• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Dill Pickle toppers

JeanneCake

This is a French's product that I bought today - entirely on a whim - thinking because my kid loves pickles, and dill pickle potato chips, he'd like these.  He's looking at them with a wary eye and isn't too interested in trying them just yet.  I had one; I don't really care for dill pickles and these aren't helping me change my mind.  It's crunchy, definitely a dill pickle but I'm a fan of bread and butter pickles on my hamburger so I don't think I'd be putting a dent in this bag ;)

Have you tried these? Do you like them? What are you putting them on?

• Like 1

Not necessarily 100% on topic, but a new fried pickle place is opening in our commercial strip, to be called Diller's.

It's being opened by the famed Pickle Guys of Essex Street, a spinoff of one of the numerous pickle vendor that existed for years and years on the lower east side.

So the pickles ought to be good; I look forward to tasting what toppings they'll be offering.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I succumbed to the temptation of a Costco closeout price on these several months ago.  Thrown in a skillet to brown for a few minutes, they make a slightly interesting sandwich topper.  I have yet to conjure another use for them.  

I never heard of fried pickles until I was in Atlanta several years ago, celebrating my daughter's getting her masters degree in Public Health. The entrance to the bar was a giant skull. We were there with a bunch of her friends and a few other parents. I've never though of fried pickles as toppers, but more of a meal in themselves. I had a large basket of them along with a fantastic coffee-tasting beer. We were at a large table on an upstairs open air porch. It was lovely. Public health all the way around.

My ideal would be a half sour pickle with an ethereal tempura-like batter. The fried pickles I've tried since are nothing to write home about and would sink like a stone if you tried to skip them in a pond. Good ones are scarce as hen's teeth. @weinoo let me know if the Pickle Guys come up with something enlightened and I'll note it for a destination the next time I am in NY. Every once in a while I think about making them myself, but I don't. I haven't personally deep fried anything in my life, so there's that.

• Like 1