• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

My old dishwasher made noise, leaked on the floor, took half as long as the Frigidaire, but it got the dishes clean.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, IowaDee said:

They're creepy and they're kooky, 
Mysterious and spooky, 
They're altogether ooky, 
The Addams Family. 

Their house is a museum 
When people come to see 'em 
They really are a scream 
The Addams Family. 

[snap twice]
(Neat) 
[snap twice]
(Sweet) 
[snap twice]
(Petite
So get a witch's shawl on 
A broomstick you can crawl on 
We're gonna pay a call on 
The Addams Family.

And now you too can have an ear worm

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/theaddamsfamilylyrics.html

To this day I hear “a rooster you can crawl on”

never did make sense

• Haha 4

IMG_5795.thumb.jpg.f2f9b04a7840af65728dab4e60661332.jpg

Sitter dropped the kidlet back to us just after I made it home. Invited her to help us finish off the Brother's Perryman.

IMG_5797.thumb.jpg.5802b355aa50393b5dea5d3016958946.jpg

I've forgotten what the dish was called (maybe gyuodon) but it contained the perfect onsen tamago. 

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, teonzo said:

To get back on topic, the Addams Family had a lot of interesting recipes too. Time for some Addams experiments in Manitoulin!

Teo

I’d have to find dry ice

• Haha 6

Good morning. Another misty morning in Manitoulin. We are in for a cloudy day with some sunshine according to the forecast.

3174BCC8-7ABB-4C94-AE7E-82B754605854.thumb.jpeg.caec4a104776aa40f543ed29aee6b417.jpeg 

Breakfast was ham on toasted rye with Dijon mustard, a few cherries and of course black coffee.

Kerry has gone off to “grand rounds”, a phrase that always amuses me and puts me in mind of the Carry On Doctor series. From  Wikipedia: “A British advocate (Frankie Howerd) of mind over matter lands in a hospital where nobody minds and nothing matters.”

After rounds she will see patients in the Little Current Clinic until lunchtime when she will go over to the Manor, a long-term care facility.   In theory it should be a relatively civilized day after yesterday in the emergency room. 

The major task I have set myself today is rather boring. I need more real estate! I am accustomed to my very large coffee table and here I am reduced to a small TV table and a side table. I spend a good part of my day picking things up off the floor because I’ve knocked them off one of these two surfaces. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

C3D95CE9-41D7-44DE-A43D-9C6271C31F8B.thumb.jpeg.3695880c93a8db8af028f44b3b83ae0a.jpeg

While in Buffalo recently , Kerry picked up these chuck eye steaks at Wegmans. This is my very favourite cut of beef.  I have just vacuum sealed each of them and they are happily paddling about in a 56°C sous vide bath for the next 24 hours. There are no plans for them in the immediate future so they will end up in their fridge or freezer for the time being. 

Speaking of buffalo… Kira’s new caregiver (and the caregiver’s husband) raise bison and are also currently caring for some orphaned baby skunk.  More on both these topics I hope as we get to know this caregiver.  A little bison burger would not go amiss I think.   Even better, a couple of bison steaks might hit the spot especially after being SV’d.  Must explore that possibility.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

For some days before I even arrived in Manitoulin I have been hemming and hawing about two recipe books.

Dorie Greenspan‘s, Everyday Dorie, is a puzzlement.  We, here on eG, are generally huge fans of Dorie but I can find only one recipe from this, her latest book, in the forum—This prepared by @blue_dolphin. Has Dorie lost her appeal? Or is it that Dorie is so well known for her sweets that  we don’t trust her with savouries? But that can’t be true either because many of us cooked from Around My French Table.  All that is just a long way of saying that I succumbed just now and bought her new book.  I am hoping to try a few recipes while we are up here. 

The other book is even more of a conundrum for me. It is Christopher Kimball‘s Milk Street Tuesday Nights. I am not a fan of Kimball but Kerry did remind me that when I first started to cook seriously, I devoured every issue of Cooks Illustrated that I could get my hands on. I learned a great deal from some of those magazines.  But like many others I found over the years the  magazines and the recipes became more and more repetitious and Kimball’s business model became more and more annoying.

So why am I looking at possibly buying this book? I would have to say because it encompasses recipes that have moved away from the strictly homey American food model. There is nothing wrong with blueberry buckle but I like to see what is  happening with food from other cultures. Finally Kimball seems to have acknowledged that there is the world beyond his fantasy farmland.  So I’m curious.  Anybody?  I have yet to lay out the money but the temptation is not going away.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

I completely agree with you re:  CK @ Test Kitchen

the business model was then and still might be an abomination.

I also learned a lot from the early days of Test Kitchen , as I find watching chef cook improves my own Technique

Jacque Pepin and all done the line.

I have a large number of the very early Test Kitchen Books

as way way back in time , Google and a pay system w Amazon that brought me these books

for ' price to me ' < 40 % cover '    not 40 % off

and I enjoyed reading them

there was some sort of Big Time Spat w the owners of TestKitchen and CK

that has been resolved , and I can't fine the dirt about it 

Milk Street has different PBS videos than Test Kitchen :  international , not so much Pork Chops V 37.

I get the MS magazine out of the library , and its fairly interesing

I have the two books as e-books , and have checked them out of the library

Id say you will enjoy the two books , as they have international flavo(u)r

sending  money to CK , sell

maybe , as you are an e-book person 

get those ?

the Milk Street magazine is quite nice

but dups out the books.

F.D.:  Im able to cap all the local PBS cooking shows into my iMac

I edit them to make them smaller , and have them all

I have HardDrives that are replicating like Rats.

P.S.:   I think the MilkStreet business model is a bit different then the older Test Kitchen.

it seem to rely more on " The Web " 

a subscription gets you everything and the MilkStreet Proper place

has ' Cooking School '  and various celebrity chefs invited to do the same there.

if you had all the magazines  , and I do not think there are e-zines 

there would be no dups on the two books

I do not know if all that is in the magazines are in the both books.

if it would not drive me crazy , based on History

Id really would enjoy a subscription to Milk Street magazine

on deep sale.

but my library system has it

so Im fine with that.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Dorie Greenspan‘s, Everyday Dorie, is a puzzlement.  We, here on eG, are generally huge fans of Dorie but I can find only one recipe from this, her latest book, in the forum—This prepared by @blue_dolphin. Has Dorie lost her appeal?

I borrowed the ebook of Everyday Dorie from the library back in April but didn't to a ton of cooking from it before I had to return it, mostly because I had a big hand bandage at the time.  In addition to those salmon burgers, which I thought were a good way to use up scrap salmon but not my first recipe choice for a nice piece of fish, I also shared the Lower East Side Tart in this post.  I made the soy sauce-cured egg yolks that were to go on some sticky rice but forgot about them in the fridge so I never ate them.  I saved the recipe for the unfortunately named "Lemon Goop" that she serves over scallops and also recipes for corn chowder and pimento cheese.  

I think it's a very approachable, easy to cook from book but many of the recipes already exist, sometimes in more appealing versions, in other books in my collection. I don't need another recipe for Miso Salmon.  

I might borrow it again for another look but at the time, I decided not to invest.  

Edited to add that this statement:

many of the recipes already exist, sometimes in more appealing versions, in other books in my collection

hasn't necessarily stopped me from buying other books 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think it's a very approachable, easy to cook from book but many of the recipes already exist, sometimes in more appealing versions, in other books in my collection. I don't need another recipe for Miso Salmon.  

I might borrow it again for another look but at the time, I decided not to invest.  

Thanks for your insight.

I wonder if people like Dorie Greenspan feel compelled to keep churning out cookbooks to keep their names front and center? Somehow this doesn’t jibe with how I think about Dorie. 

The cover photograph on the book must surely sell many copies.   The first recipe that intrigues me is the carrot and mustard rillettes (even though the title is an abominable misrepresentation  of the classical meaning of rillettes).   And goop surely lost any cachet it might ever have had the minute that Gwyneth Paltrow  began using it. 

Yet I’m enough of a Dorie fan to give her  an opportunity to prove she can still turn out some spectacular dishes. I have barely opened the book so it’s going to be a while before I decide to test any recipes. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

55191441-B853-41B7-A0CC-E962FE48CF93.thumb.jpeg.f0942eed61ff0bcd3b3d569a2620971d.jpeg

More grocery shopping.

C041F0AA-2766-4540-9CEC-A17BE3C1E165.thumb.jpeg.aceaccf658c5e4bab7265563d5139943.jpeg

As you can see by the Crisco and the sugars Kerry is planning her usual bonanza of baking while we are here. 

5DFF3120-DB46-420E-9B43-BE92623129E2.thumb.jpeg.f9dc47c639cd690591d827f619ae87ce.jpeg

I will take responsibility for some of the things on this table but whole wheat  rigatoni?  There’s just no accounting for taste.😯

58FEC63A-E26D-4DCA-A7F3-94B4876B2EFE.thumb.jpeg.a00203ba1d382bb073a8d9e337d0cc58.jpeg

Not sure about all the tortilla chips but I might be a responsible having mentioned that it would be fun to make some loaded nachos at some point.

I hear that Kira is in love with the bison. I do hope she doesn’t name them or they’ll be no hope of bison steaks.

Now it is time for me to turn my attention to tonight’s dinner although I would much prefer to just sit here and read Dorie Greenspan’s latest cookbook. 

Edited by Anna N
To change the word all for the word or which makes much more sense (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I wonder if people like Dorie Greenspan feel compelled to keep churning out cookbooks to keep their names front and center? Somehow this doesn’t jibe with how I think about Dorie. 

Might just be done for the money.

@Anna N

1.  WHY do you feel you need to own the books?  I borrowed both of the books you mentioned from the library.  Copied out maybe 2-6 recipes.  I  am a librarian of almost 40 years and unless I want to copy out 1/3 -1/2 of the recipes I do not buy the book.  Just my rule.  

2.  Bison!!!! YES, please.  We almost never buy ground meat any more UNLESS I know where it is from and how it is raised.  We DO buy bison however as one of John's triggers for iBS is fat and bison is so much lower.  You do have to be vigilant in cooking it and compensate for the lower fat content in different way.  

can't wait to see what you do with it!

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Might just be done for the money.

You are probably right and I am guilty of seeing Dorie through rose coloured glasses.  But I am going to keep my illusions rather than surrender to the dark side. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@Anna N

1.  WHY do you feel you need to own the books?  I borrowed both of the books you mentioned from the library.  Copied out maybe 2-6 recipes.  I  am a librarian of almost 40 years and unless I want to copy out 1/3 -1/2 of the recipes I do not buy the book.  Just my rule.  

2.  Bison!!!! YES, please.  We almost never buy ground meat any more UNLESS I know where it is from and how it is raised.  We DO buy bison however as one of John's triggers for iBS is fat and bison is so much lower.  You do have to be vigilant in cooking it and compensate for the lower fat content in different way.  

can't wait to see what you do with it!

It is not a matter of wanting to own the books for the sake of owning them but my ability to access the library is very limited. Even more so up here in Manitoulin where they have probably never even heard of Dorie Greenspan.  Most of my life I was a library patron but physical handicaps limit my ability to do some of the things that I used to do.  But I do thank you for the suggestion.   E-books are my friends. 

Well you are much more optimistic than I am regarding the bison. I don’t know yet if they’ve slaughtered any of them.  No idea if the meat is available to us. But I am as anxious as you are to find out.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks for your insight.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Might just be done for the money

Maybe authors have multi-book deals with publishers the way recording artists have contracts to release x number of albums with x years?  Or 'publish or perish' is not just for academia. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Maybe authors have multi-book deals with publishers the way recording artists have contracts to release x number of albums with x years?

I know that some certainly do.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

It is not a matter of wanting to own the books for the sake of owning them but my ability to access the library is very limited. Even more so up here in Manitoulin where they have probably never even heard of Dorie Greenspan.  Most of my life I was a library patron but physical handicaps limit my ability to do some of the things that I used to do.  But I do thank you for the suggestion.   E-books are my friends. 

Our local and very small regional library has some kind of delivery service for folks who find it hard to get out.  Perhaps your local library at home has a similar service.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Maybe authors have multi-book deals with publishers the way recording artists have contracts to release x number of albums with x years?  Or 'publish or perish' is not just for academia. 

I've read that Ina Garten does her TV stuff just to feed her book sales.  Which is fine with me.  And I don't begrudge Dorie her book income. We all have expenses.

• Like 2

this is really about the LunchLadies 

having a bit of Vacation

but PBS, USA used to be a Public funded affair 

it might still be

of sortsw

but after Julia Child stopped filming in balk and White

the cooking shows became ' sponsored '

a very long time ago 

when I have cable briefly

Molto Mario , etc

I was able to cap them and then archive the,

FoodnetWork

for MortoMario

has more minutes / 30  than PBS back them

lets say 2003

now

the PBS cooking shows I cap

have more sponsors and less time Dans Le Wok

show feed the books

and sometimes not such a new book either

and then they travel to Events

I dont mind

my library system as all the bookd

and buys all the DVD's

• Like 1

Rug rat had a good day with her new caregiver. 

IMG_5805.thumb.jpg.4c58107f81898e1628adb33e386399cf.jpg

Not a huge fan of the baby skunks.

IMG_5807.jpg.cf31beb6e50d6892f609e359d95625c2.jpg

Not the slightest bit afraid of the bison. They should fear her! Made a good friend with the dog.

IMG_5808.jpg.c2820945a7253d5331ea36b62580c1cd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2