• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Manitoulin — Life on the level

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I can't believe it's already been 6 weeks.  I've completely lost my ability to keep track of time.

Welcome to middle age, @Shelby. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_7300.thumb.jpg.60eafe3fe76cde9c5b33fc2789e08f86.jpg

IMG_7307.thumb.jpg.9f8fd37f1776d6fdde8adc42df1644f7.jpg

IMG_7311.thumb.jpg.ca4e51512d419f8209fe680a6bd28e5f.jpg

IMG_7313.thumb.jpg.12f53534fb40b15f7d7c114af24ff0a4.jpg

IMG_7322.thumb.jpg.b0f2a851a183fa366603bf11c7670d9e.jpg

IMG_7327.thumb.jpg.a4425728437aea72998f4e4bfc63c413.jpg

IMG_7335.thumb.jpg.4d074690d61244e31d1ba872b2c2874c.jpg

IMG_7338.thumb.jpg.acb73c7287c939732f9b10915a1ddd28.jpg

IMG_7342.thumb.jpg.52eff2f7c57bd17a89c709b5bcf9851c.jpg

IMG_7358.thumb.jpg.b1da40d35f07b635edc58823a444116f.jpg

Glorious!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

Welcome to middle age, @Shelby. 😉

Nahhh, I've been like that since I was 7....

• Haha 4

DCBF8290-5C50-48A0-B7AC-BC52DC26A520.thumb.jpeg.9156c128e48d170d4e4d07ec06b881a0.jpeg

If we can discuss whale curries on another thread can we discuss purple potamus sandwiches here?   She was too cute not to mention. I have a thing about hippopotamuses and she will get added to my collection.  I will not be making sandwiches from her.

Instead I made this which is not nearly so cute:

684A9108-F1E7-4F69-893B-8FBD03D6B401.thumb.jpeg.0d21a2f749dc655eb0f91548b1aafcae.jpeg

Tomatoes, sprinkled with TJ‘s umami powder and held together with kewpie mayo, between two slices of rye toast. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

DCBF8290-5C50-48A0-B7AC-BC52DC26A520.thumb.jpeg.9156c128e48d170d4e4d07ec06b881a0.jpeg

If we can discuss whale curries on another thread can we discuss purple potamus sandwiches here?   She was too cute not to mention. I have a thing about hippopotamuses and she will get added to my collection.  I will not be making sandwiches from her.

It's your thread - you should be able to do what you like with it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

It's your thread - you should be able to do what you like with it!

We’re still supposed to stick to food mostly and we do try. We veer off the beaten path once in a while! And our readers, who we appreciate so much, veer off the path frequently!

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

We are and easily distracted group 😁

yep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

And now it's early August and I'm hearing "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" in my head. :D

I know, we're supposed to discuss mostly foo... hey! A squirrel! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So I wasn't long at the Wiki Nursing Home today - so was able to enjoy the Wegman's Butter Chicken I had picked up at Barny's.

IMG_7365.thumb.jpg.8cf8b850ccadd802db27e5ea3106695d.jpg

It passed muster for a quick meal. If we were staying up here I'd put a few more in the freezer but I can't see trying to lug them home.

• Like 9

I had planned the Little Italy for tonight - to be served right after I got back from dropping the stuff to be kept in the clinic fridge until next time. That would be the brand new bottle of marischino cherries - an integral part of the Little Italy. DUH!

So Brother's Perryman it is - with the orange rind cut off with a knife instead of a peeler - which is packed - DUH!

IMG_7369.thumb.jpg.e63fb0e9ade7c444e84c6226d1361f7b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

We are an easily distracted group 😁

Why, yes we ....oh, shiny

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

13 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

And now it's early August and I'm hearing "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" in my head. :D

I know, we're supposed to discuss mostly foo... hey! A squirrel! 

LOL!!! 🤣 

Just brought my DH up to date on this topic and his response: “We need to watch that movie again!”

• Haha 1

@Kerry Beal

the butter chicken looks exactly like TJ's

it does the job from time to time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

LOL!!! 🤣 

Just brought my DH up to date on this topic and his response: “We need to watch that movie again!”

My GF was horrified recently to learn that I'd never seen it.

Alas, it came along after kids and before grandkids. I'm sure we'll manage to find it somewhere on our TV package or online.

• Like 2

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

My GF was horrified recently to learn that I'd never seen it.

Alas, it came along after kids and before grandkids. I'm sure we'll manage to find it somewhere on our TV package or online.

If it's any consolation, I have no clue what movie you are all talking about ..... and it would be a really safe bet to say I've never seen it either!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's a movie called "Up" - a Pixar animated film. 

Here you go!

That movie made me cry. I thought you were talking about a movie with hippo song in it. I was drawing blanks.

• Like 4

A rarity for me - up early enough to catch the tail end of sunrise.

IMG_7402.thumb.jpg.6ec1dabbb1c66f9e2681c27607fbcc41.jpg

IMG_7403.thumb.jpg.db72a7017bd8e0c54c4b552aa43fad9f.jpg

IMG_7404.thumb.jpg.0e6a406a6dbd1b45ba44783d0516d079.jpg

IMG_7405.thumb.jpg.6696a68ddc0780fa4d57254002ae2378.jpg

Then we got the rest of the car packed up - awaited the return of the child - and headed out!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

We left a Little Current around  8:45, stopped to pick up breakfast in Espanola,  stopped for a bathroom break in Sudbury (Tim Hortons are the best for that!)  and arrived at my house about 3:30.   By then we were all getting antsy and Kerry still had a half an hour or so before she was home with Kira.

A5ECE374-CD93-4516-B1E4-9E63C4DA7FEA.thumb.jpeg.2efd9443118a937a589afe610a659364.jpeg

A48F8D29-0D9A-4ADA-B036-D90FD0B1DBCD.thumb.jpeg.63f6a87f8052d3609c40f260f7cf68cf.jpeg

Bacon and egg McMuffin and hashbrowns for Kerry.

DCC41FEA-3873-408D-AA6A-F32638223553.thumb.jpeg.22735c91dbd2be547e13662379867332.jpeg

Sausage McMuffin with egg (and pepper) for me.  I really enjoyed it although I won’t make a habit of it.

Thanks as always for your support and interest in our comings and goings. 

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog