• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

5699ECE1-1A0F-43B6-A9B2-0CF692B19363.thumb.jpeg.ea2a241abd75ab09fb373506b4f11653.jpeg

The devil made me do it!   Instant noodles with spam and sugar snap peas. Do I at least get the points for the peas?

You get all the points Anna! It looks really good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

if you de-salted the SPAM,

Ill give you a Pass +

All things in moderation even moderation per Saint Julia. No moderation here.  If I am going for spam then it’s spam all the way!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DE0E9F18-79A3-47F0-9AA9-4CF4BF13688E.thumb.jpeg.74350008f2b93225fdd154ecf7a8b708.jpeg

Kerry made me post my dinner too!

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh dear!  An empty bag of something for Kerry and what appears to be ketchup on toast for Anna!!!!

You would win the prize if only there was one!

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

All things in moderation even moderation per Saint Julia. No moderation here.  If I am going for spam then it’s spam all the way!  

Turtles all the way down.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh dear!  An empty bag of something for Kerry and what appears to be ketchup on toast for Anna!!!!

Looks like Kerry had all the chips/crisps.  Bonus points for Anna's fine china😋

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

11 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

There must be a pretty good back story to these unusual  plates?

Well it’s really quite boring. Kerry worked emerg yesterday until 6 PM.  We had visitors who made a flying trip up from Toronto and returned within a couple of hours. Since Kira would not be coming home until after 6 PM we were a little unsure as to whether she would need to be fed or whether that had been taken care of (we should have known better! of course she had been fed).  We asked Kira‘s caregiver if she would care to join us for a cocktail once we knew she was bringing Kira back. By the time that was all done and we had a wonderful visit, it was a bit late to think seriously about anything that needed to be cooked.

I noticed that Kerry had bought a loaf of Texas toast. I decided I would love a sandwich made on Texas toast. But when I got to the counter to pull the slices from the package I was horrified. Can you believe she bought whole-grain Texas toast? Whoever heard of healthy Texas toast?   What is this world coming to? 

Defeated and downtrodden by my discovery, I decided to fall back on emergency R.C.A.F. rations.  This is what we girls made in barracks when we got up too late for breakfast in the mess hall.  A forbidden toaster,  somebody who had at least got their clothes on dispatched to the mess hall to swipe some bread and some ketchup packages and we all had something to eat before hitting the parade ground.  I have told the story many times so I know most of you are bored with it. Although I barely eat ketchup on anything else, I still eat it on toast with lots of pepper.

Kerry finished off the last of the (sour cream and onion) potato chips. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Well, this morning I see the empty bag. Don’t know what I saw last night. 😕

Don’t beat yourself up. I knew exactly what she had to eat and what she had taken a photograph of and I still couldn’t recognize it. And that was after only one cocktail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I noticed that Kerry had bought a loaf of Texas toast. I decided I would love a sandwich made on Texas toast. But when I got to the counter to pull the slices from the package I was horrified. Can you believe she bought whole-grain Texas toast? Whoever heard of healthy Texas toast?   What is this world coming to? 

This is horrifying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This is horrifying. 

I feel so much better knowing that someone understands.

3F10C007-8B48-4C34-84A0-DF9619049105.thumb.jpeg.bba339cd59dd90bc61de5e6e6e8f2162.jpeg

Meals so far are not exciting to look at but plenty tasty to eat. Above is the last of the smoky blue cheese just melting on some rye toast.

5F1D3190-432B-4C3E-A2D6-CD47600BD9F3.thumb.jpeg.563bda27b66347d37676ae3ae565d847.jpeg

Lunch looks equally beige. This is canned salmon mixed with a little mayonnaise and then dusted with some vadouvan seasoning. Also on rye toast.  But it would’ve made such a good sandwich on Texas toast – – I mean the proper kind – – the white kind.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Today I learned that Texas Toast is a kind of bread one can purchase at a store and that it comes in varieties such as whole wheat and heaven knows what else. 

I thought it was buttery, toasty stuff that you got in a restaurant or made yourself. 

Clearly, I live a sheltered life but eG helps educate me!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

comes in varieties such as whole wheat

I've honestly never seen any other kind except for white around here.  Thick cut, squishy, white in a plastic bag with a plastic thingy to keep it twisted shut.

I'm not sure that whole wheat is allowed to be called Texas Toast......

• Haha 7

Apparently when you ask how much booze goes in a cocktail it can sometimes be interpreted as the amaretto part rather than the booze part. Hence you end up with a cocktail with twice as much booze as called for.

A very intoxicating and very delicious amaretto sour

B546671A-6E38-4BEF-8FB9-19878526A700.thumb.jpeg.338d4dadd79807232a52aec9a6c325ec.jpeg

Going forward – I think all our amaretto sour’s will contain twice as much Canadian whisky as the bourbon called for

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Apparently when you ask how much booze goes in a cocktail it can sometimes be interpreted as the amaretto part rather than the booze part. Hence you end up with a cocktail with twice as much booze as called for.

A very intoxicating and very delicious amaretto sour

B546671A-6E38-4BEF-8FB9-19878526A700.thumb.jpeg.338d4dadd79807232a52aec9a6c325ec.jpeg

Going forward – I think all our amaretto sour’s will contain twice as much Canadian whisky as the bourbon called for

Soooo....what would be the “new” formulation??  It sounds delicious.....

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Today I learned that Texas Toast is a kind of bread one can purchase at a store and that it comes in varieties such as whole wheat and heaven knows what else. 

I thought it was buttery, toasty stuff that you got in a restaurant or made yourself. 

Clearly, I live a sheltered life but eG helps educate me!

I buy Pepperidge Farm Texas Toast. Use it every 2 or 3 months for something different. 

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;