• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I did appreciate the parsley.        Hope someone munched on it.

Some decades ago I was dining with my elder son.  He refused to eat the lovely flat leaved parsley I provided.  He said no one he knew ever had been served parsley as a vegetable.  Things were getting tense.  Finally he acquiesced he would eat the parsley if I could document some nutritionally valid reason.

This was before the internet.

OK.  About half an hour later from Laurel's Kitchen I demonstrated parsley was an outstanding source of vitamin C.  He was not impressed and refused to eat his parsley.  He admitted he was only buying time so he could enjoy his dinner in peace.  I have not forgiven him.

• Haha 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

2960E173-2B29-4854-8BC3-9E6971395CA7.thumb.jpeg.4e3f88df307473c0534da3778128f898.jpeg

Potatoes served up with a side of chicken thighs.   The green is there for your enjoyment. It was quickly disposed of before the meal was consumed.  The chicken thighs were seasoned with Trader Joe’s umami powder.  This time I went too light on the sprinkling and the flavour did not come through.

Out of interest, what's in Trader Joe’s umami powder?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I did appreciate the parsley.        Hope someone munched on it.

I nibbled a few leaves.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

😂😂 Good catch. I never noticed it but it is rather blatant.

Kimball has no trouble reaching around to pat himself on the back.

I've been using a lot of parsley lately; nothing wrong with a parsley heavy salad, and I go through it and mint when making tabbouleh.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I add it by the handful even to regular green salads, just because I like to have it in my garden and it's a heavy producer. It's not overpowering.

Over the years, whenever I've been in the type of restaurant that adds a sprig as the default garnish, I've always eaten the sprig: partly for its purported virtues as a breath freshener, and partly because (as my father liked to joke) "it's often the most nutritious thing on the plate."

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The time has come…  

1B08369D-12EA-4E8A-8A70-B47032B55183.thumb.jpeg.538b637573cc6c6696d8796a5bdc1764.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, suzilightning said:

And I ask AGAIN......

where will the SPAM show up?

62A573FC-41A6-4549-B4E7-D8CB9B1BEEC5.thumb.jpeg.426441c06404773db990ac152c486eea.jpeg

In the breakfast of spampions. Spam hash with an unwashed (blue shelled)farm-fresh egg. 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I love to add fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, chive and mint to my salads in heavy amounts.   It makes romaine and even lowly iceburg lettuce be excellent carriers of flavor.   I am never that excited about standard green salads, so the herbs make it interesting to me.  And it makes the dressing take on a deconstructed "green goddess" flavor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Over the years, whenever I've been in the type of restaurant that adds a sprig as the default garnish, I've always eaten the sprig: partly for its purported virtues as a breath freshener, and partly because (as my father liked to joke) "it's often the most nutritious thing on the plate."

John eats all those sprigs - curly or flat.  One of the few vegetables this Reed will eat.😒

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5B3ABD01-177D-4562-B184-0A9432D14599.thumb.jpeg.e059f76b92e1a6d97fa52614e8aaec03.jpeg

A little nostalgia for lunch today. When hubby and I were first married, in that dark, dark time before frozen shrimp became readily available, this sandwich was a very special treat.

Canned cocktail shrimp in mayo served open face. Of course, if hubby were alive he would not countenance putting it on toasted rye bread nor of mixing it with kewpie mayo. It would be served on good Danish roggenbrot with loads of butter and Hellmann’s!  And there would be one or three glasses of aquavit to accompany it. 

Canned shrimp are to fresh shrimp as canned peas are to fresh peas. If you think they are any closer related you will be very disappointed with such a sandwich. This tasted exactly as I expected it to.  I am probably good now for the next 52 years or so.

(The canned shrimp were purchased for an entirely different purpose. There is another can in the cabinet. You may eventually learn what the other purpose was but I make no promises.)

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, suzilightning said:

@Anna N do you have a backup can for those Japanese breakfast sandwiches?

I’m not sure if you’re asking about the shrimp or the spam.  Certainly not the shrimp but the spam was sliced this morning and that which was not used was frozen ready for an onigirazu.  Brought all the fixings with me and I’m beginning to get withdrawal symptoms.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

I like the idea of trying the canned shrimp as you mentioned

Ill ask for it.

Im not sure what

kewpie mayo

is Im at a loss are your Rx mentioned Hellmans later

Im unmlikely to find

Danish roggenbrot

I did eat for a week at a time

i.e. two times

at the Danish Import House

( on Bloor in Toronto )

and had the time of my life

downstairs at the monthly

Smogasborad 

one time as I spotted the notice at the danish Import house

subsidized by Denmark , with Danish Products

all open faced collections of deliciousness.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

62A573FC-41A6-4549-B4E7-D8CB9B1BEEC5.thumb.jpeg.426441c06404773db990ac152c486eea.jpeg

In the breakfast of spampions. Spam hash with an unwashed (blue shelled)farm-fresh egg. 

You usually Spamalot when you are home right? Looks really good Anna N .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, demiglace said:

You usually Spamalot when you are home right? Looks really good Anna N .

I am not afraid of a little spam so long as it does not end up in my in-box. Even so I don’t go crazy with it. I open a can, slice it, and freeze most of it. I ration the can out over a couple of weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not afraid of a little spam so long as it does not end up in my in-box. Even so I don’t go crazy with it. I open a can, slice it, and freeze most of it. I ration the can out over a couple of weeks. 

Wow, am I slow today, took me a minute (inbox)! Never thought of freezing it. Like Julia said "Everything in moderation... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Spam is also excellent in fried rice.  

Yes it is.When grocery shopping is not an easy once a week affair, a couple of cans of Spam are nice to have in the pantry.  A few frozen slices don’t go amiss either.  They fry up quickly and a little caramelization helps a lot. I will admit to being a food snob at one time but  maturity mellows one and frailty seasons one and old age allows one to do whatever the hell one pleases within one’s physical limitations.  And hunger tames snobbery any day of the week.😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/18/2019 at 2:16 PM, Anna N said:

EDAE112B-20D3-44A9-9C18-6E4C0F9B3199.thumb.jpeg.04558bb23df17f0866d145f4cb1da3aa.jpeg

I am late posting these because they were an after breakfast snack. Pistachio almond cookies that Kerry made to take to work today. She left two for me. They looked like little crispy bites but were in fact chewy and quite tasty. 

Pistachio and almond are two of my favourite things. Is there a recipe around somewhere? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Pistachio and almond are two of my favourite things. Is there a recipe around somewhere? 

I am sure when I can ransom @Kerry Beal from the emergency department she will be happy to point you to a recipe. 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

@Anna N do you have a backup can for those Japanese breakfast sandwiches?

Performance anxiety eventually takes down even the most seasoned blogger.

8569E9DB-EF9D-41AB-866A-AC38148274BD.thumb.jpeg.da2542fe3cb28c217619003d6d8e4ba8.jpeg

Spam onigirazu  with a side of tomato jam.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog