• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — Life on the level

Anna N

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the only thing I could find that might jog your memory :

"" This would also be lovely to cook desserts with, in a tart like this crostata, brushed over a plain margherita cake or used in a jam cake. ''

from

http://www.emikodavies.com/blog/marmellata-di-limoni/

Thank you. I know that is not the recipe but it definitely offers interesting uses of this delicious marmalade.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9602EC78-19DB-4164-BB0E-179942437C70.thumb.jpeg.2c0de9a46c7d73a8654e2f5f56dc7c04.jpeg

C47AB3E5-04AC-4541-B09D-C16BFB1EC00D.thumb.jpeg.7d8db1373cc8cbfcb9b01f985783aed4.jpeg

7203EC7C-6D75-46CF-BBAD-FD220D37BA93.thumb.jpeg.cc68715e5e56ceda103c060b777877b2.jpeg

Since the Kit Kat was not going to make a very satisfactory pain au chocolat, on the off chance that I would need to buy out the store I decided I should try a bar with my early afternoon coffee.

A bit disappointing I must say. Not much coffee flavour at all and it appears they have put a layer of ganache over the biscuits and the biscuits are not as crunchy as in the original bar.  The chocolate they have used is pretty sad too, of course.  But nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.  Don’t see them making a big splash on the candy scene.

Edited by Anna N
Too, too many typos (log)
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5964.thumb.jpg.0c66f4161d7b9d3188ead0fb446da86a.jpg

Grilled chicken club sub - too windy to be fooling around turning it over for the beauty shot.

Dogs in Wiki have a good life - there were at least 4 in this family - they came down for a swim and to check out some visiting dogs that were swimming.

IMG_5966.thumb.jpg.31cd79669b7b181731cc2244df66e702.jpg

IMG_5967.thumb.jpg.bffe4c6bf38f04815da3d4ac2e15de18.jpg

IMG_5969.thumb.jpg.f75683d904d41e8db82c4c2302c1ecf6.jpg

Very windy on the spit - even the flowers were getting blown around.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

What the heck is a "Meatbar"?????

Kind of like jerky. These ones sadly turned out to have a bunch of seeds and cranberries in them - the plain ones I have had before I much preferred. 

• Thanks 1

Dipped some of the popped corn cakes and the key lime twizzlers for work today

77ECAFA4-C8B8-492C-BE4E-08974FBF0154.thumb.jpeg.4ab5f0cd7f05893e32c1d881132c4bbe.jpeg

I had added a little lime oil to the white chocolate so made a few skinny bars with the remains  

B661AD80-F13B-4162-832E-24DB63C32827.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Just now, TicTac said:

Looking good - minus those ghastly alien looking green sticks....your fantastically tempered chocolate is screaming in horror!

But they actually taste better than the way too bland corn thingies! Next corn thingies will get crushed, added to chocolate for a bark and a ton of salt added in there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A8A85112-72A2-419B-AFCD-40641EA37E95.thumb.jpeg.84c7859d8b9da9b95aff0da686fd9f82.jpeg

My second breakfast. Had a slice of toast with Sicilian lemon marmalade shortly after I woke up.  Fig and olive Raincoast Crisps, smoky blue cheese and some grapes. At just one dollar a package, the crisps were quite a bargain.

I am moving in very slow motion this morning and I have not apparently engaged my brain just yet since I managed to cut two fingers while preparing my breakfast. I was using a very sharp knife so these are little more than deep paper cuts and required nothing more than a Band-Aid.  But they are annoying!  .

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

A8A85112-72A2-419B-AFCD-40641EA37E95.thumb.jpeg.84c7859d8b9da9b95aff0da686fd9f82.jpeg

My second breakfast. Had a slice of toast with Sicilian lemon marmalade shortly after I woke up.  Fig and olive Raincoast Crisps, smoky blue cheese and some grapes. At just one dollar a package, the crisps were quite a bargain.

I am moving in very slow motion this morning and I have not apparently engaged my brain just yet since I managed to cut two fingers while preparing my breakfast. I was using a very sharp knife so these are little more than deep paper cuts and required nothing more than a Band-Aid.  But they are annoying!  .

I wish I could "like" and "sad face" at the same time!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I wish I could "like" and "sad face" at the same time!

😂

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/11/2019 at 4:23 PM, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5961.thumb.jpg.f0b989933e39c84cd7e323d61aa0277f.jpg

IMG_5962.thumb.jpg.97f0ebe64cca77afd3b760f421b2a336.jpg

The cookies I took today. They went down well but I was not impressed myself.

I've made these, too! Mine were flat as well, but I liked them. Perhaps the additional hazelnut oil I added helped.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Wait.  What?  Free room?  

Man, around here they only get discounted lol.

You beat me to it!!!  Where is this magical free room? Around here, we don't even get discounted!

Also, @Kerry Beal what did you think of the Robuchon fries? How do you think they compare with other methods?  The best fries I've ever had were ones I made using Dave Arnold's method on Cooking Issues many years ago... granted, it took practically all day and required stuff like Pectinex to degrade the surface pectin, but they were awesome... perfectly fluffy on the inside, and super crisp on the outside, even once cold they stayed crisp!

• Like 1

RE Whisky Smash

I've been playing a game since I found this year's Manitoulin Thread. A while ago I bought an on-sale Kindle bar recipes book and I've tried looking up the recipe for each cocktail you post about. So far I've only found the Amaretto Sour. I'll have to buy a better book.

I do look up recipes on-line occasionally. I still need to go to a proper bar to try the Brothers Perryman.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;