Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level


Recommended Posts

 Good morning. Yet another sunny morning on Manitoulin Island although  word is that it’s going to become uncomfortably hot and humid later today.  

 

 I just wanted to comment on yesterday evening’s side dish of corn and bok choy.   The protein choice was a no-brainer since I was portioning and repackaging the chicken thighs we bought at Costco when we were in Sudbury.  And the cooking method was also a no brainer – – 425°F on steam bake function in the CSO for 30 to 45 minutes.

 

I do try my best not to waste food and so I knew that there were 2 cobs of corn and 4 baby bok choy that were not going to be good for very much longer.  I could not recall ever seeing these two vegetables combined so I decided to Google the combination. Sure enough Food & Wine  offered a recipe that was fast, easy and did not require any ingredients that were not readily available to meet here in the condo.  The corn was caramelized in some garlic infused oil, the bok choy leaves were separated and added and then the whole was seasoned with a tablespoon of fish sauce (fortunately we had a bottle of Red Boat in the house).  The dish was finished with a squeeze of lime juice. For such a simple dish I thought it was really tasty and would certainly do it again should I ever find myself with fresh corn and baby bok choy at the same time.😯 

 

 To me it was one of those serendipitous discoveries that can help resuscitate a flagging cooking mojo. 

 

 Breakfast had great potential — Max Burt’s own pastrami, mustard and sauerkraut on toasted rye bread. 

 

89FF8EB1-1323-4D60-A780-142372F8B54C.thumb.jpeg.ea6ecc3c4b6fa9adc53a078a27a73769.jpeg

 

 But the store-bought, no name brand sauerkraut was insipid.   I am sure I have had raw cabbage that has more of a bite to it and more flavour than this.

 

 But it did bring to mind a dish I had in a Bavarian restaurant many, many years ago which I have never been able to duplicate. It was a meatless casserole of very flavourful sauerkraut. Damned if I can remember much more about it than that but it turned my late husband from a sauerkraut hater to a sauerkraut tolerator.  So perhaps I should be trying to decide what I can do to the rest of this jar. Any ideas? 

  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 But it did bring to mind a dish I had in a Bavarian restaurant many, many years ago which I have never been able to duplicate. It was a meatless casserole of very flavourful sauerkraut. Damned if I can remember much more about it than that but it turned my late husband from a sauerkraut hater to a sauerkraut tolerator.  So perhaps I should be trying to decide what I can do to the rest of this jar. Any ideas? 

 

I seem to recall some nice sausages from the meat vendor among the grocery shopping the other day. Brown them, saute some onions, throw in the sauerkraut, add Reisling, some juniper berries, some caraway seeds, an allspice or three, and a healthy portion of spicy brown mustard. Nestle the sausages back into that, and simmer. Choucroute garnie!

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kayb said:

 

I seem to recall some nice sausages from the meat vendor among the grocery shopping the other day. Brown them, saute some onions, throw in the sauerkraut, add Reisling, some juniper berries, some caraway seeds, an allspice or three, and a healthy portion of spicy brown mustard. Nestle the sausages back into that, and simmer. Choucroute garnie!

 

 That sounds like a great plan. Thank you.  The juniper berries might pose a challenge but I suppose we could have a good stiff G&T alongside. 😂

  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 That sounds like a great plan. Thank you.  The juniper berries might pose a challenge but I suppose we could have a good stiff G&T alongside. 😂

Pretty sure we might find juniper berries up here in a box 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

The protein choice was a no-brainer since I was portioning and repackaging the chicken thighs we bought at Costco when we were in Sudbury.  And the cooking method was also a no brainer – – 425°F on steam bake function in the CSO for 30 to 45 minutes.

 

Do you (or does anyone else) find that cooking the thighs this way leads to a tray full of water?

 

I seem to remember when my CSO was new, and I cooked chicken thighs this way, the tray ended up pretty dry, but my CSO (at the ripe old age of 5 1/2) is certainly starting to show some wrinkles.

  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pretty sure we might find juniper berries up here in a bo

 What part of, “I need a stiff G&T are you not getting?“😧

  • Haha 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Do you (or does anyone else) find that cooking the thighs this way leads to a tray full of water?

