of near normality, and opted to allow vaccinated individuals to enter. And so I decided to go on a slightly spontaneous vacation (only slightly, we still had almost a month for planning). To the trip I was joined by my father, to whom I owed some good one-on-one time and was able to travel on a short-ish notice.
       
       
      Many people are yet unable to travel, and many countries are suffering quite badly from the virus, and therefore I considered if I should wait some time with this post. However, I hope that it will instead be seen with an optimistic view, showing that back-to-normal is growing ever closer.
       
       
      We returned just a few days ago, and it will take me some time to organize my photos, so this is a teaser until then.
       
       
       
       
    • By Drew777
      I'm a Brit. I'm also a closet Frenchman.  To cap it all, I'm happily retired in Bangkok, the city of a street food culture that's second to none. The Thais are healthy and slim. I'm just this side of alive and far from slim. Lockdown has me fantasizing about my days working in London, Paris and New York, an existence, if one could call it that, revolving around gastronomy of one kind or another. They paid me, not so very much as it happens, to do what I enjoy doing most in life. We all get to do it, but I was one of a fortunate few who made it his metier. Well all that's in the past now, but I still dream of my time in Paris when lunch was a tad short of 2-hours, little-known local bistros remained affordable until the day they were discovered by La Bible (Michelin Guide) and the students were revolting - this was the summer of '68, for heaven's sake. Someone should open bistro here in Bangkok with a table d'hote of Soupe a l'Oignon gratinee, Blanquette de Veau, a stinky Epoisses and Tarte Tatin to finsih with creme fraiche. Ah, it's back to lockdown and pad Thai. 
    • By KennethT
      I was thinking of doing a food blog of my recent trip through parts of New Zealand's south island.  Most of the food we had was nothing spectacular, but the experiences and various scenery we had over the trip were amazing.  Is there any interest in this?
    • By Melania
      It's one o'clock on a warm summer's day in Florence, I'm on my way to get ingredients for lunch. The sun is high in the sky, the cobblestones are warm under my feet and the aroma of something delicious is in the air. My mind starts to drift to the onions, celery and tomatoes I need for my pasta sauce, oh and don't forget something sweet for dessert...this truly is la dolce vita.
       
      My thoughts are soon interrupted by an unwelcome "chiuso" sign on the door of my new favorite deli. The blinds are closed and the friendly owners are nowhere in sight. The reality of having my favorite pasta dish for lunch was slipping further and further away.
       
       
      What a nightmare! How can this be?
        A local passing by must have noticed my frustration.   "Signorina, è riposo. Tutto è chiuso!"
        Of course! How could I forget about the sacred Italian siesta?
        A siesta or riposo, as most Italians call it, is a time of rest. This time is usually around midday, or the hottest part of the day (very inconvenient if you're craving a bowl of pasta.) No one can really say where the tradition of the siesta originates, but many say it's all about food (no surprises there really).
        For many Italian families the main meal of the day is lunch. This heavy meal in the middle of the day is attributed to the standard Mediterranean diet: A minuscule breakfast of a coffee and pastry , a heavy lunch and an evening meal around 10 o'clock. The logic is that after such a heavy meal one would surely be drowsy and need to rest, no one can work efficiently on a full stomach!
        Post offices, car rentals, supermarkets and even coffee shops (in some smaller towns police stations too) all close their doors for a riposo. Everything comes to a standstill as every Italian goes home to kick of their shoes, enjoy a homemade lunch with family and bask in the Italian sunshine for three to four hours. This is serious business. One would not dare work for 8 hours straight. After their riposo most businesses open again around 4 o'clock and stay open till 7pm. Its the perfect balance between work and play and does wonders for your digestive system!
        "Grazie!" I thanked her for the reminder. The midday sun started to become unbearable. The streets had cleared with only a few tourists braving the midday heat still around. I thought about the strawberries I bought from the market earlier that week. Strawberries for lunch on my shaded balcony and maybe a nap afterwards sounded like my perfect riposo. The pasta will have to wait till 4.
               
           
    • By KennethT
      OK.... here we go again!!!  While this post is a bit premature (we don't take off until around 1:30AM tonight), I am extremely excited so I figured I'd just set up the topic now.  As in previous foodblogs, I may post a bit from time to time while we're there, depending on how good my internet connection is, and how much free time I have... but the bulk of posting will really get started around July 9th - the day after we get home (hopefully without too much jetlag!!!)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...