• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish collars...halibut and salmon.

wabi

Every year I go to Alaska to fish for a week, and end up bringing home about 100 lbs of processed fish.

This last year I brought home a bunch of salmon and halibut collars as I did not want that good meat to go to waste.

Now I am embarrassed to say that I have gone through most of last years fish, but still have these collars left.

I've poked around the interwebs for grilled or broiled fish collar recipes, but dont find a lot of them.

I was thinking a soy sauce/butter/garlic/ginger marinade and brush during cooking them, or a home made teriyaki. 

Any other thoughts or suggestions on a marinade or sauce to brush on during grilling?

For the salmon I’d recommend marinating in miso/mirin/sake. You can check for Nobu’s black cod recipes, which is a good English Ressource for that treatment. After that, simply grill or broil.

And for closure's sake...

The halibut collars were buttered and salted. Grilled, and then a homemade Ponzu sauce was used for dipping.

• Like 4

My go to for salmon is always a quick sear in butter, then sous vide @ 147F for 45 min with some butter and dill in the bag, then topped with hollandaise. I never heard of a collar, but i imagine you could prepare them simlair to what i mentioned.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with fish collars, either. Of course, my mental image was of a fish strolling down a sidewalk with a collar attached to a leash...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, MetsFan5 said:

How was it? 

They were sublime!

I'm, going to Alaska next week to fish...I'm gonna make sure I bring home all of the collars!

• Like 1

Hello- This may be OT but since you mentioned them...I have always wondered how one locates fish cheeks. I want to eat them, but I do not know how to locate them.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

On 6/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, Naftal said:

Hello- This may be OT but since you mentioned them...I have always wondered how one locates fish cheeks. I want to eat them, but I do not know how to locate them.

Unless you're on really, REALLY good terms with a local fisherman or fishmonger, you buy the fish heads and cut them off for yourself.

At least, that's how it works anywhere I've lived.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Hoping this is more tangential than thread drift, whenever I want to make a big fish soup I go to my local freestanding fishmonger and ask him to save me a halibut frame.   These he would normally throw away and he doesn't charge for them.    There is the head, collar and a LOT of usable chunks of meat to reclaim for a chowder, salads or a quick salt-down to make fresh salt-fish brandade.    

eGullet member #80.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:34 PM, chromedome said:

Unless you're on really, REALLY good terms with a local fisherman or fishmonger, you buy the fish heads and cut them off for yourself.

At least, that's how it works anywhere I've lived.

It it needs to be a decent sized fish to get a cheek out that’s big enough to want to deal with

here grouper cheeks are a common find in some fish markets.   Collars too but I see them less often