• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: a separate meat grinder: recommendations pleasee

Darienne

Our beloved son feels he needs to grind up chicken and turkey to make a spaghetti sauce and so on.  Unfortunately he is currently living with a 90% blockage to his aorta with a stent procedure on June 24.  This is since early May.  This is also Nova Scotia.  

Our daughter-in-law will not have an 'ugly' metal meat grinder in the house...and they do not own a stand mixer so an attachment is out of the question.   Ed and I are about to send them a cheque to cover last month's expenses....long story...he was taking unpaid leave to come to stay with us when this completely unexpected problem was discovered.  He's not working until after the procedure but has lost one month's pay and an airline ticket (this is Canada) also.  If I send money to cover the cost and more...he won't buy an expensive grinder.  I've said, of course, a cheap plastic grinder is not worth buying.  So I'll buy one on Amazon.ca I expect and ship it to him.  Sorry for the long explanation, but as you might imagine, I'm more than a bit worried. 

So what are your suggestions please?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just Googled 'grind meat in a food mill' and came up with this example:

http://cookinwluv.blogspot.com/2014/05/tools-and-tips-food-mill.html

Of course, that's a manually-operated option that your son might not be able to manage at this time. If your daughter-in-law can deal with an ugly food processor in the house, that seems to be a good compromise...

• Thanks 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

3 hours ago, Joe Blowe said:

I just Googled 'grind meat in a food mill' and came up with this example:

http://cookinwluv.blogspot.com/2014/05/tools-and-tips-food-mill.html

Of course, that's a manually-operated option that your son might not be able to manage at this time. If your daughter-in-law can deal with an ugly food processor in the house, that seems to be a good compromise...

I have a Moulinex similar to the mill pictured.  While nice, these mills won't grind poultry, not in this millennium.

Darienne, is fresh ground chicken a particular pleasure for your son, or is ground chicken a medical necessity?  If the latter, what about store bought ground turkey or chicken?

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

With only "ugly" to go on, it's hard to guess what she finds objectionable about a meat grinder, though I suspect she's thinking of the type that clamps to a counter or table, usually made of tinned steel or iron, and operated via a hand crank. 

Though it's hard to call any meat grinder aesthetically pleasing (they all have the feed-tube-delivery-spout arrangement), electric grinders aren't as objectively ugly.  It might be worth your time to read through an earlier topic we had on them (I've linked to the last page, but you can back up if you're interested).

I don't know if Northern Tool (mentioned prominently in the linked topic) operates in Canada, but Bass Pro Shops does, and they carry a number of dedicated grinders that are similar to what one could get at NT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I cannot get this thread out of my mind.  So much does not add up.  We know Darienne's son is seriously ill and that he either craves or requires ground poultry.  We know the family is in poor financial circumstance.  We know Darienne's daughter in law will not have an ugly metal meat grinder (but why should this matter if her husband's health is at stake?).  And why is a metal meat grinder ugly?  And why is a plastic meat grinder not worth buying?  (I have one.)

I had a chef friend, she was a graduate of CIA, who maintained a meat grinder required built in refrigeration.  I looked at Dave's link, but unless the family is large, why do they require several hundred pounds an hour?

Do stores in Nova Scotia not sell poultry, ground or otherwise?  Some people locally process their own chickens, but that is by choice and not because dressed poultry is not readily and inexpensively available for purchase.

We don't know if Darienne's son has the physical capacity to chop meat.  But is he the only cook in family?  Could not his wife help with meal preparation?  It doesn't take much time or effort to chop up enough meat, say for a hamburger, using a chef knife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If your daughter-in-law is complaining about a possible meat-grinder ugliness in such a situation, then she will keep complaining no matter what you do.

Best thing in my opinion is sending them money and say "with this money you can buy what grinder you like, your choice". Time to grow up.

Teo

• Thanks 1

Teo

Thanks for all the replies.  I think something is wrong with my reception from eG because none of these responses were posted to me as usual and I just now found them because I decided to go straight to my post.  And I apologize for not posting enough material to make myself clear. 

Yes, he can use any kind of grinder and yes he does most of the cooking and a plastic or electric one is acceptable.  He is fine (and she is too) with some of the plastic models...just isn't ready to pay that kind of money.  And I don't know why his wife objects to the metal one.  I would not think of asking him.  And they are both quite grown up, thanks.   And neither of them is a complainer.  At all.  We all do have our peculiarities.  And he won't buy pre-ground ground because more additives are in it than in the unground.   And they don't need a lot...there are just the two of them.

And no, they are not financially strapped...we all won't pay more than a certain amount for certain items.  Ed bought two inexpensive peelers yesterday...I would not do that.   That's life. 

I think that he's facing a possible death for the first time in his life, having had nothing like heart trouble before.  And it was an accident that they even found the problem.  I won't explain further as I have already pulled this thread way out of straight 'cooking' terms.  

Amazon.ca or com is probably my best bet right now.  I'll read all the reviews and base my purchase on those.  Thanks again. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne My brother-in-law has a LEM grinder --I'm not sure which one (it's not a hand grinder), I'm sure it's not one of the really expensive ones.  Anyway, he uses his often and has said good things about it.  

• Thanks 1

@Darienne  Good grief, I think I've lost brain cells.  I forgot until just now.  I was talking to Ronnie, asking him about his brother's grinder and he reminded me that his mom bought him one too.  We've used it a few times when we don't want to drag out our huge grinder that we use for venison.  Anyway, I asked if he thought it would be good for grinding turkey and chicken.  He said it would be more than enough.  It's this model.  I took a quick picture of ours:

thumbnail_IMG_0389.jpg.c0d347b97f0466766c0a4bb5ae0a2348.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0390.jpg.08f54115df141a459daf7d3ece8d008e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Darienne  Good grief, I think I've lost brain cells.  I forgot until just now.  I was talking to Ronnie, asking him about his brother's grinder and he reminded me that his mom bought him one too.  We've used it a few times when we don't want to drag out our huge grinder that we use for venison.  Anyway, I asked if he thought it would be good for grinding turkey and chicken.  He said it would be more than enough.  It's this model.  I took a quick picture of ours:

Dear Shelby,  thanks so much and I dare say I've lost more brain cells than you have.  I also Googled LEM and found more meat grinders than you could shake a stick at.  Metal, granted, but not the 'old-fashioned' one (which I now I have somewhere in our Drive Shed...I think)  Thanks again. 

Oh boy!  Does it cost more in Canada!  (What else is new?)

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

C*R*A*P !!!

back in the day

I would have been all  over this

deciding to make my own sausage !

But back then

i was into mousseline!

not the sauce

a fine fish monger was 5 minutes away!

and the cuisinart 11 cup prep  did the job.

sorry I missed out on the meat Sausages

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/scallop-and-sole-mousselines-109196

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2009/07/mousseline/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-06-11-fo-49-story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, palo said:

Check out Amazon Canada

p

Will do that tomorrow.  Time to call an end to this day.  Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.