• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

Kijiji - hubby cleaned it,  refurbished it and mounted it on a board - and had it ready for me with some extra clamps to attach it to the counter when I returned from NYC. I got a text while I was there asking where my ultrasonic cleaner was. He said he didn't think it had ever been cleaned.

• Like 6

Just now, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

nice

more info pease ?

It is a Bloomfield fry cutter - vintage I think. These days Vollroth makes the Bloomfield and Vollroth replacement blades and pushers fit this cutter.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kijiji - hubby cleaned it,  refurbished it and mounted it on a board - and had it ready for me with some extra clamps to attach it to the counter when I returned from NYC. I got a text while I was there asking where my ultrasonic cleaner was. He said he didn't think it had ever been cleaned.

You and your hubby make a very impressive team!  🙂

PS  I love the varied cocktails that you and Anna have! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

PS  I love the varied cocktails that you and Anna have! 

Thanks but tonight it is with sadness that I drink alone. Good friends don’t let emergency room doctors imbibe while they are working.

Really good friends don’t brag that they are enjoying a Negroni alone. 

2E463F48-699D-44AC-B5A0-E7D622E118E2.thumb.jpeg.0e0f14b6e071a5dbe31bded832eef318.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On the other hand when she comes home later ready to eat the back end out of a skunk she will at least have some bacon ready to make a bacon buttie or whatever else comes to her mind!

08A60FBA-B845-4368-ADC2-7ACBADA3EE8D.thumb.jpeg.639454e2683a08aebcac14466cf6dc0c.jpeg

Presidents choice bacon on a rack over a foil lined baking pan and put in to the CSO in the toast position.  

C282819D-B77A-4B9B-9B16-C0283E6EC902.thumb.jpeg.6f6f6fa4edccf5c9984177c4aeca6fa2.jpeg

on convection bake 375° for 20 minutes. I flipped the bacon twice— at 10 minutes and again at 15 minutes. 

A19EAAAB-DFBD-4F59-B12B-103165488C5E.thumb.jpeg.fcb70047c7ae3cea75587dd8b126478f.jpeg

The devil forced me to eat one piece for  quality control purposes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My back and knees are killing me with the French fry cutter, be it Bloomfield or Vollroth (sic).

No back was harmed in the cutting of two potatoes - took me all of about 30 seconds to do. You may not be able to see it - but I am sitting on a chair there.

When I get it home I'll find an appropriate spot for it (likely not actually) - it will probably end up sideways on a countertop.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_5835.thumb.jpg.17d3851e5b19cde5691950ccc9198d52.jpg

Saw the post about the bacon cooking - stopped at the store for the only ripe tomato I could find. Bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich with Miracle Whip!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Saw the post about the bacon cooking - stopped at the store for the only ripe tomato I could find. Bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich with Miracle Whip!

You lost me at the Miracle Whip. ;) The rest of the sandwich, and the bacon preceding it, look wonderful!

• Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I grew up on the Whip.  I mostly use mayo (Duke's) now, but there is just something about Miracle Whip on a B,T & C sandwich!  I even like plain cheese sandwiches with it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

I Fall to Pieces. She's Got You. Crazy. Walking After Midnight.  Sweet Dreams. Tough decision, depending on mood.

Late to the Patsy Cline party here but I have to share that this morning, inspired by this thread, I queued up a Spotify "Top Tracks" playlist that included all of the tunes mentioned above and a few more and was tapping my foot against the table leg as I reviewed photos of my Mom's 90th year (inspired by @liuzhou's lovely story here) when I realized that the lamp hanging over the table was swaying to the music and had been for a while.  What?  Earthquake!  Here, at some distance, it was a very gentle, rolling motion that went on for some time but nothing sharp or jarring.  I know there is damage in the local, sparsely populated area but hope our other SoCal members and all in the area are OK.  

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I succumbed as I knew I would.

I stopped by the library yesterday and picked up the Milk Street Tuesday Nights cookbook.  Looking forward to hearing what you think and make from it!  I've got the fig and blue cheese pizza in my sights. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

No fries with that?   😞

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kerry, I am a Miracle Whip girl from waaaaaay back(don't let those Hellman's/Duke drag you down) though I now have made room in my life for Cain's.  Carry on with that beautiful sandwich!!!

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've got the fig and blue cheese pizza in my sights. 

I think this would be great but not up here. Kerry is not a fan of blue cheese!

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. According to the forecast we are expecting a muggy, hot day here on the Island. There is some rain in the forecast and a cold front should clear the air overnight.

C77C62F9-B599-40A5-9ADA-6ADE1B514177.thumb.jpeg.5e007ed968bcf5867f62b6b061534feb.jpeg

Cheddar and bacon melt for me for breakfast.

Not sure what adventure is planned once Kerry clears any remaining issues in the emergency room. She is officially off now, once that is done, until Monday but has agreed to be back up, if needed, for a new doctor on Sunday.  So we can wander far from home today and tomorrow but need to be close to the hospital on Sunday. But I know Kerry wants to get started on her french fry experiments and Kira is with us today so we may be sticking close to home today anyway.  Tomorrow the plan is definitely to go into Sudbury so I need to get cracking choosing recipes I want to make so we can pick up supplies.  I don’t know why I find that task so hard to complete.  Too many choices I think.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomorrow the plan is definitely to go into Sudbury so I need to get cracking choosing recipes I want to make so we can pick up supplies.  I don’t know why I find that task so hard to complete.  Too many choices I think.

That is almost always my problem! So many enticing things to do that there isn't enough time to do them all. I have trouble choosing too. This is why my cookbooks are festooned with stickers flagging must-try recipes, sometimes for years until I find those stickers (or old letters, or post cards, or photos) in a book that I'm considering for the donation pile.

I only know Sudbury as the city on the highway with the Giant Nickel, and with the stunted vegetation due to years of uncontrolled emissions from the smelter there. (That information is a few decades old, so maybe the vegetation has recovered.) I also remember it being a sizable town compared to the surroundings, but still rather small. I'll be interested to see what the shopping choices are there - and any scenery from the ride in, and shops you go into, after your trip.

Meanwhile, that bacon looks amazingly crisp, a delightful foil to the melty cheese beneath it. I thought I'd worked out the perfect way for me to do bacon, but if I had a CSO I might have to rethink that assessment.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

That is almost always my problem! 

I have forced myself to select three recipes that I think I’m prepared to attempt:

Macanese meat and potato also known as minchi

The Vietnamese meatball lettuce wrap.

The mushroom pork omelette. 

But I’d also like to make a chicken thigh recipe. It’s just a matter of choosing one. 

Sudbury has most things unless you want to wander into the ethnic world in which case you are unlikely to find much. There does not seem to be much in the way of Asian or Mexican  ingredients. On the other hand it now has a Costco, a HomeSense and most of the Ontario grocery stores seem to have a branch in Sudbury.  There are also a number of thrift stores of which our favourite is “PetSave ReTAIL Thrift Shop & Collectibles”.   We can almost guarantee that we get some quality time with one or three cats in there!

I don’t think you need a CSO to cook bacon since I used the convection function which is available on most ovens. At home I do it in the Breville toaster oven. 

I just realized that all of the recipes I chose are based on ground pork. I may have to revisit that decision. 

Edited to add:  and of course a  cannabis outlet.

Edited by Anna N
Verb tense (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I only know Sudbury as the city on the highway with the Giant Nickel, and with the stunted vegetation due to years of uncontrolled emissions from the smelter there. (That information is a few decades old, so maybe the vegetation has recovered.)

The last time I was through I was pleased to note that the slag heaps have been converted into rolling hills covered with green grass. That being said, I certainly would not plant root vegetables on any of those pretty slopes.

I never see the city's name without mentally hearing the voice of Stompin' Tom Connors.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A25CF7EE-59FA-4C92-8D7E-6E96C0C74297.thumb.jpeg.cb8b5fe375963a471fd5f9d57fc8dbdb.jpeg

The child and I did rounds this am - she was a little cranky. 6278C495-139B-4C56-B90B-32FAD8172AF2.thumb.jpeg.fb0e6d0f6d43d668e116d202aad93977.jpeg

Thought perhaps cranky pants might be hungry so did scrambled eggs on control freak. We shared 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1