• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kira had fun swimming with the dogs, then was treated to an "anemic chicken thigh" salad on white Texas toast.

When your thighs, or your breast for that matter, are anemic - make chicken salad!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

If you are in the least squeamish please skip this post concerning our dinner preparations this evening. But just remember they only one step removed from cockroaches on the evolutionary ladder .

If that's the kind of bugs we will have to eat in the future, well, it will be a sacrifice for sure.

Teo

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Teo

I made quite a mess of my two poached eggs this morning. However, on toasted Texas toast, they are quite good. I dusted them with a little of Trader Joe’s umami powder. 

3D1A759E-735A-4C71-8146-E8D2247C6C49.thumb.jpeg.8d8858f14ac999b2d8eb840048d417cb.jpeg

E85D38D4-4B09-4198-9FF9-B9CEC795D008.thumb.jpeg.c35194416b9ecf896719f3c6642947e7.jpeg

I am enjoying my breakfast while watching this poor chap and feeling quite sorry for him.  His boat seems to be aptly named. 

E7E92AE5-31CA-4955-A744-686E188A81D7.thumb.jpeg.25a944eb7a6ea5d6857f8080ae677c53.jpeg

He pulled out of the  Marina shortly before 8 AM and had no sooner got onto the road than his engine began to give him trouble and he had to stop.

It is now almost 10 o’clock and he is still only a few feet ahead of where he was when he started. By the sound made the last time he slammed down the hood, I’m suspecting his patience is wearing very thin.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

By the sound made the last time he slammed down the hood, I’m suspecting his patience is wearing very thin.

Maybe it was the sound of success. Moments after this happened he disappeared while my attention was elsewhere. Kerry spotted him just heading onto Highway 6. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, chromedome said:

We're a bilingual country, so one might encounter the Gendarmerie Royale du Canada (the Mounties in their francophone guise) anywhere at all. :)

Well, yes, but is ortolan hunting banned in Ontario?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6A09533C-680B-4D46-A669-EFBB72179684.thumb.jpeg.cb90308f9c28fe55407cb8080d3202dc.jpeg

E2F14A32-E205-48EC-AB8A-5325DB5A4010.thumb.jpeg.065cfa2fdcdc05df179bd009a923b76e.jpeg

Bacon butty the way it used to be before we started faffing around with our food for photographs and insisting on tableware. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, weinoo said:

I, too, recently tried the thighs at 300°F steam bake for an hour. While Significant Eater loved them, I, too, was disappointed.

Do they need to be brined in order to be wonderful - or do I need to try kosher ones?

Sorry I missed responding in a timely fashion.  Reminded, as tonight's Berkshire chop is calling out to me.   I try to salt poultry and most meat for at least an hour.  Brining I no longer do since the refrigerator incident.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's Haweater Weekend starting tomorrow - crapload of people on the island. Police are brought from away in the interest of ongoing community/police harmony. Our police go to other communities on their special long weekends to police there. There will be a huge PowWow in Wiki this weekend as well. I'm working ER most of the weekend. Might prove interesting!

Do they always bring you out especially for Haweater Weekend?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

33 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Do they always bring you out especially for Haweater Weekend?

I usually try to leave on Haweater weekend - this year we are staying a week longer than usual.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

How we get them back on the ground until Ornge comes and picks them up.

IMG_6727.thumb.jpg.523356e43fdbbf8324ce41edef0c7287.jpg

I'm almost afraid to ask but what are we looking at?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm almost afraid to ask but what are we looking at?

looks like someone who is being pulled by a boat like down the shore.  with any luck they will splash down gently and not faceplant.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 minute ago, suzilightning said:

looks like someone who is being pulled by a boat like down the shore.  with any luck they will splash down gently and not faceplant.

Since the rider is feet-first in a chair, and that chute won't come down until the boat slows, he or she should be pretty safe.

What's Ornge?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Since the rider is feet-first in a chair, and that chute won't come down until the boat slows, he or she should be pretty safe.

What's Ornge?

Ornge is the helicopter and advanced paramedics that comes and picks up our most urgent cases. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Ornge is the helicopter and advanced paramedics that comes and picks up our most emergent cases. 

Now I understand your comment....

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Parasailing I believe it's called. 

I feared it was a hot air balloon gone bad.  Think opening scene of Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev.

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ornge is the helicopter and advanced paramedics that comes and picks up our most urgent cases. 

I always hated the airlifts that in good weather was done from the field right next to the library where I worked.  Like Radar, for some reason, I heard the chopper longggg before it landed.  The worst for me was when the unit was on site and the chopper was waved off.   That usually meant a slow trip to whichever funeral home would be taking care of the deceased.  At least 3 times it turned out I knew the person …. and it hurt like hell.

• Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I usually try to leave on Haweater weekend - this year we are staying a week longer than usual.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Leave? You just arrived!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2