• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

C3D95CE9-41D7-44DE-A43D-9C6271C31F8B.thumb.jpeg.3695880c93a8db8af028f44b3b83ae0a.jpeg

While in Buffalo recently , Kerry picked up these chuck eye steaks at Wegmans.

This a cut I used to get from our dear departed butcher, Jeffrey, at the old Essex Street Market.  Specifically, I would use it for grinding and making burgers at home. Great flavor; I'm sure it will be wonderful bathed and then finished off however.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

I also learned a lot from the early days of Test Kitchen , as I find watching chef cook improves my own Technique

Jacque Pepin and all done the line.

Now, now. Let's not conflate Jacques with Chris Kimball. Please.

It would be like conflating Julia with, ummmmmm, Anne Burrell?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo

just to review briefly :

CK never really did cook.  as far as I can remember.

CK was The Money.

my apologies to the 

LunchLadies

on Vacation 1

money-mouth.gif.95443731b25bb41e55ee1a89bf4a74cd.gif

reviewing :

money-mouth.gif.95443731b25bb41e55ee1a89bf4a74cd.gif

that's about vacations everywhere

suprise.gif.1992ac50ed8a207d05418681f36f6707.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

You are probably right and I am guilty of seeing Dorie through rose coloured glasses.  But I am going to keep my illusions rather than surrender to the dark side. 

It's hard not to like Dorie, but I have to admit that I own French Table and rarely consult it. I don't think I've opened it in two years. But she's a generous spirit and there are a couple of her simpler recipes that I have made many times. As for Chris Kimball, he's never been a conundrum to me. I just plain hate him. Beyond the fact that he is a pompous phony, he seems determined not to give even one recipe for free. All the sites associated with him do that blurry thing which infuriates me no end. So stingy! If  had a copy of that Milk St book I would send it to you for free. Maybe someone out there has one.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

It's hard not to like Dorie, but I have to admit that I own French Table and rarely consult it. I don't think I've opened it in two years. But she's a generous spirit and there are a couple of her simpler recipes that I have made many times. As for Chris Kimball, he's never been a conundrum to me. I just plain hate him. Beyond the fact that he is a pompous phony, he seems determined not to give even one recipe for free. All the sites associated with him do that blurry thing which infuriates me no end. So stingy! If  had a copy of that Milk St book I would send it to you for free. Maybe someone out there has one.....

ATK isn’t any better after he left. 

I really do understand that they are a business and need to profit. 

But there is a long tradition of giving a free taste in hopes of selling a meal. 

The taste that ATK and Milk St leaves is bitter. 

• Like 5

Forgot to post what I took to grand rounds today (along with the other half of the Paul Young brownies for the nursing home).

IMG_5800.thumb.jpg.bef8a86aaa918ef2e10aaf001403861d.jpg

This is @Pille's Rhubarb Sheet Cake - equal parts by weight of eggs, sugar, butter and flour topped with the same weight in rhubarb and sprinkled with some demara sugar.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I will put in a word for bison brisket. It's marvelous stuff. As long as you cook it, oh, maybe twice as long as you planned.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another gorgeous morning on Manitoulin Island. Kerry  has gone off to Wiki (Wikwemikong), Kira has gone off with her caregiver and I have become a washerwoman for the day! Yes, even on holiday chores must be done. At least laundry is easily accomplished here. A stacked washer and dryer are in the utility room just behind the kitchen. Much nicer for me than having to lug everything up and down stairs as I do at home. 

FB2F7AA6-2930-4458-8F14-581D4CA644FE.thumb.jpeg.e79a11e149af4b6bd8bcc8ce6d6b2b50.jpeg

Point Reyes cheese, a Bartlett pear (not nearly ripe enough) and some buttered rye toast. 

Edited by Anna N
Trying to fix the front (log)
  • Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

If  had a copy of that Milk St book I would send it to you for free. Maybe someone out there has one.....

That is very kind of you. But I do want to make it clear that cost is not the issue in terms of whether or not I buy this book. I am weighing up my dislike of Christopher Kimball versus my curiosity as to the recipes in this new iteration of his cooking philosophy or whatever it is he motors on!

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@JoNorvelleWalker

If the new pills have not put you into extremis, can you please tell me more about this:

“I love sous vide corn on the cob 30 minutes or a bit more at 60 deg C, a la @nathanm”

Did you put it in a Ziploc bag or vacuum seal it? Did you add anything to the package? Thank you very much.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

That is very kind of you. But I do want to make it clear that cost is not the issue in terms of whether or not I buy this book. I am weighing up my dislike of Christopher Kimball versus my curiosity as to the recipes in this new iteration of his cooking philosophy or whatever it is he motors on!

Forgive me if I wasn't clear. I'm not worried about your finances, although no opportunity for kindness to you would be missed, I hope. I just want you to spend your dollars on anything that doesn't enrich Chris Kimball. I can go lower, but I'm not sure how. Okay, that's not strictly true.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Forgive me if I wasn't clear. 

No worries. Apparently other people interpreted my sitting on the fence as a matter of finances and offered me other methods of obtaining this book including using the library. I just thought I would make it clear that cost was not a factor in my indecision (although it frequently is the overriding factor!)

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

If the new pills have not put you into extremis, can you please tell me more about this:

“I love sous vide corn on the cob 30 minutes or a bit more at 60 deg C, a la @nathanm”

Did you put it in a Ziploc bag or vacuum seal it? Did you add anything to the package? Thank you very much.

Vacuum seal.  The bag will swell up so it needs to be weighted down.  Somehow I'm remembering you tried this method once and found the corn wasn't cooked enough.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Vacuum seal.  The bag will swell up so it needs to be weighted down.  Somehow I'm remembering you tried this method once and found the corn wasn't cooked enough.

I think you probably have a better memory than I have. Thanks. I think I’m going to try it at 83.5 for 30 minutes and see how that goes.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I think you probably have a better memory than I have. Thanks. I think I’m going to try it at 83.5 for 30 minutes and see how that goes.  

At least the cob part might still have some texture.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Re: Milk Street: I currently subscribe to the magazine, as it was offered at a steep discount (it can happen, @rotuts) and I was curious. So far I enjoy it and have enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it. However, for reasons discussed above by some of the rest of you, I've been disinclined to buy the book. I may see whether our library carries it.

Our library system actually has Mail-a-Book! I recently used to to borrow a tome that would have required a trip to town for Inter-library-loan request, and this way I got it from a library 100 miles away for free. I am delighted.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At least the cob part might still have some texture.

Do remember that I pretty much have to gum it to death!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4288593C-1C13-4565-8858-BA125D0B5AE8.thumb.jpeg.8f4f2948bec63823e67bf1417c0cff87.jpeg

A light lunch today. Even lighter than I was anticipating. This was some of the soup that I made from the leftover rotisserie chicken that we brought up. It’s been in the freezer until now. When I was dividing up the soup into Ziploc bags I somehow managed to get nothing much besides liquid into this bag.   The cherries are beginning to look as though they have just about given up their all. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Amaretto sour

A7BBFC21-5B02-4C0B-8FA9-7C3A3D276B20.thumb.jpeg.e96d06ae186c4e71cd967a249da946a8.jpeg

I don't drink much liquor anymore, but this used to be my favorite.  So did White Russians until one unfortunate night in a dive bar playing pool and listening to Patsy Cline on the jukebox.......😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

23B5E3A6-76BF-4980-84DF-9FCA26739843.thumb.jpeg.0623b017e39c81ff99caaf52ca357f8a.jpeg

While I was thinking that Kerry was working hard in Wiki she was actually grocery shopping again and stopping in at Pike Lake Farm!  I broke one of those precious eggs when I was trying to lift the carton out of the shopping bag. I also ate too many of those delicious local strawberries.  In the blue wrapper is mint that Kerry picked at the edge of the water in Wiki. 

063023A7-0280-4902-AD2E-B0DA74EA9BAD.thumb.jpeg.12802f8d7c2dc669c5f6e06855da8e98.jpeg

Close up of the just-picked strawberries.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog