• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'd like to see what you call sausage salad!    

I didn’t choose the name. It was chosen perhaps by the recipe owner, JENNIFER MCLAGAN.  She is the author of Fat, Bones, and Bitter, among other books and has won many awards.  Or the choice may have been made by the editor of the magazine. Whatever you call it, it is quite delicious.  The photograph that accompanies the original recipe also shows an abundance of sausage. Incidentally if you read the headnote to recipe you will note that it can be made without the sausage. Perhaps, then, the sausage was an afterthought!

I think most of us have in our back pocket one or perhaps 100 recipes that opened our eyes to new flavours or new flavour combinations.   This was one of mine.  What say you one and all — any recipes that stand out above all the others for their revelatory nature?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What was most revelatory about this dinner was the combination of Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb and Silky Braised Chard With Cilantro (former by Emeril Lagasse and latter by Deborah Madison) here (click). I changed Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb by reducing amount of wine and adding the rhubarb with only 5 minutes to go, so it didn't get mushy.

Added: No authorized link for Deborah Madison but one can find the recipe hunting around.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

What was most revelatory about this dinner was the combination of Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb and Silky Braised Chard With Cilantro (former by Emeril Lagasse and latter by Deborah Madison) here (click). I changed Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb by reducing amount of wine and adding the rhubarb with only 5 minutes to go, so it didn't get mushy.

Added: No authorized link for Deborah Madison but one can find the recipe hunting around.

I am always intrigued by the notion of rhubarb and savoury dishes. But every year I get just enough rhubarb to make a crisp or crumble,  never enough to play around with in other ways. Maybe next year.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

any recipes that stand out above all the others for their revelatory nature?

One for me is Pork with Red Curry Braised Watermelon from Deep Run Roots .  The watermelon turns into something so different after the braise.  You'd liken it to tomatoes.....amazing stuff.  I can't wait for a melon to grow so I can make this again.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

any recipes that stand out above all the others for their revelatory nature?

This might not count as a recipe but the first time I tasted pesto was also the first time I made it, ages and ages ago, and I was blown away. I remember walking back from the Santa Monica farmers market with huge bunches of basil and excitedly following the recipe. I used a crusty piece of bread to wipe up every last bit from the blender and thought I'd gone to heaven even before it made its way onto pasta. Not sure any subsequent batch has been as good!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Civil Disobedience

Apparently Kerry cannot be disobedient because I am now trying to finish her cocktail.  It’s a dirty job but when you have a best friend it’s what you do.  She has moved onto a Brothers Perryman.   Here’s hoping she can pour me into my bed later.

• Haha 11

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think most of us have in our back pocket one or perhaps 100 recipes that opened our eyes to new flavours or new flavour combinations.   This was one of mine.  What say you one and all — any recipes that stand out above all the others for their revelatory nature?

I think for me it was @Kim Shook's recipe reposted from another eGulleter ( @caroled, maybe) for shrimp with corn and tarragon. I make two or three times a summer. As Kim said, the whole is MUCH greater than the sum of the parts.

The other is carbonnades a la flamenco, and the lovely, silky sauce it creates.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I went out at dusk for a bit longer than usual - got so many photos that I had trouble paring it down to a few to show you. 

IMG_6233.thumb.jpg.7ed9b56c385c524ca101b4a4ffed570d.jpg

IMG_6234.thumb.jpg.ee57f76c2d2ea79526cf0bbfd8bda690.jpg

IMG_6246.thumb.jpg.f0cb1144bd7a5b44be50bfc5eb2af851.jpg

IMG_6250.thumb.jpg.c0b05ff6164888f06fe987f15b1f15e0.jpg

Loved listening to these kids splashing and playing. 

IMG_6262.thumb.jpg.117d9ef4750d8586a2ddbf08936ec10b.jpg

IMG_6270.thumb.jpg.636c917a95be926a9daeea0cb1fd9219.jpg

Spider Bay marina after dark - one rather determined dog barking non stop. Bullfrogs croaking in the background. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

95AB5156-7723-4914-AC73-7AF2AA1322C4.thumb.jpeg.e47897a056426d727a9a6df098dd2374.jpeg

We are surely loved up here. Look what one of our favourite nurses picked for us.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ooh, ooh! I can't wait to see what you do with those! I had redcurrant jelly one time, when I visited a friend who lives up in that area. Wonderful stuff. She offered to send some home with me, but I was afraid it would get confiscated at the border. Now I'm sorry I didn't at least try!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Ooh, ooh! I can't wait to see what you do with those! I had redcurrant jelly one time, when I visited a friend who lives up in that area. Wonderful stuff. She offered to send some home with me, but I was afraid it would get confiscated at the border. Now I'm sorry I didn't at least try!

They're hardy and very low-maintenance once established, so you could certainly have some of your own with minimal effort.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

After Kerry finished rounds this morning we were footloose and fancy free so headed off to Mindemoya.   We did wonder through our favourite hardware store but escaped without spending a penny. Then we headed off to the grocery store where we did not get off quite so lightly. 

We spotted this

0411DA42-B88C-4FB4-95F7-F83925D5A015.thumb.jpeg.39c39b2ec68051e13913d51300e5b7ba.jpeg

and at first we just walked away from it. But then Kerry said, “Shouldn’t we take one for the team?”  

And so

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc855F4859-5B6B-413E-BE4B-BD71E8516647.thumb.jpeg.9918ef42d9f8bb0a25120abd1f88fc71.jpeg

These are some of the other groceries we bought. 

AA8BE938-5FFD-46C9-991F-79246444A68A.thumb.jpeg.f022602800315c6cdc923ca299b5b509.jpeg

The two apples are ones that I have never tried before. One is a Jazz and the other is an Envy.  I know they have been talked about elsewhere on the board recently.

2B699477-23ED-4855-9266-B7BCBCED2E33.thumb.jpeg.832f4be8b43d03496e60d0ba3c58614d.jpeg

Lots and lots of butter for lots and lots of baking.

After grocery shopping we wanted an ice cream but the damned ice cream parlour in Mindemoya was closed. There was another ice cream parlour on the way out of town once we saw it was offering Chapman’s ice cream we opted to wait until we were back in town. 

A496831F-DF8E-4C90-96BC-C3AB7C67F992.thumb.jpeg.7653585a9896aae53583b02ef904c6b1.jpeg

Pralines N Cream for Kerry. 

49E9111B-CECE-4AA8-BD55-5B88824344D8.thumb.jpeg.fb9953b21d3131236b4be0683c4e6a12.jpeg

Butter pecan for me. Both in Belgian waffle cones.

Edited by Anna N
To correct the spelling of Mindemoya. (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, JeanneCake said:

I'd say to go for summer pudding!

One of the first thoughts that came to my mind but it’s not very practical to take into the emergency department or the clinics. 

My 2004 eG Blog

BD383044-D176-486F-9979-0E4BDBFFE82D.thumb.jpeg.7b4e97df6afe7a607de1dde5c9603c6d.jpeg

6B7809ED-94BF-4DEB-8135-831A402D2698.thumb.jpeg.57b9abf8220125ff65e737fff13507fc.jpeg

On the way to Kira’s dinner. A grilled cheese sandwich made on the Control Freak. Both sides perfectly browned and the cheese melty inside (130°C).  If we were better scientists we might even be able to tell you how long it took.

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

After Kerry finished rounds this morning we were footloose and fancy free so headed off to Mindemoya.   We did wonder through our favourite hardware store but escaped without spending a penny. Then we headed off to the grocery store where we did not get off quite so lightly. 

We spotted this

0411DA42-B88C-4FB4-95F7-F83925D5A015.thumb.jpeg.39c39b2ec68051e13913d51300e5b7ba.jpeg

and at first we just walked away from it. But then Kerry said, “Shouldn’t we take one for the team?”  

And so

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc855F4859-5B6B-413E-BE4B-BD71E8516647.thumb.jpeg.9918ef42d9f8bb0a25120abd1f88fc71.jpeg

These are some of the other groceries we bought. 

AA8BE938-5FFD-46C9-991F-79246444A68A.thumb.jpeg.f022602800315c6cdc923ca299b5b509.jpeg

The two apples are ones that I have never tried before. One is a Jazz and the other is an Envy.  I know they have been talked about elsewhere on the board recently.

2B699477-23ED-4855-9266-B7BCBCED2E33.thumb.jpeg.832f4be8b43d03496e60d0ba3c58614d.jpeg

Lots and lots of butter for lots and lots of baking.

After grocery shopping we wanted an ice cream but the damned ice cream parlour in Mindemoyer was closed. There was another ice cream parlour on the way out of town once we saw it was offering Chapman’s ice cream we opted to wait until we were back in town. 

A496831F-DF8E-4C90-96BC-C3AB7C67F992.thumb.jpeg.7653585a9896aae53583b02ef904c6b1.jpeg

Pralines N Cream for Kerry. 

49E9111B-CECE-4AA8-BD55-5B88824344D8.thumb.jpeg.fb9953b21d3131236b4be0683c4e6a12.jpeg

Butter pecan for me. Both in Belgian waffle cones.

Chapman’s ice cream?

Can't wait to hear about the naan!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Chapman’s ice cream?

Can't wait to hear about the naan!

This is Farqhuar's ice cream. Chapmans is perfectly good grocery store ice cream - lots of overrun - but not my ideal parlour ice cream. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is Farqhuar's ice cream. Chapmans is perfectly good grocery store ice cream - lots of overrun - but not my ideal parlour ice cream. 

In my neck of the woods, alas, Chapman's is the better option. A lot of local venues have switched to Nestle, which is just awful.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

In my neck of the woods, alas, Chapman's is the better option. A lot of local venues have switched to Nestle, which is just awful.

Nestle is horrible. (scandal after scandal) Chapman's is a very good option out here on the West coast too.

p.s I'm sure there are better ice creams at a higher price point. 

Edited by demiglace
clarifying. (log)

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

@andiesenji is the one who turned me onto Envy apples. Superb crispness and sweetness. Let us know what you think.

And how was the Naan?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 minutes ago, Toliver said:

@andiesenji is the one who turned me onto Envy apples. Superb crispness and sweetness. Let us know what you think.

And how was the Naan?

Naan can is in the fridge - awaiting time to play with it.

• Like 2