Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anna N

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

El Presidente - @Hassouni version.

 Well not quite. And in sympathy the green cherries are embarrassingly red.

  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will join you ladies with a nice glass of Soave Classico

 

Perfect for this balmy S. Ontario heat!

 

Cheers!


Edited by TicTac Cheers - duh! (log)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TicTac said:

I will join you ladies with a nice glass of Soave Classico

 

Perfect for this balmy S. Ontario heat!

 

Cheers!

 

N. Ontario heat is pretty damn balmy today today too!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anna N said:

923256B1-5A59-4316-A19F-C086317614E2.thumb.jpeg.a6dfd2b2cda896700d6cd9906daa4ccf.jpeg

 

All that so we could have poutine, again. 

A thing of beauty!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have spam in my pantry and will try it once this heat dies down. I’m not using my oven, my range or even my microwave until this heatwave breaks. 

 

Well, if you and your spouse don't like it you could always let Maisie have it (in small increments) at least.

i confess that I bought some for my older dog when she started being fussy and refused to eat her regular food.

I mixed a bit of Spam with a it and it perked up her appetite for a time (she still requires my constant vigilance to keep her interested in anything) but I am very persistent, and so it goes.

The heat is arriving in this neck of the woods starting tomorrow...ugh!.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 Dinner tonight was a cooperative affair by two somewhat  tipsy cooks. 

 

439D86AE-2B9A-49A2-B73E-32E7B4D0739F.thumb.jpeg.6dcda8f8c9ac27e73c5615cc3cc783a8.jpeg

 

Marcella Hazan’s Garlic-scented Tomato Salad. Despite it being the wrong basil and the wrong olive oil and even the wrong vinegar this was so good that I put the dressing in to a glass and drank it after I had finished the tomatoes. 

 

22C639B5-282A-4F4E-BCA2-B77A92ACF8BF.thumb.jpeg.315076c35a0af4b8be0aa199a2c022f6.jpeg

 

 Scallops on cheesy polenta (made in the Instant Pot) with snow peas for bit of colour— instead of parsley.


Edited by Anna N Typo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive done similar w good fresh seasonal dressing.

 

much like your version.

 

but soaked a good piece of crusty french bread in it if I had it

 

if not , a small glass would do.

  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

El Presidente - @Hassouni version.

 

 

Mine now has some added St Germaine and some simple!

 

 

You should look at Ikea for the elderflower syrup... that gets both of those bases covered.  And it's $5 a pint.

  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Saw this at Barney's - still a deal - just not the kind of deal we got before.


I didn't know Bob's Red Mill carried that. We have a surprisingly extensive (for where I live) Bob's rack at the local grocery store but it doesn't contain that particular item. A quick check with google shows that price to be about 4 for the price of 1 from the online vendors so if you found an even better bargain, that's awesome.


It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I didn't know Bob's Red Mill carried that. We have a surprisingly extensive (for where I live) Bob's rack at the local grocery store but it doesn't contain that particular item. A quick check with google shows that price to be about 4 for the price of 1 from the online vendors so if you found an even better bargain, that's awesome.

Of course I have my bags of somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8 kg of hazelnut flour that cost me $10 - so I'm golden. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I didn't know Bob's Red Mill carried that. We have a surprisingly extensive (for where I live) Bob's rack at the local grocery store but it doesn't contain that particular item. A quick check with google shows that price to be about 4 for the price of 1 from the online vendors so if you found an even better bargain, that's awesome.

As a rule, if it's gluten-free you can probably get it from Bob's. They were heavily entrenched in that market before it even was a cohesive market.

  • Like 2

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few days ago I mentioned that I was interested in making scrambled eggs simmered in salsa. I had run across the idea on the website, Ideas in Food. When I explored further I learned that it was a well-known Mexican dish, huevito en salsa. Yesterday Kerry found salsa at the grocery store and brought home one bottle of spicy and one bottle of mild.  This morning I scrambled some eggs, combined the salsas and brought them to a simmer, added the aforementioned scrambled eggs, toasted up a slice of rye bread and breakfast was done.

 

25FF4CBA-3AEC-49C2-A24B-C206AA6E7C46.thumb.jpeg.a499e75c4be249fa4a41d6a2fbcccda3.jpeg

 

 

 Perfect if you are hung over because even then you can surely remember two eggs to one cup of salsa.  I am guessing you could easily gussy it up with greenery of some sort, cilantro or parsley, but that was not going to happen this morning.

 

Kerry also brought home some sweet peppers yesterday and I went to bed thinking of how to use them. I recalled a recipe that I made many years ago and I knew I had found it in our freebie LCBO magazine, Food & Drink. I didn’t have very much hope that I would find it again so imagine my joy this morning when I did.  Stay tuned for more details. 

  • Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eggs + tomato ( sauce or not ) are a fine combo

 

one I frequently forget

 

consider :

 

) 1 fine the perfect tomato sauce / salsa to your taste

 

2 ) heat up in a shallow pan , with lid just to simmer

 

3 ) drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

 

if you have one .  when the tops of the eggs , hopefully above the sauce , are just done , you dish is done.

 

if you have one of those shallow oval porcelain dish-et things , do it all in the CSO

 

the dish will be your serving dish

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

eggs + tomato ( sauce or not ) are a fine combo

 

one I frequently forget

 

consider :

 

) 1 fine the perfect tomato sauce / salsa to your taste

 

2 ) heat up in a shallow pan , with lid just to simmer

 

3 ) drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

 

if you have one .  when the tops of the eggs , hopefully above the sauce , are just done , you dish is done.

