• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

Properly embed video!

Still in Tropical Fruits, but off towards the back end of it, are the citrus sellers from Bolívar and Los Ríos.  The centre picture is Don Valencia, who represents the largest collective of juicing orange growers in the county of Caluma (which is famous for its oranges.) Don Valencia sells Washington, Valencia, Seville, and Ice oranges, large juicing mandarines, and white grapefruits.  Sellers from the orange growing areas make a 4-6 hour drive in 20 tonne trucks to make it to the Sunday Market, through one of the world's two highest-altitude road passes.  They'll often nap while other family members take care of sales.

1667190555_250px-Los_Rios_in_Ecuador_(Galapagos)_svg.png.f6f97b6d399e5ca40bde8582cb364b66.png 1929514551_250px-Bolivar_in_Ecuador_(Galapagos)_svg.png.a6ee98e7214c9f40819382a1812fe5ca.png

(Los Ríos)                                                       (Bolívar)

Orange sellers in this area sell their produce to commercial juice producers and restaurants in crates ($20 each) and sacks ($10), and to families in smaller bags of $1-2.

IMG_20190609_110748.thumb.jpg.42062c9a756291194a88455b93a730ed.jpg IMG_20190609_110815.thumb.jpg.e733fd5c053ee5b1ce503c9dc32a7ea4.jpg IMG_20190609_110838.thumb.jpg.3e232e60f62e38cd45d0fdfcb56ec50e.jpg

I also missed showing you the guanabanas (soursops) - these cost between $3-5 depending on size, and sellers always have one fruit open for buyers to try before they commit to such a large purchase.  Also in this area are more obscure tropical fruits like the Borojó (foreground of the middle photo), which comes from the deeper Amazon.  This same vendor also has mangoes and cherimoya (custard apples).

IMG_20190609_111018.thumb.jpg.a28bf61813ea208c435697a5fd0265c1.jpg IMG_20190609_111108.thumb.jpg.ea5b10b59d90cbe18b6ab3d649ed8ad8.jpg 

This video gives an elevated view into tropical fruits.  It's not piled as high as it has been in previous weeks - we're approaching the end of watermelon season and coconut season hasn't quite started yet.

Still in Tropical Fruits, but off towards the back end of it, are the citrus sellers from Bolívar and Los Ríos.  The centre picture is Don Valencia, who represents the largest collective of juicing orange growers in the county of Caluma (which is famous for its oranges.) Don Valencia sells Washington, Valencia, Seville, and Ice oranges, large juicing mandarines, and white grapefruits.  Sellers from the orange growing areas make a 4-6 hour drive in 20 tonne trucks to make it to the Sunday Market, through one of the world's two highest-altitude road passes.  They'll often nap while other family members take care of sales.

1667190555_250px-Los_Rios_in_Ecuador_(Galapagos)_svg.png.f6f97b6d399e5ca40bde8582cb364b66.png 1929514551_250px-Bolivar_in_Ecuador_(Galapagos)_svg.png.a6ee98e7214c9f40819382a1812fe5ca.png

(Los Ríos)                                                       (Bolívar)

Orange sellers in this area sell their produce to commercial juice producers and restaurants in crates ($20 each) and sacks ($10), and to families in smaller bags of $1-2.

IMG_20190609_110748.thumb.jpg.42062c9a756291194a88455b93a730ed.jpg IMG_20190609_110815.thumb.jpg.e733fd5c053ee5b1ce503c9dc32a7ea4.jpg IMG_20190609_110838.thumb.jpg.3e232e60f62e38cd45d0fdfcb56ec50e.jpg

I also missed showing you the guanabanas (soursops) - these cost between $3-5 depending on size, and sellers always have one fruit open for buyers to try before they commit to such a large purchase.  Also in this area are more obscure tropical fruits like the Borojó (foreground of the middle photo), which comes from the deeper Amazon.  This same vendor also has mangoes and cherimoya (custard apples).

IMG_20190609_111018.thumb.jpg.a28bf61813ea208c435697a5fd0265c1.jpg IMG_20190609_111108.thumb.jpg.ea5b10b59d90cbe18b6ab3d649ed8ad8.jpg 

This video gives an elevated view into tropical fruits.  It's not piled as high as it has been in previous weeks - we're approaching the end of watermelon season and coconut season hasn't quite started yet.

• Similar Content

• By sartoric
      We love Japan ! 
      I don’t know why it hasn’t been on my travel radar until recently. The people, the places, the culture and history, and especially the FOOD.
      There will be no Michelin stars in this report, nor will there be names of restaurants. We ate mainly at isakaya, (local restaurants where there were often only four or five seats), markets (including supermarkets) with a few larger restaurants for balance. There is food available anywhere and anytime if you know where to look. Rather than large meals we tended to snack our way through the day. Some of the best things we ate at “standing bars” no chairs provided. 
      Karaage chicken with salad and miso was first up.

The window displays are amazing, you can walk many city blocks underground through various shopping malls, handy when it rained our first day.

At a local place. Chicken teriyaki, grilled peppers, potato salad, pickles.

Charcoal hibachi.

Grew to love sake.

• By Mullinix18
      I'm thinking about starting a blog featuring the recipes of antoine Carême that I've translated from 1700s French? No English versions of his works exist and his work is hard to find, even though he is the greatest chef who ever lived. After I get through his works I'd add menon, la Varenne, and other hard to find, but historically important masters of French cuisine. 
    • By Duvel
      Prologue:

Originally, we intended to spend this Chinese New Year in Hong Kong. We have travelled a lot last year and will need to attend a wedding already next month in Germany, so I was happy to spend some quiet days at home (and keep the spendings a bit under control as well). As a consequence, we had not booked any flights in the busiest travel time of the year in this region …

But – despite all good intentions – I found myself two weeks ago calling the hotline of my favourite airline in the region, essentially cashing in on three years of extensive business travel and checking where I could get on short notice over CNY on miles. I was expecting a laughter on the other side of the line but this is the one time my status in their loyalty reward program paid out big time: three seats for either Seoul or Kansai International (earliest morning flights, of course). No need to choose, really – Kyoto, here we come !

• By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.

• By KennethT
      OK, I'm back, by popular demand! hehe....  After being back for 2 days, I'm still struggling with crazy jetlag and exhaustion - so please bear with me!

This year, for our Asian adventure, we went to Bali, which for those who don't know, is one of the islands in Indonesia.  Bali is a very unique place - from its topology, to the people, language, customs, religion and food.  Whereas the majority of people in Indonesia are Muslim, most people in Bali are Balinese Hindu, which from what I understand is a little like Indian Hinduism, but has more ancestor worship.  Religion is very important to many people in Bali - there are temples everywhere, and at least in one area, there are religious processions through the street practically every day - but we'll get to that later.

Bali has some food unique to it among its Indonesian neighbors, but like everywhere, has seen quite a bit of immigration from other Indonesian islands (many from Java, just to the west) who have brought their classic dishes with them.

Basically all Indonesians speak Indonesian, or what they call Bahasa Indonesia, or just Bahasa, which, anyone who has read my prior foodblogs wouldn't be surprised to hear that I learned a little bit just before the trip.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to use any of it, except a couple times which were totally unnecessary.  When speaking with each other, most people in Bali speak Balinese (totally different from bahasa) - many times when I tried using my bahasa, they smiled and replied, and then tried to teach me the same phrase in Balinese!  As time went on, and I used some of the Balinese, I got lots of surprised smiles and laughs - who is this white guy speaking Balinese?!?  Seriously though, tourism has been in Bali for a very long time, so just about everyone we encountered spoke English to some degree.  Some people spoke German as well, as they supposedly get lots of tourists from Germany.  As one of our drivers was telling us, Bali is heavily dependent on tourism as they have no real industry other than agriculture, which doesn't pay nearly as well as tourism does.

While there are beaches all around the island, most of the popular beach areas are in the south of the island, and those areas are the most highly touristed.  We spent very little time in the south as we are not really beach people (we get really bored) and during planning, decided to stay in less touristed areas so we'd have more opportunities for local food... this didn't work out, as you'll see later.

So, it wouldn't be a KennethT foodblog without photos in the Taipei airport and I-Mei Dim Sum, which we called home for about 4 hours before our connection to Bali...

Beef noodle soup:

The interior:

This was the same as always - huge pieces of beef were meltingly tender.  Good bite to the thick chewy noodles.

Xie long bao (soup dumplings) and char siu bao (fluffy barbeque pork buns):