• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I had a grain mill (two of which I could have traded for a root canal) I'd start off with commercial yeast.

I did that :)   and it works great....I just want to try having a starter.  

And, I think I do.  I did the 4th and final step of the pineapple juice method yesterday afternoon.  This morning it looks like this:

It's bubbly.  Like pancake batter only a tad thinner.  Does this look right?  It smells sour/good.

thumbnail_IMG_6466.jpg.28617b26d644b425fdaf69ba3fe3b556.jpg

If this is right, here is where I need help.

What now?  The instructions don't go any further.

I've read a bit on the internet and this link looks like good information.

If I follow those instructions, I keep my starter in the fridge and feed it at least once a week maybe twice?  I feed it equal weights of flour and water?  How do I know how much to discard? Or do I have to discard?  I would discard only to make sure that my starter isn't a massive amount, right?

Maybe this should be located in the absurdly simple cooking questions lol.

Edited to add one more question:

Do you have to bring this to room temperature to use it?

Shelby

Shelby

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I had a grain mill (two of which I could have traded for a root canal) I'd start off with commercial yeast.

I did that :)   and it works great....I just want to try having a starter.  

And, I think I do.  I did the 4th and final step of the pineapple juice method yesterday afternoon.  This morning it looks like this:

It's bubbly.  Like pancake batter only a tad thinner.  Does this look right?  It smells sour/good.

thumbnail_IMG_6466.jpg.28617b26d644b425fdaf69ba3fe3b556.jpg

If this is right, here is where I need help.

What now?  The instructions don't go any further.

I've read a bit on the internet and this link looks like good information.

If I follow those instructions, I keep my starter in the fridge and feed it at least once a week maybe twice?  I feed it equal weights of flour and water?  How do I know how much to discard? Or do I have to discard?  I would discard only to make sure that my starter isn't a massive amount, right?

Maybe this should be located in the absurdly simple cooking questions lol.