• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best tool for making swirl design

eglies

A small foam brush from a art supply/hobby store.  Trimmed to the size of the cavities in your mold.....the ones I use have a handle on them, no Dremel needed.  I just spin the brush in the mold/cavity by hand.   Quick, easy and painless

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:06 AM, RobertM said:

A small foam brush from a art supply/hobby store.  Trimmed to the size of the cavities in your mold.....the ones I use have a handle on them, no Dremel needed.  I just spin the brush in the mold/cavity by hand.   Quick, easy and painless

Bob beat me to mentioning such sponges. Here is a link to sponges available on Amazon (it's U.S. Amazon, but they should be available in other countries as well). This is what was used in Andrey Dubovik's online course: spin one or two colors in a mold, then airbrush another color as background. The effect with a sponge is not as uniform as the Dremel will provide.

• Like 1