• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Had Jay called Frenchette to inquire about their corkage policy (i.e. they don't allow it), he could've saved himself the aggravation.

Don't get me started on Jay.    Talk about someone who has made a career out of pretending to know something.   

As I've said elsewhere, many very knowledgeable wine drinkers need to be able to ace a wine list.   With the profusion of these newcomer natural wines, they often find themselves with not inexpensive and, to them, undrinkable bottles.    Sure, there are reliable natural winemakers who have been practicing this method in one form or another for many decades, like forever.    But there are a lot of newer winemakers out there who are making a less familiar style.

I have had no problem at so-called natural wine  cellars by simply asking the som to bring me something "without cloud, fizz or funk".    And they come up with some really nice stuff.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Had Jay called Frenchette to inquire about their corkage policy (i.e. they don't allow it), he could've saved himself the aggravation.

Don't get me started on Jay.    Talk about someone who has made a career out of pretending to know something.   

As I've said elsewhere, many very knowledgeable wine drinkers need to be able to ace a wine list.   With the profusion of these newcomer natural wines, they often find themselves with not inexpensive and, to them, undrinkable bottles.    Sure, there are reliable natural winemakers who have been practicing this method in one form or another for many decades.    But there are a lot of newer winemakers out there who are making a less familiar style.

I have had no problem at so-called natural wine  cellars by simply asking the som to bring me something "without cloud, fizz or funk".    And they come up with some really nice stuff.