• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

typo

8 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I'm more inclined to make something like a New Orleans BBQ shrimp and serve with cornbread, the more I think about it...like the restaurant dish I enjoyed. That way he can get a good helping of large shrimp and not little rubbery pieces chopped up. I was thinking of indulging his "vision" but why waste good shellfish!

I was already thinking of New Orleans BBQ shrimp so after reading this, I decided to make a batch of cornbread to compare with the crusty baguette that I'd planned to use to sop up the juices. 

IMG_2588.thumb.jpeg.85dcab7ff08b68981411c77579caede2.jpeg

Both the cornbread and shrimp recipes are from Toni Tipton-Martin's book, Jubilee

I really preferred the flavor of the cornbread with these shrimp but as a sauce-sopper, this particular cornbread is too crumbly.    

If I was craving shrimp surrounded by cornbread, then this would NOT scratch that itch and I'd much prefer a shrimp corndog. Since I was going for BBQ shrimp, I was happy.

Finally,  pardon me for using peeled shrimp...at least they still had their tails!  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

7 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I'm more inclined to make something like a New Orleans BBQ shrimp and serve with cornbread, the more I think about it...like the restaurant dish I enjoyed. That way he can get a good helping of large shrimp and not little rubbery pieces chopped up. I was thinking of indulging his "vision" but why waste good shellfish!

I was already thinking of New Orleans BBQ shrimp so after reading this, I decided to make a batch of cornbread to compare with the crusty baguette that I'd planned to use to sop up the juices. 

IMG_2588.thumb.jpeg.85dcab7ff08b68981411c77579caede2.jpeg

Both the cornbread and shrimp recipes are from Toni Tipton-Martin's book, Jubilee

I really preferred the flavor of the cornbread with these shrimp but as a sauce-sopper, this particular cornbread is too crumbly.    

If I was craving was a shrimp surrounded by cornbread, then this would NOT scratch that itch and I'd much prefer a shrimp corndog. Since I was going for BBQ shrimp, I was happy.

Finally,  pardon me for using peeled shrimp...at least they still had their tails!