 

I seem to remember when my CSO was new, and I cooked chicken thighs this way, the tray ended up pretty dry, but my CSO (at the ripe old age of 5 1/2) is certainly starting to show some wrinkles.

To be honest I never looked. Around here the one who cooks is not the one who does the cleanup (usually) so I’ll wait for Kerry to respond.   I suspect not because she did ask me if I wanted to save the chicken fat.

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anna N said:

To be honest I never looked. Around here the one who cooks is not the one who does the cleanup (usually) so I’ll wait for Kerry to respond.   I suspect not because she did ask me if I wanted to save the chicken fat.

These were nice and dry - only puddle was a bit of fat and some crispy bits that I enjoyed while I cleaned up. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I happened to mention to Kerry just in passing that it was the first day since we arrived on the Island that one or both of us hadn’t been inside a grocery store!  I knew it couldn’t last.  Today when I thought she had already started work in the clinic she texted me from the grocery store to ask me what was on the list.   Not that that has any relationship to what will be purchased.

 

0D5FB30E-183C-4277-8DA8-EBE075CBDEC7.thumb.jpeg.3be294301bf4b2c78d2f0645c89e931e.jpeg

 

 I see cookies and pimento cheese in our future!   I did ask for the whole grain mustard.

 

AADC50E9-0312-4F7D-AC32-FB44DE2664AD.thumb.jpeg.a427930c28498daf829601ea8bab840a.jpeg

 

And just for the sake of completeness this is the other gift box that Kerry’s student brought up.  In his business he partners with other artisans and puts together gift boxes similar to this. The wrap on the chocolate bar is by a local artist in the Georgian Bay area.  You might have seen it before on eG when the business belonged to someone else.  

  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Last night I happened to mention to Kerry just in passing that it was the first day since we arrived on the Island that one or both of us hadn’t been inside a grocery store!  I knew it couldn’t last.  Today when I thought she had already started work in the clinic she texted me from the grocery store to ask me what was on the list.   Not that that has any relationship to what will be purchased.

 

0D5FB30E-183C-4277-8DA8-EBE075CBDEC7.thumb.jpeg.3be294301bf4b2c78d2f0645c89e931e.jpeg

 

 I see cookies and pimento cheese in our future!   I did ask for the whole grain mustard.

 

AADC50E9-0312-4F7D-AC32-FB44DE2664AD.thumb.jpeg.a427930c28498daf829601ea8bab840a.jpeg

 

And just for the sake of completeness this is the other gift box that Kerry’s student brought up.  In his business he partners with other artisans and puts together gift boxes similar to this. The wrap on the chocolate bar is by a local artist in the Georgian Bay area.  You might have seen it before on eG when the business belonged to someone else.  

 

 

Whipped Body Butter.

 

Butter from whipped bodies?

 

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Butter from whipped bodies?

Definitely the best kind!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anna N said:

  But the store-bought, no name brand sauerkraut was insipid.   I am sure I have had raw cabbage that has more of a bite to it and more flavour than this.

 

 

This is really odd.  Mr. Kim and I love really sour sauerkraut and find that the most intense is the canned store brands.  The fancy name brand kinds are always too bland for us.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This is really odd.  Mr. Kim and I love really sour sauerkraut and find that the most intense is the canned store brands.  The fancy name brand kinds are always too bland for us.  

This was in a jar.  Not that that should be a huge factor. I just think this is crummy sauerkraut.

Edited by Anna N
To change creamy sauerkraut to crummy sauerkraut which was much more accurate (log)
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Anna N said:

 Good morning. Yet another sunny morning on Manitoulin Island although  word is that it’s going to become uncomfortably hot and humid later today.  

 

 I just wanted to comment on yesterday evening’s side dish of corn and bok choy.   The protein choice was a no-brainer since I was portioning and repackaging the chicken thighs we bought at Costco when we were in Sudbury.  And the cooking method was also a no brainer – – 425°F on steam bake function in the CSO for 30 to 45 minutes.

