• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

2 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I followed the instructions in that reddit post a year or so ago because I had the ingredients on hand and didn't want to wait for delivery.  It works.  I did most of the boiling on the stove, then transferred to a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven and let it finish baking in there (larger surface area).  I wasn't sure how the boiling down would work in the pot, whether it would scorch or damage it which explains the oven.  I'm not sure if parchment is water proof and could be some chance of a reaction with the aluminum sheet pan and left over citric acid if measurements are right.  You end up with crystals and powder.

You don't have to do all of that evaporation if you're going  to use it in a liquid application. Just use the sodium citrate solution as part of the liquid called for in the recipe.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

2 hours ago, jedovaty said:

I followed the instructions in that reddit post a year or so ago because I had the ingredients on hand and didn't want to wait for delivery.  It works.  I did most of the boiling on the stove, then transferred to a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven and let it finish baking in there (larger surface area).  I wasn't sure how the boiling down would work in the pot, whether it would scorch or damage it which explains the oven.  I'm not sure if parchment is water proof and could be some chance of a reaction with the aluminum sheet pan and left over citric acid if measurements are right.  You end up with crystals and powder.

You don't gave to do all of that evaporation if you're going  to use it in a liquid application. Just use the sodium citrate solution as part of the liquid called for in the recipe.