• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

1 hour ago, curls said:

I've had that smoked blue cheese and agree with you Anna, it is quite delicious. Will have to pick some up when I finish my current bits of blue cheese.

@curls I so agree!!  John likes a thin slice on his bison burger.  I like it stuffed into a fresh fig that is then draped in VERY thinly sliced prosciutto de San Danielle or jamon Iberico then popped into a hot oven for about 5-8 minutes.  Drizzle with some aged balsamic (I have a 12 year in my stash).

OOOHHHHHHH..... just found black figs at the farm store.  They only had prosciutto de Parma so OK.  I don't have and probably can't get Rogue but I do have some Ewe's blue....maybe do the roast, quarter them and put them on top of some greens and top with a balsamic vinaigrette for dinner....

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

90E670D7-3BC7-410C-A048-BECE9C9985E7.thumb.jpeg.3f72b2fd53e59f9fe3f4dafea1ce1ad1.jpeg

Still not likely to make anyone’s heart beat faster but it’s lunch. (Probably better than Kerry’s which I don’t think she even tasted because she ate it so fast. They called her from emerg almost the minute she got back from grocery shopping.) rotisserie chicken, coleslaw, grapes and honey-mustard dipping sauce for the chicken. 

As an aside and so you understand how much of a tossup grocery shopping can be on the Island, I asked Kerry to bring a bunch of parsley.  No parsley in the two grocery stores here in Little Current.  She managed to bag the last remaining of that most endangered species – – Schweppes Tonic Water. Sure you can get Canada Dry or Presidents Choice. But Schweppes, the only one worth getting, always seems to be in short supply. 

Edited by Anna N
To remove extraneous photographs. (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  tonic water?  I soooo envy you!!

I had to give it up years ago as I am one of those folks who has problems with quinine - even in those small amounts in tonic water.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

19 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

@Anna N  tonic water?  I soooo envy you!!

I had to give it up years ago as I am one of those folks who has problems with quinine - even in those small amounts in tonic water.

Yep. Tonic water with quinine.  Whether it actually works or whether it is only in my head, I find I have fewer night time leg cramps if I have a drink of tonic water on a daily basis (even fewer if I add enough gin to the tonic water). Probably more psychological than anything (or perhaps just better hydration) but I say if it works for you go for it.  My sister swears by a bar of soap in her bed as a “cure” for leg cramps. If you believe it works and you believe you have fewer cramps as a result....   so long as these remedies are not harmful I don’t see any reason to change. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Please note the box.....

Like shipping coal to Newcastle.  

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

6D20BC2B-D87F-4005-AF6C-6B1742AC98A7.thumb.jpeg.9ba0bf785716187f544197b4aa4be287.jpeg

Outside view of the front of our new digs. We have the lower unit.

B1B29039-0ADB-4A72-8EB9-C23DCAFE1526.thumb.jpeg.5bdf1f8375599c33393c208cdaa808f8.jpeg

The mist has cleared and we can see the marina. 

72CCCD96-DA7F-4EAD-B514-BCB487226D4A.thumb.jpeg.3189497771524f92338801765d467331.jpeg

And Kerry was able to escape the clutches of the emergency department long enough to make a trip to the liquor store.  The magazine in front is a freebie as most of you know.

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

re tonic water.

Schwepp's is indeed the best and their diet tonic is as well.

But in a pinch I'm happy to drink the Polar brand which is pretty close to Schwepp's and nowhere as cloyingly sweet as Canada Dry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yep. Tonic water with quinine.  Whether it actually works or whether it is only in my head, I find I have fewer night time leg cramps if I have a drink of tonic water on a daily basis (even fewer if I add enough gin to the tonic water). Probably more psychological than anything (or perhaps just better hydration) but I say if it works for you go for it.  My sister swears by a bar of soap in her bed as a “cure” for leg cramps. If you believe it works and you believe you have fewer cramps as a result....   so long as these remedies are not harmful I don’t see any reason to change. 

I am a leg cramp sufferer.  And hand cramp.  And other stuff.  I took quinine and quinidine for decades.  I gave it up a year or so ago because I could no longer handle the side effects*.  Not to mention the cost, even with Medicare.  But tonic water, no thank you.  The only good thing about quinine is it glows in UV light.  The taste is vile.  Besides, in the US at least, I've read that the dose in quinine water is regulated to be below the threshold of having a medical effect.  I'd rather eat soap.

*euphemism for diarrhea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Besides, in the US at least, I've read that the dose in quinine water is regulated to be below the threshold of having a medical effect. 

Yes I do know this but I’ve always had so much more faith in John Milton tan in the FDA or whoever made that determination. 

“ The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.”

Which I have always taken to mean that what we believe becomes so.  So copper bracelets for arthritis, a bar of soap in bed for leg cramps,  magnets for just about everything else.

And if all those things fail then a double scotch (or a couple of mai tais) will usually do the trick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I am one of those people that loves the straight tonic water as my designated driver drink (when I drew the short straw).  I have drank a lot of naked tonic water over the years, Canada Dry, Schweppe's, Faygo, supermarket brands, or whatever dreck out of the bar gun....etc.  They started changing the flavor and getting so sweet it was hard to call it tonic and not just HFCS club soda. 

Within the last few years I have discovered Fever Tree (Mediterranean is my choice); I find that the quinine to sweetness (much less) ratio is the best in this brand.  It was the devil to find for a while, but recently has become easier to find (thank you Amazon) at a not so premium price.  I believe its still a UK based operation, with many additional flavors of tonic on board.   Since G&T was the drink of the Realm, I like the T of the UK the best.

added note, I have yet to suffer leg cramps, so maybe its working..................

Edited by lemniscate
spelling (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

So Kerry announced in no uncertain terms that said she had had chicken for dinner yesterday evening and chicken for lunch today so there was no way on gods’ (any of them) green earth that she was having chicken for dinner tonight.  So there are three strip loins swimming in the sous vide at 54.5°C for about an hour.  One will be for another meal.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yes I do know this but I’ve always had so much more faith in John Milton tan in the FDA or whoever made that determination. 

“ The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.”

Which I have always taken to mean that what we believe becomes so.  So copper bracelets for arthritis, a bar of soap in bed for leg cramps,  magnets for just about everything else.

And if all those things fail then a double scotch (or a couple of mai tais) will usually do the trick.

"And malt does more than Milton can to justify God's ways to man."  Alfred Edward Housman

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

IMG_5758.thumb.jpg.3010e1138141aece8a1d2aaaacee6efc.jpg

Back to normal! Actually a lot less bottles than last year - we did trim some.

IMG_5759.thumb.jpg.e40934345ca0aaa315e9755494837c3f.jpg

So at 2 minutes after 6 today - the Eeyore's Requiem was served!

'IMG_5763.thumb.jpg.6f348012374d0ace67c77109fbb2bcaf.jpg\\

The BGE was at 600º F when I put the steaks on.

IMG_5764.thumb.jpg.e034889d6c9c9a332250687431c1e9db.jpg

They were done very quickly!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5758.thumb.jpg.3010e1138141aece8a1d2aaaacee6efc.jpg

Back to normal! Actually a lot less bottles than last year - we did trim some.

IMG_5759.thumb.jpg.e40934345ca0aaa315e9755494837c3f.jpg

So at 2 minutes after 6 today - the Eeyore's Requiem was served!

'IMG_5763.thumb.jpg.6f348012374d0ace67c77109fbb2bcaf.jpg\\

The BGE was at 600º F when I put the steaks on.

IMG_5764.thumb.jpg.e034889d6c9c9a332250687431c1e9db.jpg

They were done very quickly!

I was speaking to a nurse this afternoon who suggested I might want to get myself to the emergency room.  How long a drive to Manitoulin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

From Princeton - let's see - somewhere between 12 hours and 39 minutes and 13 hours and 20 minutes depending on the route you take.

I'll be back in there by the time you arrive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

From Princeton - let's see - somewhere between 12 hours and 39 minutes and 13 hours and 20 minutes depending on the route you take.

I'll be back in there by the time you arrive!

But @JoNorvelleWalker—Are you sure you want to see an emergency room Doctor Who poses as a garden gnome and is pretty high right now on an Eeyore’s Requiem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A1E92A27-D8D8-4671-8223-DC78CB95A95D.thumb.jpeg.db9e96f75bd8767514dbf9af113a306d.jpeg

The salad before service. 

264797DE-1F67-4D47-B1EB-D592FFDED089.thumb.jpeg.e13f557ace2b77b175e8f9bf66578d05.jpeg

On the plate. 

First time really using the new kitchen and let me tell you there is something to be said for the work triangle — the one we don’t have here! Both of us are doing circles expecting to find the sink only it’s not where it should be.   

I have not used a gas range since I was knee-high to a corgi. I was expecting incredible things. This is a Frigidaire gas range. Let me tell you if they had decided to use it to burn Joan of Arc she would’ve barely got a sunburn and that would’ve taken a couple of hours.  How I miss my induction range.

But dinner was good. The steak was just incredible.  And the cocktail didn’t hurt a bit. 

And to make my evening complete when I went into my room for something or other I found my brand new eye glasses that a kitten had hidden in my fanny pack!

• Like 9
  • Haha 12

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

First time really using the new kitchen and let me tell you there is something to be said for the work triangle — the one we don’t have here! Both of us are doing circles expecting to find the sink only it’s not where it should be.   

And to make my evening complete when I went into my room for something or other I found my brand new eye glasses that a kitten had hidden in my fanny pack!

I rescind my earlier “nice kitchen” comment. I was seeing, and lusting after, all the counter space on the side where the sink should be. 

Damned sneaky kitten hooligans....🤣

Edited by DesertTinker (log)
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was speaking to a nurse this afternoon who suggested I might want to get myself to the emergency room.  How long a drive to Manitoulin?

All joking aside, I am hoping that you are OK this morning.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5FE631C3-FBD6-4671-8C22-6C9E7C48F4CA.thumb.jpeg.85f2e0b3db2988aba963d621b464ec52.jpeg

I woke up to a gorgeous morning in Northeastern Manitoulin. It is 14°C with the high forecast for 21° and sunny all day long.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

If it belonged to either one of us we would happily ship it to you in exchange for a  recliner  (the one from the old unit seems to have disappeared) or if you’re really desperate Kerry said she’d accept a dough sheeter in exchange.😂

I have a better idea: you put the dough under the chair, I roll it while oscillating peacefully.

Teo

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Teo

98D7ACD5-46A8-4F43-A7F7-811DA39E5CF5.thumb.jpeg.22f3482537b822a0e229f7cf6943ebc6.jpeg

Another blue cheese that made its way across the border (and paid the price)☹️

97550B9B-35C5-4600-A3DF-D9D0452ABE74.thumb.jpeg.d8d2c3a09be6cbf3ac0895f5fbec244c.jpeg

But it was delicious on rye toast.  Grapes and cherries on the side. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog