• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello world!

Nn, M.D.

Hi all, it's great to meet you.  I have been baking for several years, cooking for a few more, and I have loved learning about different world cultures and cuisines through the process.  I've sort of realized that my interest has surpassed "casual participant" and is now in full-on "nerd", which I don't mind at all.  I self-identify as a baker, and I love making cakes especially.  Cakes are special because the sum is greater than the parts combined: you take a bunch of components, sandwich them together, and present layers of complexity and diversity in texture.  So don't be surprised if most of my questions center around that arena :) However, I love cooking as well, and hope to learn more about other methods of preparation (grilling, smoking, dehydrating, etc) to become more well-rounded.

P.S. I am moving to Philadelphia very soon and would love to bake with anyone who is around!

IMG_3258.thumb.jpeg.db51815bd6f4b67efe9d90c62d6cfbfa.jpeg

Pecan and orange frangipane tart topped w/ maple and barley malt caramel and toasted pecans

fullsizeoutput_667.thumb.jpeg.4052def32647db1427d34efaa55ea5d0.jpeg

Fenugreek genoise sponge w/ maple vanilla crème patissière, fenugreek and vanilla swiss meringue buttercream and maple honeycomb crumbles on the outside

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Welcome! It looks like you'll fit right in here. Based on your creations above, I expect you may get as many questions asked as answered.  It looks as though you also have a good grip on food photography. :) 

I you have any questions about how to use the forums, or where or whether to post a particular issue, feel free to ask a host (I am one) by PM, or ask in the Moderation and Policy Discussion forum.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

50 minutes ago, Nn, M.D. said:

I’m moving for work, so I’m very excited for all the eating I’ll get to do. I’ve been very impressed on my visits so far.

Where have you eaten?

That pecan tart is a thing of beauty. I'm also intrigued by fenegreek genoise. Welcome to the forum! And do enjoy Philadelphia; it's one of my favorite cities.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

That pecan tart is a thing of beauty. I'm also intrigued by fenegreek genoise. Welcome to the forum! And do enjoy Philadelphia; it's one of my favorite cities.

That tart was my opus magnum, forever trying to outdo that. And thanks, I’m looking forward to the transition.

I read in Art of French Pastry that many professional bakers like at least 3 textures - e.g. pie crust, custard, pecan nuts 

I always wondered if this is like a rule or guide that bakers follow? Good to know 

Welcome to eGullet!  I think you are going to fit right in!  Your desserts are lovely - I agree with @Smithy:  you are going to answer as many questions as you ask!  As far as Philly goes, I've only been once (and loved it and am hoping to come back some time), but because of friends I am familiar with Stock's Bakery.  I don't know about anything but the pound cake - I'm posting about that today - it is the best I've ever tasted, so I can recommend a trip there for you!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Welcome to eGullet!  I think you are going to fit right in!  Your desserts are lovely - I agree with @Smithy:  you are going to answer as many questions as you ask!  As far as Philly goes, I've only been once (and loved it and am hoping to come back some time), but because of friends I am familiar with Stock's Bakery.  I don't know about anything but the pound cake - I'm posting about that today - it is the best I've ever tasted, so I can recommend a trip there for you!

As a southerner I adore pound cake! So I will absolutely check it out. And thanks for the warm welcome :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eugenep said:

I read in Art of French Pastry that many professional bakers like at least 3 textures - e.g. pie crust, custard, pecan nuts 

I always wondered if this is like a rule or guide that bakers follow? Good to know 

And generally I find that to be the case. It depends, of course, on the context. For a birthday cake, usually cake + frosting is fine. But for something sort of special, I like to have some textural play. I usually go for soft + creamy + crunchy, or crumbly + gooey + crunchy. I find that doing it that way produces something that isn’t monotonous and has 4 potential texture combinations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Try Cheu, Vernick (at the bar because reservations are scarce), Zahav, Parc

Also Vedge.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer