• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_6459.thumb.jpg.c68bd0e5592b52b5b9a5c58053ff3d0a.jpgIMG_6458.thumb.jpg.85ed0e9d23cb9bfdf2f113f6e7cdf5a8.jpg

Needed to deal with the remaining red currants before the black ones ripen.

So made some jelly. 

IMG_6470.thumb.jpg.f05912cdb6d04ff6a3c72757fbc8b90b.jpg

Had great difficulty getting a picture.

Kerry, you always make everything look so easy.  Jelly, for me, is a monumental task.

• Like 3

4CEE595A-E9B2-4E5A-9DB6-920FE85858FE.thumb.jpeg.c863c1384cbf036806eb2cfcb6d82929.jpeg

On the way to butter poached shrimp and scallops. Kerry is creating a beurre monté. 

1827A7CE-6EF1-4427-9FCE-72C4AE471C47.thumb.jpeg.af657d285b0691eaa5de9d6236578b6b.jpeg

Shrimp and scallop swimming in the above butter. 

B780519E-5266-4307-AD38-2AC34583BAF8.thumb.jpeg.fa8a8bc6e111a2b92930270ac364bd9a.jpeg

Dinner is served. Broccoli cooked forever, reheated baguette, butter poached scallops and shrimp.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Kerry, you always make everything look so easy.  Jelly, for me, is a monumental task.

I had Anna reading out directions from online. Weighed the berries, added some water, simmered and squished a bit until they all popped. Hardest thing was rigging up a jelly bag out of a piece of a muslin swaddle cloth and then hanging it over the pot. Many rubber bands were harmed in the hanging of the jelly bag.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

6512FA8D-7270-4735-BBCA-C02128C83DC5.thumb.jpeg.47da9e9c57d4980be5177a097d7f5662.jpeg

Dessert was roasted buckwheat custard. You know how I get to drink Kerry’s  cocktail rejects? Well she got to eat my dessert reject. I get drunk she gets fat.  

(Dessert should not taste like cereal milk — Christina Tosi be damned.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby

I am surprised you did not notice the watermelon right next to the pork steaks. What do you think this might portend in our future?

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_6461.thumb.jpg.c934afc5d62c377ca3f16d499a6d6597.jpg

Paul Young brownies with the addition of gianduja bits.

Wow! Those are going to be some very rich and delicious  brownies.  🙂  Perhaps a swirl of currant jelly in the next batch!

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I had Anna reading out directions from online. Weighed the berries, added some water, simmered and squished a bit until they all popped. Hardest thing was rigging up a jelly bag out of a piece of a muslin swaddle cloth and then hanging it over the pot. Many rubber bands were harmed in the hanging of the jelly bag.

I do believe there is a law against Rubber Band abuse.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

On the way to butter poached shrimp and scallops. Kerry is creating a beurre monté. 

1827A7CE-6EF1-4427-9FCE-72C4AE471C47.thumb.jpeg.af657d285b0691eaa5de9d6236578b6b.jpeg

I am interested in the black fixture that is holding the probe on the pan rim.  Is that part of the Control Freak, or something a mortal could attain?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

33 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am interested in the black fixture that is holding the probe on the pan rim.  Is that part of the Control Freak, or something a mortal could attain?

It is indeed part of the Control Freak. Wonder if you could buy it as an independent part?

Here you go!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am surprised you did not notice the watermelon right next to the pork steaks. What do you think this might portend in our future?

While I've learned better than to think I know what you two may or may not get up to, I feel safe saying it won't involve having a hole cut and an upturned bottle of booze plugged in. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

While I've learned better than to think I know what you two may or may not get up to, I feel safe saying it won't involve having a hole cut and an upturned bottle of booze plugged in. :D

Aw, shucks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

22 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Too low tech.  Amazing what one can achieve with a chamber vacuum sealer and an iSi.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

My money is on @rotuts' guess.

Meanwhile, I want that sunset and water, and I want that jelly!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

You are so right!

• Haha 3

Anna forwarded me a recipe overnight in aid of using almond flour. It is Chocolate-Almond Situation 

IMG_6474.thumb.jpg.e740f4aa778d39b95ac13305141cea85.jpg

This is it so far - now the recipe calls for a 9 inch round or square pan - however since the volume of a 9 inch square pan is bigger than that of a round - I swapped to an 8 inch square to get the same height.

It's in the CSO right now. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anna forwarded me a recipe overnight in aid of using almond flour. It is Chocolate-Almond Situation 

IMG_6474.thumb.jpg.e740f4aa778d39b95ac13305141cea85.jpg

This is it so far - now the recipe calls for a 9 inch round or square pan - however since the volume of a 9 inch square pan is bigger than that of a round - I swapped to an 8 inch square to get the same height.

It's in the CSO right now. 

Recipe looks good. How do they taste? Worth making again?