• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a better way to save, organize, and use recipes?

John Jones

Hello all! I'd like to share with you a little project I'm working on. Reciplay is an E-Ink powered recipe viewer for the kitchen. It allows you to quickly organize, view, and use your favorite recipes all from a simple device. We'll be launching a Kickstarter for it soon, so please sign up to be the first to know when we launch! And of course, I'm happy to answer questions about it! https://reciplay.kickoffpages.com/

Thanks for asking! With the app you can clip recipes from websites and also edit them to suit your tastes. We're working on an add-your-own recipe feature for the app right now, so it will be available shortly.

Hi John, 

Some cooks don't organize recipes but ratios - e.g., 

aioli = 1 yolk to 0.5 oil  

bread:  500 grams flour; 250 grams water;  0.00005 yeast 

caramel: 1/4 cup water to 1/2 cup sugar 

etc. 

Do you think the app could organize ratios too? 

A product like this might interest me if it ticked all of these boxes:

-User has 100% control of their data. Data is stored in (or can be exported to) an open standard format, like xml.

-Needs to be extremely friendly to recipes in which all ingredients are either by weight (metric) or percentage, or ratio.

-If it even indulges volume measurements, it should offer a feature to automatically convert to weights.

-Version control! Version control! Version control!

-Can't be dependent on the device. Data needs to be accessible through cloud synching and available on a laptop or phone browser. 

-There should be plenty of sharing options with people who don't have the device / service.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

Also, need TWO measurements: kingarthurflour.com , for example, allows one click to switch from US measurement to metric. The difficulty with this is that SOME things I measure in weight and some by volume. An example would be all dry stuff (flour, sugar, dry milk) by weight but chopped nuts by volume.