• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 6/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, suzilightning said:

Please note the box.....

C47CD494-51DC-4510-8EB8-540A7CBEB6D5.thumb.jpeg.7226d58f4de608e5e93b03dbeb732ecd.jpeg

I actually got a few baskets of Hammonton blueberries this week - first (for me) of the season - they're the best.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, Anna N said:

Yep. Tonic water with quinine.  Whether it actually works or whether it is only in my head, I find I have fewer night time leg cramps if I have a drink of tonic water on a daily basis (even fewer if I add enough gin to the tonic water). Probably more psychological than anything (or perhaps just better hydration) but I say if it works for you go for it.  My sister swears by a bar of soap in her bed as a “cure” for leg cramps. If you believe it works and you believe you have fewer cramps as a result....   so long as these remedies are not harmful I don’t see any reason to change. 

Jane Brody's NY Times' article a few weeks ago (I, too, unfortunately suffer occasional leg cramps - they suck!):

Getting a Good Night’s Sleep Without Drugs

More recently, my middle-of-the-night leg cramps have been nearly entirely eliminated by consuming eight ounces of quinine-containing tonic water (actually, diet tonic) every night before bed.

If you can’t handle that amount of liquid close to bedtime, drink it earlier in the evening or perhaps try an herbal remedy that I use when traveling: Hyland’s Leg Cramps, which contains quinine as one of its active ingredients.

weinoo

weinoo

On 6/29/2019 at 12:49 PM, suzilightning said:

Please note the box.....

C47CD494-51DC-4510-8EB8-540A7CBEB6D5.thumb.jpeg.7226d58f4de608e5e93b03dbeb732ecd.jpeg

I actually got a few baskets of Hammonton blueberries this week - first (for me) of the season - they're the best.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, Anna N said:

Yep. Tonic water with quinine.  Whether it actually works or whether it is only in my head, I find I have fewer night time leg cramps if I have a drink of tonic water on a daily basis (even fewer if I add enough gin to the tonic water). Probably more psychological than anything (or perhaps just better hydration) but I say if it works for you go for it.  My sister swears by a bar of soap in her bed as a “cure” for leg cramps. If you believe it works and you believe you have fewer cramps as a result....   so long as these remedies are not harmful I don’t see any reason to change. 

Jane Brody's NY Times' article a few weeks ago )I, too, unfortunately suffer occasional leg cramps - they suck!):

Getting a Good Night’s Sleep Without Drugs

More recently, my middle-of-the-night leg cramps have been nearly entirely eliminated by consuming eight ounces of quinine-containing tonic water (actually, diet tonic) every night before bed.

If you can’t handle that amount of liquid close to bedtime, drink it earlier in the evening or perhaps try an herbal remedy that I use when traveling: Hyland’s Leg Cramps, which contains quinine as one of its active ingredients.