• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

El Presidente - @Hassouni version.

Well not quite. And in sympathy the green cherries are embarrassingly red.

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

I will join you ladies with a nice glass of Soave Classico

Perfect for this balmy S. Ontario heat!

Cheers!

N. Ontario heat is pretty damn balmy today today too!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have spam in my pantry and will try it once this heat dies down. I’m not using my oven, my range or even my microwave until this heatwave breaks. 

Well, if you and your spouse don't like it you could always let Maisie have it (in small increments) at least.

i confess that I bought some for my older dog when she started being fussy and refused to eat her regular food.

I mixed a bit of Spam with a it and it perked up her appetite for a time (she still requires my constant vigilance to keep her interested in anything) but I am very persistent, and so it goes.

The heat is arriving in this neck of the woods starting tomorrow...ugh!.

• Like 3

Dinner tonight was a cooperative affair by two somewhat  tipsy cooks. 

439D86AE-2B9A-49A2-B73E-32E7B4D0739F.thumb.jpeg.6dcda8f8c9ac27e73c5615cc3cc783a8.jpeg

Marcella Hazan’s Garlic-scented Tomato Salad. Despite it being the wrong basil and the wrong olive oil and even the wrong vinegar this was so good that I put the dressing in to a glass and drank it after I had finished the tomatoes. 

22C639B5-282A-4F4E-BCA2-B77A92ACF8BF.thumb.jpeg.315076c35a0af4b8be0aa199a2c022f6.jpeg

Scallops on cheesy polenta (made in the Instant Pot) with snow peas for bit of colour— instead of parsley.

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive done similar w good fresh seasonal dressing.

much like your version.

but soaked a good piece of crusty french bread in it if I had it

if not , a small glass would do.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

El Presidente - @Hassouni version.

Mine now has some added St Germaine and some simple!

You should look at Ikea for the elderflower syrup... that gets both of those bases covered.  And it's $5 a pint.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Just now, cdh said:

You should look at Ikea for the elderflower syrup... that gets both of those bases covered.  And it's $5 a pint.

I've got some of that at home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Saw this at Barney's - still a deal - just not the kind of deal we got before.

I didn't know Bob's Red Mill carried that. We have a surprisingly extensive (for where I live) Bob's rack at the local grocery store but it doesn't contain that particular item. A quick check with google shows that price to be about 4 for the price of 1 from the online vendors so if you found an even better bargain, that's awesome.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I didn't know Bob's Red Mill carried that. We have a surprisingly extensive (for where I live) Bob's rack at the local grocery store but it doesn't contain that particular item. A quick check with google shows that price to be about 4 for the price of 1 from the online vendors so if you found an even better bargain, that's awesome.

Of course I have my bags of somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8 kg of hazelnut flour that cost me $10 - so I'm golden. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

As a rule, if it's gluten-free you can probably get it from Bob's. They were heavily entrenched in that market before it even was a cohesive market.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A few days ago I mentioned that I was interested in making scrambled eggs simmered in salsa. I had run across the idea on the website, Ideas in Food. When I explored further I learned that it was a well-known Mexican dish, huevito en salsa. Yesterday Kerry found salsa at the grocery store and brought home one bottle of spicy and one bottle of mild.  This morning I scrambled some eggs, combined the salsas and brought them to a simmer, added the aforementioned scrambled eggs, toasted up a slice of rye bread and breakfast was done.

25FF4CBA-3AEC-49C2-A24B-C206AA6E7C46.thumb.jpeg.a499e75c4be249fa4a41d6a2fbcccda3.jpeg

Perfect if you are hung over because even then you can surely remember two eggs to one cup of salsa.  I am guessing you could easily gussy it up with greenery of some sort, cilantro or parsley, but that was not going to happen this morning.

Kerry also brought home some sweet peppers yesterday and I went to bed thinking of how to use them. I recalled a recipe that I made many years ago and I knew I had found it in our freebie LCBO magazine, Food & Drink. I didn’t have very much hope that I would find it again so imagine my joy this morning when I did.  Stay tuned for more details. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

eggs + tomato ( sauce or not ) are a fine combo

one I frequently forget

consider :

) 1 fine the perfect tomato sauce / salsa to your taste

2 ) heat up in a shallow pan , with lid just to simmer

3 ) drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

if you have one .  when the tops of the eggs , hopefully above the sauce , are just done , you dish is done.

if you have one of those shallow oval porcelain dish-et things , do it all in the CSO

the dish will be your serving dish

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

eggs + tomato ( sauce or not ) are a fine combo

one I frequently forget

consider :

) 1 fine the perfect tomato sauce / salsa to your taste

2 ) heat up in a shallow pan , with lid just to simmer

3 ) drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

if you have one .  when the tops of the eggs , hopefully above the sauce , are just done , you dish is done.

if you have one of those shallow oval porcelain dish-et things , do it all in the CSO

the dish will be your serving dish

Shakshuka!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

drop in gently an egg or two , to create a pocket in the sauce so that the egg can poach gently  cover w a see thorough liid

I’ve done something similar many times. This was different. Scrambled eggs rather than poached eggs.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  Wherever did you find those good looking tomatoes?  Next to strawberries, they are my favourite summer food, but I have yet to see any around here that aren't either greenhouse grown or imported.  Neither are worth buying.

20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Wherever did you find those good looking tomatoes?  Next to strawberries, they are my favourite summer food, but I have yet to see any around here that aren't either greenhouse grown or imported.  Neither are worth buying.

Kerry found them at Costco when we were in Sudbury quite some time ago and they are still holding up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

A few days ago I mentioned that I was interested in making scrambled eggs simmered in salsa. I had run across the idea on the website, Ideas in Food. When I explored further I learned that it was a well-known Mexican dish, huevito en salsa. Yesterday Kerry found salsa at the grocery store and brought home one bottle of spicy and one bottle of mild.  This morning I scrambled some eggs, combined the salsas and brought them to a simmer, added the aforementioned scrambled eggs, toasted up a slice of rye bread and breakfast was done.

25FF4CBA-3AEC-49C2-A24B-C206AA6E7C46.thumb.jpeg.a499e75c4be249fa4a41d6a2fbcccda3.jpeg

Perfect if you are hung over because even then you can surely remember two eggs to one cup of salsa.  I am guessing you could easily gussy it up with greenery of some sort, cilantro or parsley, but that was not going to happen this morning.

Kerry also brought home some sweet peppers yesterday and I went to bed thinking of how to use them. I recalled a recipe that I made many years ago and I knew I had found it in our freebie LCBO magazine, Food & Drink. I didn’t have very much hope that I would find it again so imagine my joy this morning when I did.  Stay tuned for more details. 

In my mind's eye, you have immediately congered up a corollary: eggs poached in salsa.  

eGullet member #80.