• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

The evil whole wheat Texas toast made into a grilled cheese for the child.

IMG_6662.thumb.jpg.521bb61a46be3fe4c3b9156ab6ddfade.jpg

IMG_6664.thumb.jpg.00f8672bd06e55aecc0f742f563d14c8.jpg

Chicken thighs CSO for the adults.

I was going to report your post.  But I will give you another chance.  I will simply point out that feeding THAT Texas toast to a child is child abuse.  Please give her something delicious and unhealthy;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, RobertM said:

Soooo....what would be the “new” formulation??  It sounds delicious.....

1 1/2 ounces Canadian Whisky, 1 1/2 ounces amaretto, 1 ounce lemon juice, 1 tsp simple syrup 1/2 ounce egg white. Dry shake, then ice shake, then rocks glass, twist of lemon rind, cherries. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I would eat that grilled cheese in a heartbeat.   Actually might prefer WW to white bread.   Call me with leftovers.

Editied to ask, what is the catsup looking stuff?    Don't contaminate my grilled cheese with anything...well, maybe green chile salsa, but I never have.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Apparently when you ask how much booze goes in a cocktail it can sometimes be interpreted as the amaretto part rather than the booze part. Hence you end up with a cocktail with twice as much booze as called for.

A very intoxicating and very delicious amaretto sour

B546671A-6E38-4BEF-8FB9-19878526A700.thumb.jpeg.338d4dadd79807232a52aec9a6c325ec.jpeg

Going forward – I think all our amaretto sour’s will contain twice as much Canadian whisky as the bourbon called for

Uggh. Canadian whiskey reminds me of frat parties and being grossly over served.  An emetic. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Uggh. Canadian whiskey reminds me of frat parties and being grossly over served.  An emetic. 

It’s come a long way!   You might not recognize it unless you graduated just last week!😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking outside to see how the evening was coming along - I noticed on of the local docs and one of the other locums who is up (there are a crap load of us here right now) out for a walk. So I tagged along with them down to Low Island for a couple of pictures 

58631394297__21E6FD05-A7E8-471C-8FF7-7D3CEFD7A7C7.thumb.jpg.7547aca624f9eacd366bccecaf1ab2b8.jpg

IMG_6667.thumb.jpg.2abed61e873273e51b794d1a0fa8d6ce.jpg

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Uggh. Canadian whiskey reminds me of frat parties and being grossly over served.  

That would be lemon gin and Ruby Rouge wine for me!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

It’s come a long way!   You might not recognize it unless you graduated just last week!😂

A flight attendant gave me Canadian club by mistake a year ago. I almost hurled. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

A flight attendant gave me Canadian club by mistake a year ago. I almost hurled. 

This Copper Pot stuff wouldn't remind you of Canadian Club in any way! I'm not a Canadian Rye fan at all. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Do you see any Canadian Club in our photo?   That’s Forty Creek Copper Pot and it is darn good. Unfortunately their website seems to be down.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Do you see any Canadian Club in our photo?   That’s Forty Creek Copper Pot and it is darn good. Unfortunately their website seems to be down.  

Send me a couple bottles for verification purposes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So I tagged along with them down to Low Island for a couple of pictures 

Frame-worthy photos! I go to bed too early to see the sunset so I have to count on you.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Going forward – I think all our amaretto sour’s will contain twice as much Canadian whisky as the bourbon called for

I'm a fan of the Copper Pot and I'm a fan of bourbon but I don't have the drinking constitution I once had and will probably continue to use the called for 3/4 oz in my amaretto sours no matter which I decide to use. Well, maybe just one with the Manitoulin Variable. Strictly in the interest of playing along, of course. :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Frame-worthy photos! I go to bed too early to see the sunset so I have to count on you.

I'm more likely to go to bed in time to see the sunrise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_6664.thumb.jpg.00f8672bd06e55aecc0f742f563d14c8.jpg

Chicken thighs CSO for the adults.

@chefmd beat me to it.  I was going to ask if there were no child protection services in Ontario.  And those thighs?  Is the CSO still under warrantee?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

IMG_E0990.thumb.JPG.5060d55cb33268115fc93ffe0028e128.JPG

Almost exactly the same sunrise as I'm sure you get up on the island!

BTW, forgot to mention that the building on the right would be right up @Kerry Beal's alley, as it's a hospital facility with a long history beginning in 1885...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouverneur_Health

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

IMG_E0990.thumb.JPG.5060d55cb33268115fc93ffe0028e128.JPG

Almost exactly the same sunrise as I'm sure you get up on the island!

Of course I'd have to get up a little earlier! Looks like you are going to have a windy day.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And those thighs?  Is the CSO still under warrantee?

Following your directions of 300°F steam bake for an hour…… After 45 minutes my lovely chicken thighs had shrunk to the size of quail thighs, in another 15 minutes I estimated they would have reached the size of ortolan thighs.  And then, before we had a chance to begin dinner,  the  gendarmerie nationale would be at the door. 

They were juicy (the thighs, not the gendarmes) but ashen. 

Back to 425°F next time. 

My suspicion is that the Cdn version of the CSO  doesn’t like to faff about and prefers to get on with the job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Following your directions of 300°F steam bake for an hour…… After 45 minutes my lovely chicken thighs had shrunk to the size of quail thighs, in another 15 minutes I estimated they would have reached the size of ortolan thighs.  And then, before we had a chance to begin dinner,  the  gendarmerie nationale would be at the door. 

Back to 425°F next time. 

My suspicion is that the Cdn version of the CSO  doesn’t like to faff about and prefers to get on with the job. 

I, too, recently tried the thighs at 300°F steam bake for an hour. While Significant Eater loved them, I, too, was disappointed.

Do they need to be brined in order to be wonderful - or do I need to try kosher ones?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Back to 425°F next time. 

I like chicken thighs in the CSO on steam-bake at 425°F for 20 - 30 min, depending on size.  I am not inspired to try the hour long 300°F treatment.

• Like 1