 

I do try my best not to waste food and so I knew that there were 2 cobs of corn and 4 baby bok choy that were not going to be good for very much longer.  I could not recall ever seeing these two vegetables combined so I decided to Google the combination. Sure enough Food & Wine  offered a recipe that was fast, easy and did not require any ingredients that were not readily available to meet here in the condo.  The corn was caramelized in some garlic infused oil, the bok choy leaves were separated and added and then the whole was seasoned with a tablespoon of fish sauce (fortunately we had a bottle of Red Boat in the house).  The dish was finished with a squeeze of lime juice. For such a simple dish I thought it was really tasty and would certainly do it again should I ever find myself with fresh corn and baby bok choy at the same time.😯 

 

 To me it was one of those serendipitous discoveries that can help resuscitate a flagging cooking mojo. 

 

 Breakfast had great potential — Max Burt’s own pastrami, mustard and sauerkraut on toasted rye bread. 

 

89FF8EB1-1323-4D60-A780-142372F8B54C.thumb.jpeg.ea6ecc3c4b6fa9adc53a078a27a73769.jpeg

 

 But the store-bought, no name brand sauerkraut was insipid.   I am sure I have had raw cabbage that has more of a bite to it and more flavour than this.

 

 But it did bring to mind a dish I had in a Bavarian restaurant many, many years ago which I have never been able to duplicate. It was a meatless casserole of very flavourful sauerkraut. Damned if I can remember much more about it than that but it turned my late husband from a sauerkraut hater to a sauerkraut tolerator.  So perhaps I should be trying to decide what I can do to the rest of this jar. Any ideas? 

 

Anna, can you buy Bubbie's sourkraut?     Cold-packed and very fresh tasting.     Like all their products.

Here

  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

 

Anna, can you buy Bubbie's sourkraut?     Cold-packed and very fresh tasting.     Like all their products.

Here

 Down south for sure.  Here? Most unlikely. There are some days you can’t even buy chicken thighs.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Cooks Illustrated testers' favorite were the Eden Organic in a jar - in first place, with Libby's canned in second.

 

Not that I often trust Cooks Illustrated no matter what they’re testing, but I think sauerkraut is one of those things that very few people would agree on what is “good” sauerkraut.  It is an ingredient that whether commercially canned or homemade is all over the place flavour-wise. 

  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 4:26 PM, weinoo said:

 

This a cut I used to get from our dear departed butcher, Jeffrey, at the old Essex Street Market.  Specifically, I would use it for grinding and making burgers at home. Great flavor; I'm sure it will be wonderful bathed and then finished off however.

When SnowAngel would write about The Cabin chuck eyes were one of her favorite choices.

  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to post
Share on other sites

The two batches of fries in the freezer were removed and both cooked at 200º C for just under 4 minutes each. The first batch was larger - it dropped the temperature significantly more. 

 

IMG_5934.thumb.jpg.61807899f71fa19dac5555240e919e1e.jpg

 

Experiment #1

 

IMG_5936.thumb.jpg.6458545ea2845c6ebed4f1142b346ed3.jpg

 

Experiment #2

 

2 was defiantly crisper and stayed crispy even when cool. 

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a major happy dance when I saw this thread earlier today. I've not been on the internet much lately since I've been doing planning, buying, and packing for our first real vacation in 4 years. We rent a housekeeping cabin next to a fishing lake in the eastern Sierras and prefer,  besides our food and beverage, to bring our own pots and pans. knives, kitchen gadgets, and such. It takes a lot of planning.

I am now caught up and ready to enjoy another Manitoulin Summer trip. 😃😃😃😃

  • Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Similar Content

    • By Drew777
      I'm a Brit. I'm also a closet Frenchman.  To cap it all, I'm happily retired in Bangkok, the city of a street food culture that's second to none. The Thais are healthy and slim. I'm just this side of alive and far from slim. Lockdown has me fantasizing about my days working in London, Paris and New York, an existence, if one could call it that, revolving around gastronomy of one kind or another. They paid me, not so very much as it happens, to do what I enjoy doing most in life. We all get to do it, but I was one of a fortunate few who made it his metier. Well all that's in the past now, but I still dream of my time in Paris when lunch was a tad short of 2-hours, little-known local bistros remained affordable until the day they were discovered by La Bible (Michelin Guide) and the students were revolting - this was the summer of '68, for heaven's sake. Someone should open bistro here in Bangkok with a table d'hote of Soupe a l'Oignon gratinee, Blanquette de Veau, a stinky Epoisses and Tarte Tatin to finsih with creme fraiche. Ah, it's back to lockdown and pad Thai. 
    • By KennethT
      I was thinking of doing a food blog of my recent trip through parts of New Zealand's south island.  Most of the food we had was nothing spectacular, but the experiences and various scenery we had over the trip were amazing.  Is there any interest in this?
    • By Melania
      It's one o'clock on a warm summer's day in Florence, I'm on my way to get ingredients for lunch. The sun is high in the sky, the cobblestones are warm under my feet and the aroma of something delicious is in the air. My mind starts to drift to the onions, celery and tomatoes I need for my pasta sauce, oh and don't forget something sweet for dessert...this truly is la dolce vita.
       
      My thoughts are soon interrupted by an unwelcome "chiuso" sign on the door of my new favorite deli. The blinds are closed and the friendly owners are nowhere in sight. The reality of having my favorite pasta dish for lunch was slipping further and further away.
       
       
      What a nightmare! How can this be?
        A local passing by must have noticed my frustration.   "Signorina, è riposo. Tutto è chiuso!"
        Of course! How could I forget about the sacred Italian siesta?
        A siesta or riposo, as most Italians call it, is a time of rest. This time is usually around midday, or the hottest part of the day (very inconvenient if you're craving a bowl of pasta.) No one can really say where the tradition of the siesta originates, but many say it's all about food (no surprises there really).
        For many Italian families the main meal of the day is lunch. This heavy meal in the middle of the day is attributed to the standard Mediterranean diet: A minuscule breakfast of a coffee and pastry , a heavy lunch and an evening meal around 10 o'clock. The logic is that after such a heavy meal one would surely be drowsy and need to rest, no one can work efficiently on a full stomach!
        Post offices, car rentals, supermarkets and even coffee shops (in some smaller towns police stations too) all close their doors for a riposo. Everything comes to a standstill as every Italian goes home to kick of their shoes, enjoy a homemade lunch with family and bask in the Italian sunshine for three to four hours. This is serious business. One would not dare work for 8 hours straight. After their riposo most businesses open again around 4 o'clock and stay open till 7pm. Its the perfect balance between work and play and does wonders for your digestive system!
        "Grazie!" I thanked her for the reminder. The midday sun started to become unbearable. The streets had cleared with only a few tourists braving the midday heat still around. I thought about the strawberries I bought from the market earlier that week. Strawberries for lunch on my shaded balcony and maybe a nap afterwards sounded like my perfect riposo. The pasta will have to wait till 4.
               
           
    • By KennethT
      OK.... here we go again!!!  While this post is a bit premature (we don't take off until around 1:30AM tonight), I am extremely excited so I figured I'd just set up the topic now.  As in previous foodblogs, I may post a bit from time to time while we're there, depending on how good my internet connection is, and how much free time I have... but the bulk of posting will really get started around July 9th - the day after we get home (hopefully without too much jetlag!!!)
    • By KennethT
      Happy New Year!  I'm sitting at the gate waiting for my flight from Saigon to NYC connecting through Taipei so I figured this would be a good opportunity to get started... But this is just the intro- the rest will gave to wait until I land about 22 hours from now, sleep for about 12 hours, then get my photos in order! We had a great week enjoying beautiful weather, taking in the frenetic yet relaxed street life and eating some amazing local food...
      Our flight here was on EVA Airline and was very pleasant and uneventful. Our flight from Nyc to Taipei left around 12:20 AM on the 24th. I love those night flights since it makes it very easy to get a decent amount of sleep, even in coach. EVAs food is quite good eith both Chinese and western choices for dinner and breakfast, and they came through several times with snacks such as a fried chicken sandwich with some kind of mustard. I think I had 4 of them!
      Once I get home, I'll continue posting with pics from our feast in the Taipei airport.... Spoiler: those who have read my Singapore foodblog from July may see a slight trend...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...