• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfron1

Old Timey Recipe - What is "yeast flour"?

3 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

The recipe is from the 1830s for skillet cornbread. It already has a separate line for 1 C AP, so that's not it. What do you think?

Whats the amount of yeast flour?

Is there any other leavening like baking powder?

Maybe its just powdered yeast as opposed to a cake?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Not in these old recipes. Most of the technique is assumed.

As I suspected! But most cornbreads from the time were not leavened with yeast I don't think.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

As I suspected! But most cornbreads from the time were not leavened with yeast I don't think.

That gets to my other post about pone. I've seen leavened and un...the un generally called pone and fried in a hot cast iron. I haven't paid enough attention to all these old recipes to know when the introduction of baking powder happened in the area. It was invented in 1843.

Is there any instruction about letting the batter proof etc?

18 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Nope. 

Probably in the 1830s they couldn't imagine anyone not knowing all the bits they left out 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sourdough starter was my guess until looking at the quantity called for, not near enough. 

Have you tried speaking with Madeline Matson at the Missouri State Library?  (She is a food historian who has written a book “Food in Missouri, A Cultural Stew”

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertM said:

Have you tried speaking with Madeline Matson at the Missouri State Library?  (She is a food historian who has written a book “Food in Missouri, A Cultural Stew”

How has she passed my radar!? I'll look her up immediately.

• Like 1