• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello forum , New here :)

Cooker

I have never cooked anything myself before .

But i want to start learning this art because i am moving away from home soon to work , And i have to cook for myself .

The best thing i can think of is buying some books as soon as possible .

Thanks

• Like 3

Thanks ,

I found this forum when i searched for a cooking forum

A better idea would to be wake up in the morning and start helping my wife in cooking .

I am from India

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cooker said:

Thanks ,

I found this forum when i searched for a cooking forum

A better idea would to be wake up in the morning and start helping my wife in cooking .

I am from India

What are you wanting to cook?  Regional Indian foods or international?  There is a lot of information here, and probably people who can help no matter what your cooking interest.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am mostly trying to learn Indian cooking .

I want to start from simple Indian foods that people here usually cook for breakfast , lunch and dinner

I have not even prepared tea for myself , my cooking skills are a bit pathetic

My mom and my wife used to do it for me all the time .

Now i have to move to some other place to work , so cooking for myself becomes a necessity

1 hour ago, Cooker said:

I am mostly trying to learn Indian cooking .

I want to start from simple Indian foods that people here usually cook for breakfast , lunch and dinner

I have not even prepared tea for myself , my cooking skills are a bit pathetic

My mom and my wife used to do it for me all the time .

Now i have to move to some other place to work , so cooking for myself becomes a necessity

Look in the India cooking forum:

https://forums.egullet.org/forum/324-india-cooking-amp-baking/

I hope you find your cooking adventure enjoyable and that you will reach out beyond your comfort foods.  The dinner thread has all sorts of cookery, including Indian:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157787-dinner-2019/

I am fortunate to live in a town in the US with a wide range of cultures and cuisines.  Our current mayor (the head of government) is Indian.  A former mayor was Chinese.

One of my projects is to figure out how to make dosa.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks everyone for the reply .

I am starting the learning process from tomorrow morning itself .

I have decided to help my wife from the morning , that way its easier to learn .

Thanks .

• Like 1

Cooker, it looks like you have some good help offered!  We will all be cheering you on. Please feel free to ask questions and document how you're coming along with your new skills, as you have time. If you make some frightful mistakes, you can laugh at yourself and get commiseration or laughter from others in the I will never again...(Part 4) topic. We have all made wild mistakes at some time or other, and that topic is good for helping us laugh at ourselves! :D 

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown