• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I need to incorporate this word into my vocabulary.

Think of it as the sanitized version of the other F word.

• Haha 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2875B205-29D0-453B-8643-734011A9ABD0.thumb.jpeg.eb1bad53a62b60356523555235f5dc7e.jpeg

Breakfast was a juicy, ashen, quail-sized chicken thigh on toasted rye. 

666E7B0F-DAF5-4B6A-BEF6-3DDBD24EA03B.thumb.jpeg.cff2224812518c682041b25a07f3c3a1.jpeg

D9FCF609-12E7-43AD-AD91-A85A44C29D03.thumb.jpeg.7207de8a6b73c091e7717a8597b9bb60.jpeg

The squeaky roomie gets white Texas toast (not quite in time for today’s breakfast).

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

F611BF3C-CE0D-441A-AD35-FE17D1159651.thumb.jpeg.98d4fc562b7f2bca3b36ade1e40de06c.jpeg

Sirloin steaks — 100% Canadian? 100% beef? Hmmmm. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

64A4A98A-8A20-450A-A71D-92E826FA6949.thumb.jpeg.58ec0ffc4ce69512952012e425f2b488.jpeg

Life is short: eat dessert for lunch.

Kerry made this poppyseed cake with blueberries and labneh from Zahav.

The rest is about to be devoured by staff.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Is a stir-fry in your future with those? Because there ain't a lot of fat going on.

No such difficult decisions have been made just yet. Whether they are 100% beef or merely 100% Canadian, for certain they are not AAA grade.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Following your directions of 300°F steam bake for an hour…… After 45 minutes my lovely chicken thighs had shrunk to the size of quail thighs, in another 15 minutes I estimated they would have reached the size of ortolan thighs.  And then, before we had a chance to begin dinner,  the  gendarmerie nationale would be at the door. 

They were juicy (the thighs, not the gendarmes) but ashen. 

Back to 425°F next time. 

My suspicion is that the Cdn version of the CSO  doesn’t like to faff about and prefers to get on with the job. 

I am truly sorry, Anna, for the poor results from following my advice.  Are you sure it was 300F Steam Bake?  I may need to do more research once I get chicken thighs again.

As for the gendarmes -- it's Manitoulin, not Miquelon.  For the moment I think you are fairly safe.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

36 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am truly sorry, Anna, for the poor results from following my advice.  Are you sure it was 300F Steam Bake?  I may need to do more research once I get chicken thighs again.

As for the gendarmes -- it's Manitoulin, not Miquelon.  For the moment I think you are fairly safe.

Really, truly I am not blaming you. I had to try it and I do not believe you were the only one to recommend that time and temperature. As for being safe from interaction with the police... you are so wrong...oh damn we’re supposed to stick to food...

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

We're a bilingual country, so one might encounter the Gendarmerie Royale du Canada (the Mounties in their francophone guise) anywhere at all. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's Haweater Weekend starting tomorrow - crapload of people on the island. Police are brought from away in the interest of ongoing community/police harmony. Our police go to other communities on their special long weekends to police there. There will be a huge PowWow in Wiki this weekend as well. I'm working ER most of the weekend. Might prove interesting!

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's Haweater Weekend starting tomorrow

Our annual Blueberry Festival starts tomorrow. There are too many events for one weekend and not enough for the 10 days it runs. So it drags along with event packed weekends and a little of this here and a little of that there through the week. I think they would be well served to figure out a way to distill it down to 4 days over the civic holiday weekend. The highlight that made the longer format work was the street dance that took place at the end that always featured a well known or formerly famous band that brought tons of people in but some bad decision making with insurance and a freak power outage meant they lost their arse having to pay Tom Cochrane for his visit and not recoup it via ticket and beer sales since he couldn't play with the power out. And now that I think about it, I think I may have actually said all this during a previous year's Manitoulin adventure but my memory isn't always reliable so, if I did, apologies for the encore. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you are in the least squeamish please skip this post concerning our dinner preparations this evening. But just remember they only one step removed from cockroaches on the evolutionary ladder .

AD57D721-A183-4403-A9F3-CA532D5CD015.thumb.jpeg.b457fc023cea3c4d60a7983ff0fdfe45.jpeg

From the box

F4D1CB24-76FA-499D-A5F5-E5164A8D7BFE.thumb.jpeg.7cf9eb09a3df46ebf4c5828cf2e8aea2.jpeg

And into the pot.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

64A4A98A-8A20-450A-A71D-92E826FA6949.thumb.jpeg.58ec0ffc4ce69512952012e425f2b488.jpeg

Life is short: eat dessert for lunch.

Kerry made this poppyseed cake with blueberries and labneh from Zahav.

The rest is about to be devoured by staff.

Would love a copy of the poppyseed cake formula, we make one at Christmas...it would be fun to compare (and you already helped tweak our formula)....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RobertM said:

No SV of that bug??  

Butter poaching with the Control Freak - it's what the cool kids are doing!

7 minutes ago, RobertM said:

Would love a copy of the poppyseed cake formula, we make one at Christmas...it would be fun to compare (and you already helped tweak our formula)....

Here you go. It's by no means a typical cake - more like a financier. So that's my next thing. Batter is in the fridge - will bake them off in the am before work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

All great sunset pics, but pic 6, very cool...

Indeed.  I was minded of the ending of Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou