• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

Kira and I went out for a little stroll after dinner along the shore from the condo then along the dock. 

IMG_6286.thumb.jpg.c54de604b244f122fcb3b7a4ee546e40.jpg

We stopped to admire this sumac that is just starting to turn color.

IMG_6288.thumb.jpg.7745b1bba5aa44e9181ea66ce8deb62a.jpg

Don't know if you can get a sense of the strength of the current in this picture - the north channel has a pretty significant flow which makes docking a boat quite a challenge.

IMG_6292.thumb.jpg.2eff2304ec669132c2b4b03a2ba6c02e.jpg

IMG_6293.thumb.jpg.34f61cc385e275a8201078c4c36f1069.jpg

Certainly not the usual number of boats here this year with the summer being so late to arrive. 

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@andiesenji is the one who turned me onto Envy apples. Superb crispness and sweetness. Let us know what you think.

And how was the Naan?

I recently tried an envy apple and I was not impressed.  Perfectly OK mind you, but nothing to write home about.  My apple discovery this year was Lady Alice, but they are not in season.

Which reminds me dinner tonight is an apple, though it is so old I'm not sure what variety it used to be.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

We stopped to admire this sumac that is just starting to turn color.

I used to make sumac "lemonade" as a kid.  I was a pretty forage-y kid.  Found old copies of My Side of the Mountain and Euell Gibbons books being tossed out by a relative.  They were fun to read and then find the stuff to try.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I went out at dusk for a bit longer than usual - got so many photos that I had trouble paring it down to a few to show you. 

IMG_6246.thumb.jpg.f0cb1144bd7a5b44be50bfc5eb2af851.jpg

My personal favorite.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There is something really special about northern sunsets, especially over the northern lakes. They quality of light is different, somehow...clear, like the water, maybe. 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

IMG_6298.thumb.jpg.b3a47b192230304d3ff9aeed0cbb8076.jpg

IMG_6304.thumb.jpg.2195042b66a349056d399f5245ee7137.jpg

A little chilly out there tonight. 

IMG_6305.thumb.jpg.b81e72bb4f9df78439366ebda6cb2331.jpg

Watched this fellow strip down and go for a swim - says he does it every day April til November when he's on the island. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, kayb said:

My personal favorite.

Thank you for sharing these sunsets and your adventures.  How I miss seeing that island sky and dropping in to see what you have made today.  Oh well, I will just have to be satisfied with your postings 😊

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

In Lake Huron? 🤣 

But, given the current world situation, I guess anything’s possible! 😝

As I recall when the Edmund Fitzgerald went down one of the first responders was a German U-boat captain.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

In my neck of the woods, alas, Chapman's is the better option. A lot of local venues have switched to Nestle, which is just awful.

Good lord...

Has Kawartha Dairy not made it's way out East yet!?

Our Ontario neighbours surely have no excuses!

Chapman's....oy!

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

There is something really special about northern sunsets, especially over the northern lakes. They quality of light is different, somehow...clear, like the water, maybe. 

LOL...yes, its called - No Pollution/Smog!!!

God's Country!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Good lord...

Has Kawartha Dairy not made it's way out East yet!?

Our Ontario neighbours surely have no excuses!

Chapman's....oy!

Nope, just the local dairies. In some places you'll see Baxter's or Farmer's or Scotsburn, with Scotsburn being the most common alternative to Chapman's in my part of the province.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As I recall when the Edmund Fitzgerald went down one of the first responders was a German U-boat captain.

Uh? I’m confused but willing to be put straight. The Edmund Fitzgerald went down in Lake Superior in 1958. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

B1455616-30B4-4741-B08E-4002B18726E4.thumb.jpeg.d9f119dc848fdd50ab52bf989ae2d2d6.jpeg

I liked scrambled eggs simmered in salsa so much that I did it again. This time I added a smidge of sour cream and corn tortillas replaced the toasted rye bread of my first iteration of this dish.  Sort of like breakfast crashed into snack food.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

B1455616-30B4-4741-B08E-4002B18726E4.thumb.jpeg.d9f119dc848fdd50ab52bf989ae2d2d6.jpeg

I liked scrambled eggs simmered in salsa so much that I did it again. This time I added a smidge of sour cream and corn tortillas replaced the toasted rye bread of my first iteration of this dish.  Sort of like breakfast crashed into snack food.

You are fast approaching a traditional New Mexico breakfast of Red Chile Huevos Rancheros. We had our favorite circuit of counter top and diner style roadhouses just for breakfasts. So good.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Uh? I’m confused but willing to be put straight. The Edmund Fitzgerald went down in Lake Superior in 1958. 

Kerry's photograph looked like a submarine was surfacing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

Nov 10th 1975

You are right and I am wrong. Thank you.  

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the only WWII U-boat in the great lakes was in lake Michigan

Well, @JoNorvelleWalker only said a first responder was a German U-boat captain.  She didn't say whether or not said captain was on board an actual U-boat at the time of the response.  I suppose it could have been a long-retired U-boat captain aboard one of the vessels involved in the  response but I'd be interested in hearing more. 

31 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, @JoNorvelleWalker only said a first responder was a German U-boat captain.  She didn't say whether or not said captain was on board an actual U-boat at the time of the response.  I suppose it could have been a long-retired U-boat captain aboard one of the vessels involved in the  response but I'd be interested in hearing more. 

I think Jo is having us on a bit. But I could be wrong and your theory was my theory if the story had some credibility. Jo always comes through so I’ll just stay patiently by my iPad, iPhone, and iWatch, watching. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog