• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

A whole lot of people were down at Low Island tonight - not the quiet sanctuary to which I have become accustomed. 

And the submarine still there.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

I thought to myself as I looked at that lunch picture "what is that? chocolate sauce? ON BREAD? touching way overcooked carrots? Is someone pranking them?"

I went back and then I saw that little  beef puck peeking out between the bread slices.  Sorry you had that, but at least now you're "home" and the Clipper Ship has let the memory  - or a least the taste! - of that slide into oblivion...

We have had some very good food at that same place. I know it changed hands. From now on we have determined that they still do a decent all-day breakfast. We’ll stick to that. We have so many good meals out so I got over this one pretty fast!  Thanks for your empathy. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I only could hope that it was mole.

I just spit my coffee all over my iPad.  I know that you mean the Mexican dish but as soon as I read it I was reminded that at one time I honestly believed that moleskin came from moles. I used to think that there were people who sat around skinning moles.  So you  see how I made the leap to you intimating that it was a hot mole sandwich. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Do you know how much fun I've had over the years teasing Anna about that moleskin? We can get ourselves laughing so hard that tears run down our legs.

• Haha 11

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The Clipper Ship 

IMG_6748.thumb.jpg.b62a14330bb6a82a01712b6fd01c9bc7.jpg

What are you keeping in the little spray bottle?  My bar has a collection of little atomizer bottles with various stuff in them.  Best use for them I've found is citrus oils... dissolve about 1 or 2 ml of lemon or orange or grapefruit oil into a bottle full of grain alcohol and you can add citrus zestiness without fiddling around with citrus zest.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

What are you keeping in the little spray bottle?  My bar has a collection of little atomizer bottles with various stuff in them.  Best use for them I've found is citrus oils... dissolve about 1 or 2 ml of lemon or orange or grapefruit oil into a bottle full of grain alcohol and you can add citrus zestiness without fiddling around with citrus zest.  

Absinthe in that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdh said:

Best use for them I've found is citrus oils... dissolve about 1 or 2 ml of lemon or orange or grapefruit oil into a bottle full of grain alcohol and you can add citrus zestiness without fiddling around with citrus zest.   

@cdh, how much alcohol is in the bottle (to start with)?

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

So you  see how I made the leap to you intimating that it was a hot mole sandwich.

Makes sense. Seems a shame to waste the moles after removing their skin... might as well make a sandwich. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@cdh, how much alcohol is in the bottle (to start with)?

Those little guys are around 50ml, so figure 48 or 49ml... You're shooting for a 2-4% solution.  Any more that that and the oil can start gumming up the works in the atomizer sprayer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

46 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Makes sense. Seems a shame to waste the moles after removing their skin... might as well make a sandwich. :D

Nose to tail eating all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

So on Kerry’s orders and to help out @Smithy, I tried reheating some fries in the CSO.  Bearing in mind that these were not the best fries to begin with I believe I brought them back to their less than perfect state by re-heating them  for 10 minutes at 325°F using the steam/bake function. The convection/bake works neither better nor worse in this oven than it does in any countertop  oven. The secret is the steam/bake function. Yes it is counterintuitive to think that steam/bake would crisp anything up but take my word for it.  Fries or fried chicken same thing ——steam/bake. 

55C83B09-4DA2-41B3-8548-136841F01B81.jpeg

Edited to add that I used the tray that came with the oven and lined it with foil and put it into the toast position.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So on Kerry’s orders and to help out @Smithy, I tried reheating some fries in the CSO.  Bearing in mind that these were not the best fries to begin with I believe I brought them back to their less than perfect state by re-heating them  for 10 minutes at 325°F using the steam/bake function. The convection/bake works neither better nor worse in this oven than it does in any countertop  oven. The secret is the steam/bake function. Yes it is counterintuitive to think that steam/bake would crisp anything up but take my word for it.  Fries or fried chicken same thing ——steam/bake. 

55C83B09-4DA2-41B3-8548-136841F01B81.jpeg

Edited to add that I used the tray that came with the oven and lined it with foil and put it into the toast position.

Am I correct, however, in thinking that you would not initially cook fries in the steam/bake mode? I ask because I tried some tater-tot-type-thingies that way and they simply went soggy.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I just spit my coffee all over my iPad.  I know that you mean the Mexican dish but as soon as I read it I was reminded that at one time I honestly believed that moleskin came from moles. I used to think that there were people who sat around skinning moles.  So you  see how I made the leap to you intimating that it was a hot mole sandwich. 

Moleskin08042019.png

"There is just now an exceptional demand for moleskins,...due to a report that the King recently had a waistcoat made of moleskins."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"There is just now an exceptional demand for moleskins,...due to a report that the King recently had a waistcoat made of moleskins."

That will teach that Kerry Beal to laugh at me!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do the gendarmes come for you if you cross over into Quebec?

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Am I correct, however, in thinking that you would not initially cook fries in the steam/bake mode? I ask because I tried some tater-tot-type-thingies that way and they simply went soggy.

I don’t think I would attempt to cook them initially in the steam/bake mode. But I have to admit I have never tried.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do the gendarmes come for you if you cross over into Quebec?

If you are messing about with illegal liquor and stuff like that you might find yourself facing these people: 

Gendarmerie royale du Canada (GRC)

But they likely won’t arrive in their red jackets nor on horseback.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

When I was a mere tyke, we were coming home from visiting BC, and innocent/ignorant father was beguiled by a butcher near the border.     Icing up his cooler, he bought a tidy sum of large cuts.    At the border, a rosy cheeked and rotund border control guy happily relieved him of his bounty.    Nice gig.    I am sure and would hope that there are strict rules about what happened to confiscated meat.   Hopefully an institution or such.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

Adulterated Corpse Reviver- Anna and I agreed that even unadulterated it wouldn't have been our favorite. 

IMG_6801.thumb.jpg.42393519af8646e68e75f3ac0c966afb.jpg

My replacement - a Rainbow Sour. 

IMG_6803.thumb.jpg.bdd537bd484372474710a8c143a00842.jpg

Much more up my alley.

• Like 7

Kira waiting for the fireworks. Not everyone in town knows me - but they all know Kira.

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.2f81237876a2ff0d518255f55446da66.jpg

IMG_6810.thumb.jpg.87d72e59780ab39dbb03fc697499adaf.jpg

IMG_6811.thumb.jpg.482ad3f4b598736dca50a9cf313794e1.jpg

She got quite antsy when they started - lots of loud bangs - but eventually she settled down and began to enjoy the show.

IMG_6905.thumb.jpg.dd2d4299c3876510befa4a051f534918.jpg

Not a lot of photos of the fireworks - going to see if I can upload a video properly overnight. 

IMG_7019.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1