• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

One of our stops in Sudbury  was at Value Village where I spotted these books. I did not buy them.

A07154ED-EDC7-497B-BCC2-C56AFB7CBABE.thumb.jpeg.790e4d278a1152d9364003bcbf9a43f0.jpeg

But I had a few moments of pure nostalgia while I stared at them.

And this is what happens when you go into a liquor store to buy one bottle of booze.   You end up in two liquor stores because the first one didn’t have what you wanted and come home with this many bottles.

ED4B6C15-46B5-4BBF-B0E6-A21BE6EB98F7.thumb.jpeg.008c800233de24a2788d5520b1268068.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Does my heart good to see you also have Restores.   Those, plus the houses they build are wonderful examples of what we can do for others.  At the moment we have 95 boxes of ceramic floor tiles ready to donate to our local Restore. We just need to find the energy to haul them in.   Okay, back on track but I needed to make that shout out for a wonderful group of people.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Does my heart good to see you also have Restores.   Those, plus the houses they build are wonderful examples of what we can do for others.  At the moment we have 95 boxes of ceramic floor tiles ready to donate to our local Restore. We just need to find the energy to haul them in.   Okay, back on track but I needed to make that shout out for a wonderful group of people.

Our Restore will pick up stuff - and give you a tax receipt when they do.

• Like 4

Our nearest store has only been open a short while.  Once they are up to speed, I suspect they will offer pick-ups as well.  One way or another, they will end up with some really nice tiles.

• Like 3

Good morning. We awoke to cooler weather which is a welcome change considering that we don’t have a working air conditioner.   I was so tired when we got back from Sudbury yesterday I only had enough energy to drink a cocktail and go to bed. So this morning I will post the rest of our photographs.

After Kerry visited Costco we were finally ready for a meal. I had been researching nearby restaurants when I came across MIC Whisky Pub. MIC =  made in Canada.  I asked Kerry if it sounded familiar and initially she said no. Once it came into view she knew we had been there before.  I tried to search our previous visits to Sudbury but without success. 

4A31B034-546A-4603-977F-0A34F6AD36D1.thumb.jpeg.d8e0daebfd33213a38fd6a5465686e51.jpeg

Finally, almost enough milk for Kerry’s tea!

DDD42E8E-947E-49E8-AAE6-F38523CB6742.thumb.jpeg.634909cd93ca5f3689452ccf87a11406.jpeg

A pint  of Ricard’s Red for me. 

We shared some appetizers. 

18D25434-3124-4DB8-A7C3-062A9E7768E6.thumb.jpeg.caa497112f5e276ddb83347d2662f8a2.jpeg

Kettle chips with a dip.

3B51C0AF-E1E2-4BDD-9349-3DA56A6A57EC.thumb.jpeg.4f8a08a05e38e24394bff9c657d2aec7.jpeg

Braised pork riblets with honey mustard sauce for dipping.

B0E723E8-D2D5-487C-997A-E0165B3237EF.thumb.jpeg.fd14a0c3fa64edcb769122fe07b8fc5f.jpeg

Calamari with Cajun aïoli.

E9D5006C-933C-4A62-A2F1-851F6B160759.thumb.jpeg.63dbce9a8e91dd415b07345db6134412.jpeg

Escargot with cheese and garlic bread for dipping.

Edited by Anna N
All sorts of typos. (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On our way back from Sudbury we felt the need to prove our Canadian citizenship so stopped in Timmy Hortons for an ice cap each. DF76BDBF-3F9E-4FC0-BE88-E04CED114BDD.thumb.jpeg.9e7f10974dfd82703f2fa8d767d93b15.jpeg

How is this for an intriguing purchase? 

444F7971-2A60-47FF-97FC-72FAFF528730.thumb.jpeg.67c9105bddb8e4b01cdcddad486a96cd.jpeg

954C14E8-CBA0-4BBB-B6B2-4D6FB18115EB.thumb.jpeg.4efbb65ab1817aa5d16812ffb47af301.jpeg

Kerry had spotted one of these in the thrift store that supports animals.  She asked about it and was directed to a store a couple of doors down, Tool Town, and snagged the last one he had in stock. 

649F0142-0C36-4CF9-B8F5-C420EA0F906D.thumb.jpeg.8a2745eccff1ca3c578e750eb3799af6.jpeg

Shishito peppers,  elastic bands – – yes we had to buy them!   3M hooks,  two books one of which I have no intention of cooking from— bought it out of curiosity, and finally some fresh dishwasher tablets because the ones here appear to have developed some kind of disease (I suspect they have been exposed to dampness or something). 

AA7ED67B-DF91-426E-BAA6-982A7AEC73DC.thumb.jpeg.803f2cae742fb826a301cff73020040b.jpeg

Various implements for fishing french fries out of hot oil, stainless steel bowl from Value Village that captured Kerry’s  heart,  small vacuum bags for the food saver, peanuts for making caramelized popcorn and David Liebovitz’ nuts. 

361D310D-F968-4677-89FF-851FEA5DE94C.thumb.jpeg.ee905f017d83f742f233774144e87fee.jpeg

Muscovado sugar,  Black bean garlic sauce and chilli garlic sauce, a lovely small baking tray, baby potatoes, tiny mushrooms, the real McCoy tonic water and finally, as a salute to the late and much missed Fat Guy, a Costco produce bag.

B2744E9A-BE10-4D19-B996-8F67AE5E0066.thumb.jpeg.45e3b33c10ff70610080b703f4d0fc96.jpeg

Harissa, vadouvan seasoning,  Sicilian lemon marmalade, mochi rice bites,  stem ginger, tomato jam, two very inexpensive knives ( what can I say? I am a knife whore),  dates and another book.

6303FCEF-FC6A-413E-BDF5-BDDEB76034C2.thumb.jpeg.2339fbc9917dfb1b3155928ab1b5fadf.jpeg

Just a photograph to show the cost of one of the milkshake cups which Kerry usually acquires for a buck or two.  She was horrified at the price in the store.

20524DE6-3AAD-41D0-A826-4E562E1C3FCA.thumb.jpeg.1932685795eb42e38d1213e50b6e60a1.jpeg

Our primary reason for visiting Costco!   Shrimp, scallops and decent chicken thighs. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

What a fun haul! I've never seen a folding roller cart like that before It's a wonderful find. Other random thoughts:

• Once again, you make me wish I were a Costco member, but since the nearest is over 150 miles away it's better that I remain a virtual member. My freezers would be even more full with things I'd eventually have to cook.
  • I have a stainless steel bowl exactly like that, that I picked up at an estate sale some years back. I am a sucker for bowls anyway, but there's something especially pleasing about the rounded corners and nearly straight sides of this one. 
  • I couldn't make out the title of the cookbook with the white cover, so I went on an interesting excursion through the internet looking for Dani Patterson. There are a lot of them, even with the addition of the word "cookbook". I arrived at Coi: Stories and Recipes and figured I'd found it, based on this 2013 review on Eater. It looks like fun. I think I understand what you mean about having no intention of cooking from it. 
  • I'm not sure I can make out the price of those milkshake cups, but they look like they're double-digit. Are they really $47? Gives new meaning to the 7-11 store chain's drink name, 'Big Gulp'. O.o
  • I had to look up "vadouvan seasoning" also. Now my mouth is watering.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I had to look up "vadouvan seasoning" also. Now my mouth is watering.

Not sure whether one can actually capture the flavour in a bottle!   But yesterday I threw caution to the wind and if something appealed to me I bought it whether or not it made any sense.   And this was before my beer.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

you can go back and get those books.

you are not going to be able to stop thinking about them

just saying.

indeed , after to looked them over for a few weeks

you could take them back.

Pleasant Dreams !

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

you can go back and get those books.

Ha ha.  I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the books I actually did buy. I am so over the Galloping Gourmet.🙁

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

The bowl is a West Bend. Some of my favorite bowls are West Bend. 

Yup - $47 for a milkshake cup!

I couldn't read it either and I wanted to be horrified too. Thank you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

The bowl is a West Bend. Some of my favorite bowls are West Bend. 

Does it fit in the Instant Pot for PIP cooking you think?   I like the straighter side bowls.   I had one, but *somebody* decided it made a better dog water bowl than an Instant Pot tool........Lord, give me strength....sometimes.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Does it fit in the Instant Pot for PIP cooking you think?   I like the straighter side bowls.   I had one, but *somebody* decided it made a better dog water bowl than an Instant Pot tool........Lord, give me strength....sometimes.

Seems to be the same size as the IP - so wouldn't work. But the smaller one (wonder where it is) would.

• Thanks 1

Breakfast?  Sort of. 

6A6FE7C8-1FF8-48A4-BC47-3868CB492B56.thumb.jpeg.9b9f85fa3a9ffba4327812ebf89c20c6.jpeg

I wanted to taste both the roasted onions and the tomato jam and this seemed like the best way to do it.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna just reminded me that I have been lax in my posting duties today as I sit around and wait for a student to come from Orillia.

IMG_5890.thumb.jpg.535e1d7365ca76686244edf6ca633dd6.jpg

Cut up the remaining berries - not a single one moldy. Smell amazing.

IMG_5891.thumb.jpg.ce8ed600354fda5aabea3a47e347b449.jpg

My lunch - the dreaded MW laced bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich.

IMG_5894.thumb.jpg.ee82869abb937306673cc9ed5b018f6b.jpg

The start of experiment 2 - Kenji's fries. You shouldn't try to put a kind of softish potato in the cutter - it gets kind of bendy and hard to push through. These have been cooked for about 10 minutes in salted and vinegar laced water. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

What do you plan to do with those strawberries, Kerry? It looks as though you're macerating them for a 'next step'. I'm pondering whether to do some sort of small-batch preservation or baking before the berries I bought go bad, or just continue eating myself silly. 

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What do you plan to do with those strawberries, Kerry? It looks as though you're macerating them for a 'next step'. I'm pondering whether to do some sort of small-batch preservation or baking before the berries I bought go bad, or just continue eating myself silly. 

Not sure - just knew they needed something done with. Will likely eat with a bit of heavy cream.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

8F1B4FE4-F453-4BF9-B6E8-09A4A72E095B.thumb.jpeg.e0b90ca88797a684a7ac6900142bec1e.jpeg

I was doing just fine without any more food until Kerry insisted on making herself a sandwich and I could smell the bacon. So here is my sandwich: white toast with leftover chuck eye steak, sliced Campari tomatoes and Kewpie mayo. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not sure - just knew they needed something done with. Will likely eat with a bit of heavy cream.

I got carried away and bought too many strawberries, I roasted them and they came out beautifully, jammy, with a real deep strawberry flavor.   I also topped it with a really good balsamic to level up the flavor punch over ice cream.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

649F0142-0C36-4CF9-B8F5-C420EA0F906D.thumb.jpeg.8a2745eccff1ca3c578e750eb3799af6.jpeg

two books one of which I have no intention of cooking from

You are going to love "Coi" by Daniel Patterson, he is a great writer and he eplains in full details all his thought processes behind his creations. One of the best restaurant books in my opinion.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

4 hours ago, teonzo said:

You are going to love "Coi" by Daniel Patterson, he is a great writer and he eplains in full details all his thought processes behind his creations. One of the best restaurant books in my opinion.

It does indeed make an interesting read and I have no regrets buying it but, as I suspected, I will not be cooking from it.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog