• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastryani

Neon cocoa butter colors

I’d like to make some chocolate-inspired-by-art for a friend who uses a lot of neon paints in his artwork.  Are neon cocoa butter colors available?  (I’m thinking yellow, pink, orange, green, blue, purple, just like highlighters we used in school). If not, is it possible to make them by mixing colors, and if so, how?

Aren't the colors that Stick with Me Sweets uses pretty much neon? Those are made by Chef Rubber. 

Look under their new cocoa butters - there are some pretty bright ones. They also make a riboflavin yellow powder.

She does use some bright colors - I’ll have to look at them next time I’m there.  How does the riboflavin powder work?

18 hours ago, pastryani said:

She does use some bright colors - I’ll have to look at them next time I’m there.  How does the riboflavin powder work?

No idea - I assume the same as any powdered color.

Riboflavin, or Vitamin B2, is one of the few natural compounds with fluorescent properties.  If you use enough of it and hit it with a black light it will fluoresce.  I've done it with hard candies before. 

Jon

• Like 5

On 6/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, DayGameCandy said:

Riboflavin, or Vitamin B2, is one of the few natural compounds with fluorescent properties.  If you use enough of it and hit it with a black light it will fluoresce.  I've done it with hard candies before. 

Jon

Thanks for the info.  Sounds pretty cool, would love to see a pic of glowing candies. 🙂