• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Biggest Little Farm - documentary film in theaters

blue_dolphin

Last week, I saw The Biggest Little Farm, a documentary film about a local farm here in Ventura County, Apricot Lane Farms.  Has anyone else seen it?  Some sections are a bit cute, particularly in the beginning, but both the photography and the story of returning vitality to the soil make it worth a watch, in my opinion.  

It's produced and directed by John Chester, who was a cameraman and filmmaker before he and his wife Molly bought a property in Moorpark, CA in 2011 that had been conventionally farmed lemon and avocado orchards and horse stables and, under the guidance of biodynamic consultant Alan York, began turning it into a biodiverse farm with stone fruit, citrus, avocados, and strawberries as well as chickens, sheep, ducks, cattle, and pigs.  Chester began making short films about the farm (see them here) for Oprah's Super Soul Sundays and eventually decided to make a full length documentary.  This article (Why Breakout Documentary ‘The Biggest Little Farm’ Didn’t Sell to Netflix, from Poop to Nuts) says that an individual investor funded the filming to the tune of $1 million. The film made the round of film festivals last year and is being shown fairly widely in theaters.

Apricot Lane Farms sells at my local farmers market and I've purchased lamb, pork and other products from them.  Their booth is usually staffed by some of the enthusiastic young people who work at the farm to learn about biodynamic agriculture.  I'm impressed with what they've done in 8 years.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...