 

if you have one of those shallow oval porcelain dish-et things , do it all in the CSO

 

the dish will be your serving dish

 

Shakshuka!

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rotuts said:

drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

 I’ve done something similar many times. This was different. Scrambled eggs rather than poached eggs.  

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Anna N  Wherever did you find those good looking tomatoes?  Next to strawberries, they are my favourite summer food, but I have yet to see any around here that aren't either greenhouse grown or imported.  Neither are worth buying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Wherever did you find those good looking tomatoes?  Next to strawberries, they are my favourite summer food, but I have yet to see any around here that aren't either greenhouse grown or imported.  Neither are worth buying.

Kerry found them at Costco when we were in Sudbury quite some time ago and they are still holding up.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anna N said:

A few days ago I mentioned that I was interested in making scrambled eggs simmered in salsa. I had run across the idea on the website, Ideas in Food. When I explored further I learned that it was a well-known Mexican dish, huevito en salsa. Yesterday Kerry found salsa at the grocery store and brought home one bottle of spicy and one bottle of mild.  This morning I scrambled some eggs, combined the salsas and brought them to a simmer, added the aforementioned scrambled eggs, toasted up a slice of rye bread and breakfast was done.

 

25FF4CBA-3AEC-49C2-A24B-C206AA6E7C46.thumb.jpeg.a499e75c4be249fa4a41d6a2fbcccda3.jpeg

 

 

 Perfect if you are hung over because even then you can surely remember two eggs to one cup of salsa.  I am guessing you could easily gussy it up with greenery of some sort, cilantro or parsley, but that was not going to happen this morning.

 

Kerry also brought home some sweet peppers yesterday and I went to bed thinking of how to use them. I recalled a recipe that I made many years ago and I knew I had found it in our freebie LCBO magazine, Food & Drink. I didn’t have very much hope that I would find it again so imagine my joy this morning when I did.  Stay tuned for more details. 

 

In my mind's eye, you have immediately congered up a corollary: eggs poached in salsa.  


eGullet member #80.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Similar Content

    • By ElsieD
      Host's note: the initial title of this thread was "Swarvin' in ???"  as a teaser.  Once the destination was identified as Newfoundland, the title was changed to reflect this.  The initial comments were based on the ??? In the title.
       
       
      And we'll soon be off.......culinary adventures to follow.

    • By ElsieD
      Some of you may recall that in 2016 I had a blog about our trip to Newfoundland.  We are going there again tomorrow for a week, returning July 1 and I thought that since we are going to, and eating at, places different from that year, I would do another blog.  When I booked our flights and accommodations (7 places in 8 nights) last February, June 23rd seemed like a long ways away.  Yet here we are, about to leave.   I hope some of you will follow along as we travel through the province.    
    • By Smithy
      As times and available resources have changed, members have started their own food/travel blogs. These are not listed in the eG Foodblogs index below. You can find them, though, by searching with the tag "foodblog". The tag search box is near the upper right corner of the Forums Main Page. It looks like this:
       

    • By rarerollingobject
      In December, I spent 3 glorious weeks eating my way through Japan; Tokyo, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Sapporo, Hakodate and back to Tokyo. It was my 11th (!) trip to Japan but my mother had never been, so I thought I'd take the old girl over for a good time. We did not kill each other, surprisingly.
       
      I'll come back and caption these a little more informatively over coming weeks, but as you can see, we ate rather a lot. 

      Midori Sushi, Mark City, Shibuya (always my first stop when I arrive in Tokyo, as my preferred hotel is directly above it)
       

      Toro tuna belly,  Midori Sushi, Mark City, Shibuya
       

      Squid gristle for snack time (as you do)
       

      Uni tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Uni tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Eel, fish and scallop tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Clam meat, chopped, stuffed back in clam shell and tempura'd, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Crab leg tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Maitake mushroom (a cluster of them) tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Squid, prawn which had been alive right up until this point, lotus root tempura, dipping sauce, radish and green tea salt, 
      Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Prawn head tempura, 
      Tsunahachi, Shinjuku
       

      Evening hotel room snack - an AUD$15 tray of uni from Isetan depachika (food basement), Shinjku
       

      Amaebi (sweet raw prawn) gunkan sushi from Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       
      '
      Engawa (flounder fin), lightly grilled, 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Otoro, chutoro and akami tuna, 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Marinated raw baby squid sushi, 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Otoro fatty tuna belly and minced daikon (takuan), 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Fried oysters, 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Negitoro - fatty minced tuna belly and green onion,
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
       

      Salmon, flounder fin and tuna belly aburi (lightly grilled), 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya
    • By liuzhou
      I have just returned home after four days (three nights) in Guilin. This was a business trip, so no exotic tales this time. Just food. Anyway, despite its reputation, Guilin is actually a rather dull city for the most part - anything interesting lies outside the city in the surrounding countryside.
       
      I was staying in the far east of the city away from the rip-off tourist hotels and restaurants and spent my time with local people eating in normal restaurants.
       
      I arrived in Wednesday just in time for lunch.
       
      LUNCH WEDNESDAY
       
      We started with the obligatory oil tea.
       

      Oil Tea
       

      Omelette with Chinese Chives
       

      Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables
       

      Sour Beef with Pickled Chillies
       

      Cakes*
       

      Morning Glory / Water Spinach**
       
      * I asked what the cakes were but they got rather coy when it came to details. It seems these are unique to this restaurant.
       
      ** The Chinese name is 空心菜 kōng xīn cài, which literally means 'empty heart vegetable', describing the hollow stems.
       
       
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...