• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added last paragraph

Thanks to this topic, starting here and continuing until Anna's succumbing here, I decided I simply had to see Milk Street Tuesday Nights for myself. Kudos to @MelissaH and @JoNorvelleWalker for reminding me of libraries, and kudos to our library for being willing to place holds. I picked it up last night. It's a beautiful book. Not only is the cover appealing...

20190718_100736.jpg

but so is the layout, and so are the recipes.

20190718_101258.jpg

I am a sucker for good food photography and I like the book layout with a picture on one page and the recipe on the other. As others have noted earlier, this book doesn't have the "very best" hyperbole of CK's earlier venture - well, not as much hyperbole, anyway - and the recipes look like I could spend a happy year cooking my way through this book alone. That isn't the way I go, of course, being a cookbook dilettante who flits from one book to the next like a drunken bee, but I think I'll end up buying this one...cheap, used, whatever.

Unfortunately i won't be able to do more than admire it until Sunday, the first opportunity I'll have to cook. The story is the same with the Cuisinart CSO 300N Steam Convection oven I picked up from Amazon, due to arrive today. What a lot of enablers I've fallen among!

Edited to add: when I looked this book up on Amazon to make a link, what did I see but Dorie Greenspan's Everyday Dorie: The Way I Cook...the other book Anna mentioned dithering over in the original discussion. Sheesh. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.

Smithy

Smithy

Thanks to this topic, starting here and continuing until Anna's succumbing here, I decided I simply had to see Milk Street Tuesdays for myself. Kudos to @MelissaH and @JoNorvelleWalker for reminding me of libraries, and kudos to our library for being willing to place holds. I picked it up last night. It's a beautiful book. Not only is the cover appealing...

20190718_100736.jpg

but so is the layout, and so are the recipes.

20190718_101258.jpg

I am a sucker for good food photography and I like the book layout with a picture on one page and the recipe on the other. As others have noted earlier, this book doesn't have the "very best" hyperbole of CK's earlier venture - well, not as much hyperbole, anyway - and the recipes look like I could spend a happy year cooking my way through this book alone. That isn't the way I go, of course, being a cookbook dilettante who flits from one book to the next like a drunken bee, but I think I'll end up buying this one...cheap, used, whatever.

Unfortunately i won't be able to do more than admire it until Sunday, the first opportunity I'll have to cook. The story is the same with the Cuisinart CSO 300N Steam Convection oven I picked up from Amazon, due to arrive today. What a lot of enablers I've fallen among!