• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I think this is a stupid "rule". Am I right or wrong?

Kim Shook

On 6/25/2019 at 8:28 PM, TdeV said:

Here in central Illinois, packaged mushrooms are stuck full of mud. My farmers' market mushroom guy has clean mushrooms though.

packaged mushrooms are always spotted with compost.  I wash then dry with a paper towel.  They don’t appear to absorb much water.   They give up lots of water when cooked no matter if you wash or don’t  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not to be taken littorally.

😂

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd be interested to learn who first came up with the idea.  Probably someone living far from open water.  Different seas have different degrees of salinity.*  The Mediterranean Sea is 38 g/kg.  The Baltic Sea is 10 g/kg.  The Dead Sea is 337 g/kg.  The rule is stupid.  Not to be taken littorally.

It simply means salt your pasta water.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bodies_of_water_by_salinity

I've been in the dead sea. My friend accidentally swallowed some water while floating around. It was pretty funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm turning in my amateur etymologist card.  I can't believe I missed that!  LOL

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. With @JoNorvelleWalker you need two hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road all the time. I missed the one on the lunch thread with respect to duck soup. I thought her use of “marx” had to do with Communist China and I couldn’t quite make it all fit. Wrong marx!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. With @JoNorvelleWalker you need two hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road all the time. I missed the one on the lunch thread with respect to duck soup. I thought her use of “marx” had to do with Communist China and I couldn’t quite make it all fit. Wrong marx!

Ok, well, I got that one because I love old movies.  She bears watching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3