• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cornbread

kayb

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Maybe something like a corn dog with precooked shrimp?  That'd give a better ratio of cornbread to shrimp than a muffin, I think.

Trader Joe's used to sell shrimp corn dogs in their frozen section.  Came with a sweet chile dipping sauce.  I haven't seen them in quite some time.  Tasty little buggers they were.  

• Like 1

I like the recipe above, but for the jalapeno (not a jalapeno fan). Bet it'd work well as mini-muffins.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@gfweb, that sounds like a tasty idea, too.

By the way, if anyone comes to NJ, there is a restaurant called Drew's Bayshore Bistro in Keyport. It is in a strange location, kind of a PITA to get to...but the guy has an app (which I had for my main when I went last year) called Voodoo Shrimp, he makes the shrimp in a New Orleans style BBQ sauce (ie, savory buttery sauce) and serves over jalapeno cornbread. It is legendary.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

6 hours ago, BeeZee said:

My husband got the idea that we could make cornbread muffins and stick a shrimp and piece of jalapeno in each one. I think he envisioned a whole shrimp stuck in the center. I have some cornbread mix, his birthday is coming up, so I’d like to indulge him. If I were to include shrimp in the muffins, am I better off lightly precooking them and chopping in to chunks to mix in the batter? My instincts are that raw shrimp would mess with the batter cooking properly.

I would definitely cook the shrimp first - if I were making these for Mr. Kim, I'd probably roast both the jalapenos and the shrimp and put them in the batter.  

I think it is so funny that what all the old ladies in my family did and passed down to all the cooks in my family seemingly has no point or need!  I'll try to remember to NOT rest next time I make cornbread and see if I notice any difference.  It reminds me of that old story of the three generations of women in a family, all of whom cut off the end piece of a ham before baking.  When asked why, they all answered because that was the way my mother did it.  When the great-grandmother was questioned, she said because he roasting pan was too small for the hams she got.  😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Made cornbread last night (just a box of Jiffy) and did not rest.  I bunged it into the screaming hot iron skillet as soon as I mixed it.  It might be a tad higher than when I rest it, but not a lot:

No shame in Jiffy!

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 4:33 AM, BeeZee said:

My husband got the idea that we could make cornbread muffins and stick a shrimp and piece of jalapeno in each one. I think he envisioned a whole shrimp stuck in the center. I have some cornbread mix, his birthday is coming up, so I’d like to indulge him. If I were to include shrimp in the muffins, am I better off lightly precooking them and chopping in to chunks to mix in the batter? My instincts are that raw shrimp would mess with the batter cooking properly.

Not to rain on your parade, but this doesn't sound like a very high use for shrimp. It's hard to imagine the texture of the shrimp being very good by the time the bread is cooked. If the shrimp is good quality I would simply make a shrimp cocktail to go with warm cornbread, or a spicy peel & eat shrimp in the shell. Then it's only a hop and a skip to hold the cornbread and make shrimp 'n' grits instead! Any great NJ tomatoes yet? Sauce for that is awfully yummy made with ripe fresh tomatoes. Then stick some birthday candles in a lemon ice box pie. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, BeeZee said:

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Not to rain on your parade, but this doesn't sound like a very high use for shrimp. It's hard to imagine the texture of the shrimp being very good by the time the bread is cooked. If the shrimp is good quality I would simply make a shrimp cocktail to go with warm cornbread, or a spicy peel & eat shrimp in the shell. Then it's only a hop and a skip to hold the cornbread and make shrimp 'n' grits instead! Any great NJ tomatoes yet? Sauce for that is awfully yummy made with ripe fresh tomatoes. Then stick some birthday candles in a lemon ice box pie. 

Actually, that shrimp in cornbread muffin idea sounds like it has potential. I'm thinking a madeleine pan, though, so everything can cook faster and your shrimp won't sink to the bottom. (Large madeleine.)

• Like 2

I'm more inclined to make something like a New Orleans BBQ shrimp and serve with cornbread, the more I think about it...like the restaurant dish I enjoyed. That way he can get a good helping of large shrimp and not little rubbery pieces chopped up. I was thinking of indulging his "vision" but why waste good shellfish!

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

8 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I'm more inclined to make something like a New Orleans BBQ shrimp and serve with cornbread, the more I think about it...like the restaurant dish I enjoyed. That way he can get a good helping of large shrimp and not little rubbery pieces chopped up. I was thinking of indulging his "vision" but why waste good shellfish!

I was already thinking of New Orleans BBQ shrimp so after reading this, I decided to make a batch of cornbread to compare with the crusty baguette that I'd planned to use to sop up the juices. 

IMG_2588.thumb.jpeg.85dcab7ff08b68981411c77579caede2.jpeg

Both the cornbread and shrimp recipes are from Toni Tipton-Martin's book, Jubilee

I really preferred the flavor of the cornbread with these shrimp but as a sauce-sopper, this particular cornbread is too crumbly.    

If I was craving shrimp surrounded by cornbread, then this would NOT scratch that itch and I'd much prefer a shrimp corndog. Since I was going for BBQ shrimp, I was happy.

Finally,  pardon me for using peeled shrimp...at least they still had their tails!  

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was already thinking of New Orleans BBQ shrimp so after reading this, I decided to make a batch of cornbread to compare with the crusty baguette that I'd planned to use to sop up the juices. 

IMG_2588.thumb.jpeg.85dcab7ff08b68981411c77579caede2.jpeg

Both the cornbread and shrimp recipes are from Toni Tipton-Martin's book, Jubilee

I really preferred the flavor of the cornbread with these shrimp but as a sauce-sopper, this particular cornbread is too crumbly.    

If I was craving shrimp surrounded by cornbread, then this would NOT scratch that itch and I'd much prefer a shrimp corndog. Since I was going for BBQ shrimp, I was happy.

Finally,  pardon me for using peeled shrimp...at least they still had their tails!  

We have a few of those seafood places where the food is all put in bags with seasonings and sauces and steamed.  They bring the bag to the table and you pull it open and dig in.  And they all serve some form of cornbread.  It is very good, but not for sopping, as you said.  I've threatened to bring my own baguette next time we go.  But now that we aren't eating IN restaurants for the foreseeable future, I guess I can do that at home with no sneaking.  😁

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

If you sneak in a baguette and you got caught, would the restaurant charge you "crustage" (or crumbage?)

You know like corkage, where they put a charge on for glasses you use when you bring your own wine 😁

• Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

If you sneak in a baguette and you got caught, would the restaurant charge you "crustage" (or crumbage?)

You know like corkage, where they put a charge on for glasses you use when you bring your own wine 😁

mandatory slicing fees

• Haha 3

Today on a whim (and in the interests of seeing if my yeast dated 2008 was still viable) I made no-knead broa (Portuguese corn bread) from an online recipe.  It was super easy to put together, and while it's still cooling, and may not be any good in the end, it smells amazing.

Image from iOS (2).jpg

• Like 6

On 6/11/2020 at 7:04 PM, Katie Meadow said:

this doesn't sound like a very high use for shrimp.

The ultimate high use for any food is that it be enjoyed when eaten. Besides... 🎵 I like shrimp in low places... 🎵 :P:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

The ultimate high use for any food is that it be enjoyed when eaten. Besides... 🎵 I like shrimp in low places... 🎵 :P:D

Low country cookin? ')

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I got  good smile on a crud day from  singer, songwriter, guitarist Jason Isbell today on how he would describe great cornbread to his spouse who is vegetarian: " I'll do a prose poem. That's the best way to describe cornbread. With no punctuation."

• Like 1