• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

8 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Uh, maybe because Edmund Francis Fitzgerald, RN fought U-boats during WWI?

Don’t think so. The ship was apparently named after Edmund Fitzgerald (1895-1986) chairman of Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company (owner of the ship). 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Back to food ....

26D921CE-03CF-41B6-9CC4-840AD4D1021C.thumb.jpeg.c1148020ae17851b4f125baee183695d.jpeg

This is the first thing that Kerry made with the red currants. I had hoped she had posted the finished product before I started snacking on it. Maybe later she will do so and tell you the name of it. It’s very good. I know it has a short-bread-type base and a meringue-type topping but that’s as far as my knowledge goes.  I have been snacking on it while making dinner preparations. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo. (log)
  • Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

E3A70612-08B4-4F11-9940-27923D991B8D.thumb.jpeg.15fb8d3047a551260d79a53b82c45494.jpeg

I mentioned before that I picked up two apples that I had never tried previously. One was an Envy and the other was a Jazz. But the labels have fallen off so now I no longer know which one I’m trying!   Images on Google didn’t help.  Oh well at least I know the cheddar is from Trader Joe’s and it’s called the Unexpected Cheddar. And it’s good! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

E3A70612-08B4-4F11-9940-27923D991B8D.thumb.jpeg.15fb8d3047a551260d79a53b82c45494.jpeg

I mentioned before that I picked up two apples that I had never tried previously. One was an Envy and the other was a Jazz. But the labels have fallen off so now I no longer know which one I’m trying!   Images on Google didn’t help.  Oh well at least I know the cheddar is from Trader Joe’s and it’s called the Unexpected Cheddar. And it’s good! 

Yes, Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar is very good. One of my favorites when I shop at the store.

That might be the Envy apple...the tiny white dots look familiar. But wouldn't put good money on it...:wacko:

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Red Current Meringue Cake -  recipe from a friend of Myra‘s who provided us with the red currants

B09E0D05-44B7-4782-94FD-B1837557C49C.thumb.jpeg.e60f27906cff0255a09091a138758909.jpeg

It uses 180 g of nut flour. How convenient I just happen to have quite a few kilos of nut flour.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Red Current Meringue Cake -  recipe from a friend of Myra‘s who provided us with the red currants

Thought I might have tracked something at least in the ballpark down on google but it contains no nut flour so... fail. Oh well, no fresh currants around here anyway. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Thought I might have tracked something at least in the ballpark down on google but it contains no nut flour so... fail. Oh well, no fresh currants around here anyway. :D

Red Currant Meringue Cake

Ingredients

• 250 grams flour
  • 80 grams sugar
  • 1-2 eggs, or two yolks (used 3 yolks cause I had them)
  • 1-2 tbsp milk
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 80 grams butter
  • qs salt
  • qs vanilla
  • Topping
  • 4-6 egg white, 100 gram (only took 3 whites from the eggs I had)
  • 180 grams ground nuts
  • 150 grams sugar
  • small basket red currants , 500 grams

Method

1.Make shortbread with first ingredients - press in and up the sides of a 9 by 13 pan.

2.Beat whites until stiff, add sugar, fold in nuts and currants, pour over the crust and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looks good. I'll have to see if I still have some in the freezer.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Red Current Meringue Cake

Thanks! I've never seen fresh currants here but I may give it a shot with some of the local blueberries. Won't be the same but maybe it will be tasty anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Took a walk around Low Island Park this evening - 

started at my usual spot, sat and watched the kids swim for a while - then headed around the point. Just me and a few million skitters. 

IMG_6340.thumb.jpg.5f712c532aa34a7c107c2b4850cca59c.jpg

IMG_6341.thumb.jpg.7c9844d8bcdcdb7032117e8b4b4b4de0.jpg

IMG_6347.thumb.jpg.e60d2eeb8e40346bfcb7e4c02bd5b786.jpg

In spite of the low light - my camera took some fairly good flower pictures. 

IMG_6353.thumb.jpg.f434cef34bd48c705b30f0e68e8ee4ac.jpg

IMG_6368.thumb.jpg.4e94fc5606f4eaaa033c1575fc50460a.jpg'

As I got further around the point - I could see up the North Channel 

IMG_6381.thumb.jpg.a76ca18d62518649d8d7c1657164689f.jpg

IMG_6384.thumb.jpg.52371a11caf0bc49865bd489d243a4db.jpg

IMG_6408.thumb.jpg.6b64085c2fbe39b4c5aaef56ab4129f4.jpg

A little further around I was at the entrance to Spider Bay 

IMG_6404.thumb.jpg.b050bd15f2ac6804eef989376c6bf983.jpg

I have a bit of a thing for driftwood - not as bad as my mother did however. I don't feel the need to bring it home!

IMG_6423.thumb.jpg.90447b57e525ec17d593bf988ae14739.jpg

Spider Bay from the other side. 

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Took a walk around Low Island Park this evening - 

started at my usual spot, sat and watched the kids swim for a while - then headed around the point. Just me and a few million skitters. 

I'd really been enjoying the photos of your evening strolls and thinking how much I'd enjoy a bit of cool breeze coming off the water.....until you mentioned those dreaded bugs - then I just want to flap my hands around my head and keep moving 🙃.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I'd really been enjoying the photos of your evening strolls and thinking how much I'd enjoy a bit of cool breeze coming off the water.....until you mentioned those dreaded bugs - then I just want to flap my hands around my head and keep moving 🙃.

Still scratching now that I'm back home! It was the stroll through the grassy parts that was the problem. Had I followed my usual path the breeze would have been enough to keep them down. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Still scratching now that I'm back home! It was the stroll through the grassy parts that was the problem. Had I followed my usual path the breeze would have been enough to keep them down. 

You need to include me in your travels.    Every kind of biting and stinging bug takes one look at me and yells out "LUNCH!"    Everyone in a hundred yard radius is perfectly safe.    And I look like the loser of a boxing match.    Once in France, I was so badly bitten after a dinner under the wisteria vines that my face was a mass of purple pustules.    When we arrived at our next lodging, the host opened the door and exclaimed, "Oh my God, woman, did you fall into a wasp next?"  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You need to include me in your travels.    Every kind of biting and stinging bug takes one look at me and yells out "LUNCH!"    Everyone in a hundred yard radius is perfectly safe.   

My sister and my late wife were cut from the same cloth.

We were all together in the same place on the occasion of my parents' 50th anniversary, and in a spirit of pure scientific curiosity I was keen to see who the bloodsuckers would favor when they were in close proximity. My wife "won" that particular popularity contest, if "won" is the correct word.

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Glad to hear that I may not be the most enticebuggenic person on the planet. We'll have to get together and test, though I warn you I shall be stiff competition. Chromedome, your wife's spirit is probably grateful she doesn't have to try to win that match!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have a bit of a thing for driftwood - not as bad as my mother did however. I don't feel the need to bring it home!

Too funny.  We must be related (least surely your mother and I!)  - I have a love of unique driftwood as well.  I have a few pieces adorning our deck and have a bit of a collection for future projects/use.

Either gorgeous rocks or unique wood - Mother Nature is the greatest artist!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Details about dinner? Is the corn decent now? 

It is still not local corn if that is what you are asking. But it was quite decent. Also on the plate was a strip loin steak and a bowl of Israeli salad.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Too funny.  We must be related (least surely your mother and I!)  - I have a love of unique driftwood as well.  I have a few pieces adorning our deck and have a bit of a collection for future projects/use.

Either gorgeous rocks or unique wood - Mother Nature is the greatest artist!

We drove back from the east coast one summer when we were between boats - we were hauling a Hi-Lo trailer.. Everyone waited to see the midgets/dwarfs (what's the politically correct term these days) get out of the car and were surprised to see a family of normal (what's the politically correct term for that these days) height individuals exit the vehicle. But then they were treated to the picture of my father removing several extremely large boulders from the trailer before we could roll it up. They were beautiful boulders I grant you - that's why they had to come home.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

86E198B4-3FE2-40E6-9440-E458F5562D6C.thumb.jpeg.7b572ae4f9ba531075da2a51ab11cf92.jpeg

Point Reyes blue melted on toasted ciabatta and topped with some Campari tomatoes. Leftover Israeli salad on the side.  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog