• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

46 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Happy Canada Day! any plans?

Likely removing fish hooks, sewing up the lacerations from falling off decks and rocks. At 6 pm sharp - having a cocktail!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning. It is another sunny but relatively cool day here in Little Current. 

Breakfast this morning is leftover pork from yesterday evening on toasted rye bread. I will save my fruit for a midmorning snack today.

B012EE24-A593-4DFA-8DA3-FF64A77C30C2.thumb.jpeg.564846122fe29dc475f0c308a3268196.jpeg 

No idea what I will get up to today but I rather doubt that Canada Day will influence it one way or the other.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Likely removing fish hooks, sewing up the lacerations from falling off decks and rocks. At 6 pm sharp - having a cocktail!

Add in a few self inflicted firework burns as well for good measure!

10 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Add in a few self inflicted firework burns as well for good measure!

I think I've only had one good firework burn up here in all the years I've been coming. Rockets in the pockets as I recall. Off to the burn unit. But now that you've said it...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think I've only had one good firework burn up here in all the years I've been coming. Rockets in the pockets as I recall. Off to the burn unit. But now that you've said it...

Heh...that or I think back to my days as a Foolish 'Yout and our Roman Candle fights....oh boy.....

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sour cream rhubarb cookies 

Yum - wish I had one of these to go with my coffee!  

If you are looking for other rhubarb baked treats for your staff, the rhubarb blondies in Sister Pie got a lot of kudos from people who made them last month in a cookbook group I keep tabs on.  There's a recipe at this link

• Like 3

@blue_dolphin

Those do look good!

7EDAEDF1-880F-464E-860B-14CFCC4BFFA9.thumb.jpeg.bb75ef844e67058f376fef4300e0f788.jpeg

Mid morning snack: one of Kerry‘s cookies and a bowl of cherries and grapes. We just unpacked this bowl and it always whispers “asparagus” to us.  But it was right in front of my nose so I put my fruit in it.

I am still moving at a snail’s pace.  But then what are holidays for? Still my Puritan upbringing weighs heavy on my mind. Idle hands are the devils play things and such.

But my mind is not entirely idle.   I am contemplating dinner.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sour cream rhubarb cookies 

These look really good, Kerry. I searched eGullet and couldn't find a recipe. Could you possibly provide one, please?

54 minutes ago, TdeV said:

These look really good, Kerry. I searched eGullet and couldn't find a recipe. Could you possibly provide one, please?

Sour Cream Rhubarb Cookies

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I realized what time it was and that Kerry had not eaten today I began to pull together a frittata for her.   However, she arrived home with only enough time to munch on some corn chips with salsa and, I’m guessing, guac.  I didn’t actually see it.  But I’ll stick it in the fridge I’m sure it will get eaten eventually. Nothing exciting, just ham and cheese with a few scallions slices thrown in there. 

38B6F35B-7EBF-4802-9DC9-97FF6F121E60.thumb.jpeg.42a1a9252b5b2e7ab7ee7844f736b01c.jpeg

I will likely have a small sliver to bide me over until dinner time. 

Just as an aside, I am a word and usage junkie.  This use of the verb “bide” came quite naturally but when I do some investigation I don’t find much  to support this usage. I  suspect it is Derbyshire/Yorkshire dialect.   Back to food and cooking.

We have had a chance now to shake down this kitchen and its weaknesses are beginning to override its strengths. One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

The dishwasher appears to work only  to sanitize already clean dishes otherwise it just sanitizes the food right onto them.  

Some of the issues with the kitchen have much to do with whoever determined what cabinets should contain what items. I guess this is a very personal matter. If we owned it we would fix it but for now we are working around it as best we can.

Edited by Anna N
Do you add a whole bunch of thoughts about words and kitchens and cabbages and Kings (log)
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

This calls for a visit to a couple of thrift stores, where you'll find the right lamp for you for $1.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

1 minute ago, teonzo said:

This calls for a visit to a couple of thrift stores, where you'll find the right lamp for you for $1.

Teo

That would mean relinquishing a very precious outlet of which there are very few!   Don’t forget we are the queens of kitchen appliances!😂

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

When I realized what time it was and that Kerry had not eaten today I began to pull together a frittata for her.   However, she arrived home with only enough time to munch on some corn chips with salsa and, I’m guessing, guac.  I didn’t actually see it.  But I’ll stick it in the fridge I’m sure it will get eaten eventually. Nothing exciting, just ham and cheese with a few scallions slices thrown in there. 

38B6F35B-7EBF-4802-9DC9-97FF6F121E60.thumb.jpeg.42a1a9252b5b2e7ab7ee7844f736b01c.jpeg

I will likely have a small sliver to bide me over until dinner time. 

Just as an aside, I am a word and usage junkie.  This use of the verb “bide” came quite naturally but when I do some investigation I don’t find much  to support this usage. I  suspect it is Derbyshire/Yorkshire dialect.   Back to food and cooking.

We have had a chance now to shake down this kitchen and its weaknesses are beginning to override its strengths. One thing that I struggle with even more than Kerry, I suspect, is the lighting.  With black appliances and black counters there is nothing to reflect light and the lightIng is weak and minimal at best. There is no light over the range as the microwave is there and it does not appear to have a light built-in as most of the over-the-range ones do. 

The dishwasher appears to work only  to sanitize already clean dishes otherwise it just sanitizes the food right onto them.  

Some of the issues with the kitchen have much to do with whoever determined what cabinets should contain what items. I guess this is a very personal matter. If we owned it we would fix it but for now we are working around it as best we can.

I would say "tide me over"

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I would say "tide me over"

And I am certainly familiar with that expression and perhaps my brain flip-flopped on the first letter.   I remain curious though.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Where's Uncle Fester when Anna N needs him???

I am not familiar with that character and so I looked him up. Except for the gender his description matches me to a T so it’s quite possible we are related.

“Uncle Fester is a completely hairless, hunched, and barrel-shaped man with dark, sunken eyes and often a deranged smile.”

From Wikipedia.

• Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am not familiar with that character and so I looked him up. Except for the gender his description matches me to a T so it’s quite possible we are related.

Try putting a light bulb in your mouth, if it goes on then you are twins! And you solved your lighting problem.

Watching some episodes of the Addams Family (the original series, not the movies) is highly suggested, one of the funniest things to ever be aired on TV.

Teo

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Teo

They're creepy and they're kooky, 
Mysterious and spooky, 
They're altogether ooky, 
The Addams Family. 

Their house is a museum 
When people come to see 'em 
They really are a scream 
The Addams Family. 

[snap twice]
(Neat) 
[snap twice]
(Sweet) 
[snap twice]
(Petite
So get a witch's shawl on 
A broomstick you can crawl on 
We're gonna pay a call on 
The Addams Family.

And now you too can have an ear worm

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/theaddamsfamilylyrics.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

As does mine.  Is it a Frigidaire?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou