• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Those look perfect.  

Mine have gone down hill in looks, but they still taste good.  I think I do worse with the mold I bought. 

Imperfections were artfully hidden.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, demiglace said:

Pistachio and almond are two of my favourite things. Is there a recipe around somewhere? 

Here you go - slightly adapted for what I had available. No chopped nuts on top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I will admit to being a food snob at one time but  maturity mellows one and frailty seasons one and old age allows one to do whatever the hell one pleases within one’s physical limitations.  And hunger tames snobbery any day of the week.

I didn't like Spam before it was cool to not like it. Even as a kid, I had to fry it until nobody else considered it edible and then drown it in mustard. Hunger definitely tames snobbery when there are 5 kids and not a huge food budget and the rule is eat what's served or don't eat but I've never looked down my nose at Spam, I just don't like it. And as the years pile on more quickly than it seems like they should, I'm beginning to see the truth of your above words. I've definitely reached a point where I really don't care what anybody else thinks about what I eat as long as I enjoy it. 10 years ago, I would still have enjoyed those things... but I wouldn't have told anybody. :D

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This is on the menu at a fun Hawaiian restaurant, which happens to have an incredible wine list, here in Manhattan's east village:

kimchi fried rice...spam, fried egg

I think they used to do a spam tortelloni.
Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

52 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I didn't like Spam before it was cool to not like it. Even as a kid, I had to fry it until nobody else considered it edible and then drown it in mustard. Hunger definitely tames snobbery when there are 5 kids and not a huge food budget and the rule is eat what's served or don't eat but I've never looked down my nose at Spam, I just don't like it. And as the years pile on more quickly than it seems like they should, I'm beginning to see the truth of your above words. I've definitely reached a point where I really don't care what anybody else thinks about what I eat as long as I enjoy it. 10 years ago, I would still have enjoyed those things... but I wouldn't have told anybody. :D

On other forums I have shared as a kidlet we didn't have a lot of money.  We fished, hunted, crabbed, etc.  Once a week we had hamburger in some way -smooch, meat sauce or meatloaf; killed a chicken every other week; Pop{the guy who basically raised me - my grandfather}  used to take SPAM out of the can, stud it with cloves and bake it.  It was our ham.  I miss him terribly and although I used to make him liver and onions several times a year as a good grand daughter...I never got it.  He enjoyed it and that was all that mattered to me

• Like 10

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

so what exactly is SPAM?  I've never had it and I'm not going to the grocery store in the next few days.

Where do you find it in the grocery store?  (I once searched for a solid 10 minutes in the *refrigerated* dairy for Velveeta for that Rotel dip for a Superbowl party before admitting defeat and asking a clerk and feeling chagrined when he pointed to the endcap where it was stacked.  At room temp! 😲)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

so what exactly is SPAM?  I've never had it and I'm not going to the grocery store in the next few days.

Where do you find it in the grocery store?  (I once searched for a solid 10 minutes in the *refrigerated* dairy for Velveeta for that Rotel dip for a Superbowl party before admitting defeat and asking a clerk and feeling chagrined when he pointed to the endcap where it was stacked.  At room temp! 😲)

In my stores Spam is with the canned meat - including tuna, chili, hash, etc.  

I lost track of my mystery Spam (is that redundant?) that someone mailed to me.  I unearthed it yesterday and it will be featured in a breakfast next week (when Mr. Kim goes back to work).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Spam.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't mind SPAM.

I first cut it about 1/4 ".  soak the slices in ice water for a while  ( ice = keeps the fat firm )

pat dry and fry slowly until crisp

w less salt you do notice that there are " Ham Flavor Notes "

otherwise , " Salty Notes ' predominate.

Ive put crispy small bits { de-salted , always ) in a spinach salad a few times , w toasted ( Fresh crop ) pecans

it was tasty.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

ABBB0DE8-BB78-4275-9825-F65ECBD0AA78.thumb.jpeg.c4dda85356c0b8811f1f6682b2f57098.jpeg

This will be the last appearance of spam for a while but there was leftover spam hash and I couldn’t let it go to waste. My first attempt at the fried egg ended in disaster as I broke the yolk. Kerry to the rescue. She flipped it over and enjoyed it with some of the hash. So I have her to thank for this gorgeous looking egg. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

never thought of SPAM hash

thank you @Anna N

Spam hash was a camping staple, good breakfast or dinner.     Especially if you buy the less salt style, which actually has very little less salt!, Spam is a great pantry friend.   It works in many faux-Asian dishes, pastas (spam/peas/cream), and in a pinch, spam fingers sub for hotdogs.       

eta, frozen in small portions, like 1/5 of a can each, it is an easy meal addition in lieu of ham or bacon.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

My Chinese/Hawaiian roommate in school taught me that cheap packaged ramen is improved with a slice of Spam, a couple of leaves of iceburg lettuce and an egg.   Ahhhhh.   That was gourmet college food back in the day.

Edited by lemniscate
capitalize Spam out of respect. (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I confess to never having had Spam.  Although I used to marvel at the vast stacks of the stuff in the drugstores during our trips to Hawaii.  

Growing up, my Mom, who was from Pennsylvania Dutch country loved scrapple; my Dad, however, would have nothing to do with it.  I've never eaten that either.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

Dave Arnold - Quest 1

IMG_6177.thumb.jpg.5c441a546d189957b4738af8b02d55f2.jpg

55 C for 40 min to retrograde the starch.

Then salt water boiled until done. 

IMG_6180.thumb.jpg.17711feb146e271566afebf66a678ed1.jpg

Dried with hair dryer.

58533485358__B1A3F581-DC15-4E25-879C-82F7E0C6CE22.thumb.jpg.5170d9485a763522ee5ccfc4ec25d14c.jpg

First blanche in 170º C oil until crusty but still blonde. 

IMG_6192.thumb.jpg.2f95be63fb7658ecc527cca2bd2b3dc2.jpg

Then second cook at 195º C until brown.

IMG_6191.thumb.jpg.badb7d4216de753dcc656a8310492732.jpg

IMG_6194.thumb.jpg.fe72e50b6d8ed460797590a9e5605f40.jpg

So far the best.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

923256B1-5A59-4316-A19F-C086317614E2.thumb.jpeg.a6dfd2b2cda896700d6cd9906daa4ccf.jpeg

All that so we could have poutine, again. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

what sort of gravy do you use , or what kind is usually served with the P.

how do you make the ' squeaky ' cheese ?

Id enjoy a bowl of that right now.

its too hot to think here.

I am She Who Eats (SWE). Kerry is She Who Makes Poutine (SWMP).  I am sure she will answer you when she gets back from her expedition to various retail places.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

what sort of gravy do you use , or what kind is usually served with the P.

how do you make the ' squeaky ' cheese ?

Id enjoy a bowl of that right now.

its too hot to think here.

Gravy made according to slight variations on this recipe. Forgot the garlic and don't recall adding the pepper.

Squeaky cheese curds purchased at Giant Tiger in Espanola.

• Like 4

IMG_6196.thumb.jpg.2423c41635727a46b0630c11cb84de59.jpg

Saw this at Barney's - still a deal - just not the kind of deal we got before.

IMG_6204.thumb.jpg.80413f8196bc783011469738e820f05a.jpg

All this was free. Had to dig through a bunch of peppers that weren't alright and a bunch of cucs - but happy with what I picked. Think I might make lebneh from the yogurt if I don't find a recipe to cook with it.

IMG_6205.thumb.jpg.d08b5cda632d7458590779aa8ea73c6a.jpg

Couple of other things from the regular store.

• Like 10