• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

2 hours ago, Merry Berry said:

What is her reasoning for leaving it out, exactly?  I am with you that trying to handle room temperature dough is ugh.

I don't know, soft dough is easier in terms of strength requirements - rolling cold dough is a workout.  She leaves butter and frosting (American buttercream, I think) out overnight, too.  I'm secretly hoping one day the butter will fully melt and drip all over.  Maybe in July, it hasn't gotten much above 80f in there yet.  Personally, I keep my butter cold, if I need to cream it I'll cut it into pieces and by the time I've mised everything else out it's soft enough.  If not I torch the bowl as it's beating.  I'll let shortbread warm up a bit  so it shatters less but I still want it cold enough to hold its shape.  Doesn't almost every pastry dough recipe say to chill before rolling?  Oh well, there's more than one way to bake a cookie.

Dough does go bad eventually, gets funky or cheesy after too long but I guess you all are right that it's not really that hazardous and baking will sterilize it anyway.  As long as she pays her rent, I won't report her to the authorities 😂

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, Merry Berry said:

What is her reasoning for leaving it out, exactly?  I am with you that trying to handle room temperature dough is ugh.

I don't know, soft dough is easier in terms of strength requirements - rolling cold dough is a workout.  She leaves butter and frosting (American buttercream, I think) out overnight, too.  I'm secretly hoping one day the butter will fully melt and drip all over.  Maybe in July, it hasn't gotten much above 80f in there yet.  Personally, I keep my butter cold, if I need to cream it I'll cut it into pieces and by the time I've mised everything else out it's soft enough.  If not I torch the bowl as it's beating.  I'll let shortbread warm up a bit  so it shatters less but I still want it cold enough to hold its shape.  Doesn't almost every pastry dough recipe say to chill before rolling?  Oh well, there's more than one way to bake a cookie.

I guess you all are right that it's not really that hazardous and baking will sterilize it anyway.  As long as she pays her rent, I won't report her to the authorities 😂