• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The butter tart finally gets its day the limelight

Anna N

An opportunity to celebrate that most Canadian of treats —— the butter tart.

Butter tart festival.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We have a Butter Tart festival in Peterborough.  But there you have it.  I don't like butter tarts...too sweet.  Perhaps I am only a fake Canadian.  Ed used to like them...doesn't any more...all that 70% Belgian dark chocolate will corrupt the true Canadian taste buds.   Ed's Mother was French Canadian and like her entire family, had none of her original teeth by 40.  Ed still has his teeth...well, most of them anyway.   What can I tell you?  We don't attend the local Butter Tart Festival. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'd be there in a New York Minute.  I love butter tarts, but if there are raisins in them, no more than 3 raisins per tart.  I prefer them with nuts.  I have found a very good  brand called Rachel's which are sold in the Metro stores.  Not only is the filling good, but so is the pastry - tender and flakey.

• Like 3

They *are* sweet, unquestionably, so for me it all comes down to the ratio of crust to filling (I like a little more crust than most, and more raisins). That being said, a cup of strong coffee will correct for any excess of sweetness.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

I remember butter tarts!

Does anyone here make them? Have recipe?

I like to make @Marlene‘s Butter tart squares which are in the recipe archive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I like to make @Marlene‘s Butter tart squares which are in the recipe archive.

Click here for a link to that recipe.

I went looking for the recipe, thinking that butter tarts were the Canadian answer to pecan pies. I think I was mistaken.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

I went looking for the recipe, thinking that butter tarts were the Canadian answer to pecan pies. I think I was mistaken

Thank you for providing that link. I was just too tired last night.  

Except for being overly sweet, I don’t think that butter tarts and pecan pies have a great deal in common. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Has anyone experimented with "less sweet" butter tarts? Opinions?

It is what it is. I’m sure there are ways of reducing rhe sweetness and you’d probably have a delightful treat but it wouldn’t be a butter tart. That would be my two cent’s worth if we Canadians still had cents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

An update on butter tarts here

Hmmm. Might be great tarts but only one might possibly be a buttertart. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. Might be great tarts but only one might possibly be a buttertart. 

I'm not a purist, I'll still call it a butter tart even without the raisins. :P

The others, well...they're fun variations. I don't consider it a butter tart exactly under those circumstances, but my daughter loved rhubarb in hers (and I obliged her) so who am I to cast stones?

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning